No announcement yet.

Flash Gordon is alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I've had a look at the weather forecast next week, booked the week off work, and have given myself a target to get the van MOT ready by Friday!

Lots of stuff to do, but should be doable. Just waiting for some dry weather to paint.

- finish painting front bumper metal.
    - rejoin bumper metal and headlight surrounds.
    - finish welding front arches and door steps.
    - paint and shutz everything
    - put front end back together.
    - fit turbo and EGT gauges.
    - start her! Then dial in the fuel and idle on the new fuel pump.
    - weld, paint and shutz inner sill under sliding door step.
    - weld, paint and shutz inner sill by front wheel arch.
    - weld, paint and shutz hole on NSR wheel arch.
    - finish repairing NS trailing arm mount.
    - fit new rear calipers and holders.
    - fit engine tray

- test drive.

If I've got time:

- fit new speakers in the front.
    - fit new carpet.
    - weld up old fitting holes in the floor section.
    - take out dash and sound deaden bulkhead.
    - 5th gear mod.
    - fit battery tray

Front bumper metal all keyed up and ready to paint!

Painting with this Lechler epoxy primer is great. Fully recommend this stuff! Marine grade, sprays lovely. But not cheap.

Only thing that's annoyed me is that I went over it with a tack cloth for about 10 minutes, and couldn't see any fibres or anything. But after spraying there are a few areas on the back covered in fibres. Ah well, they'll sand out before the sealer primer and then the 2k black.

If I've still got time I'll be getting my drone out for the first time in about 6 months. Had a big upgrade and got my license last night. Think I'm being a bit optimistic about time though haha.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Last edited by Jumbungla; 19 June 2020, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• Wheres the bit for the headlights on your cross member or are you yet to weld those on?

Comment

• Take no notice, I hadn't read it properly. Its been a stressful morning.

Comment

• That’s a week of work - took me that long to decide on roof colour - good luck! Mind you, spotted another soft patch on the inner arch yesterday and had it sorted within hand an hour. When needs must!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
            Painting with this Lechler epoxy primer is great.
            Yay - another convert to epoxy primer.... just have S49 and Hans to convince...

Progress is looking good bud, fair old to do list, but break them down, tick them off and it'll be done, see you at Santa pod in september? I'll be there in my 6 speed tailgated 300 hp T4 or in the V10 doka.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Yay - another convert to epoxy primer.... just have S49 and Hans to convince...

Progress is looking good bud, fair old to do list, but break them down, tick them off and it'll be done, see you at Santa pod in september? I'll be there in my 6 speed tailgated 300 hp T4 or in the V10 doka.
              Haha, yeah, it dries rock solid. Even knocked it a couple of times and no chips or anything.

But I've just chucked 1ltr of the Bilt Hamber epoxy mastic in the basket online. Sounds great.

We'll be there if it's running and we don't have to bring a chemical toilet with us, haha.

Comment

• Pretty pleased with the progress today - although most of it was spraying my metal bumper.

Broke my paint filter holder - so just printed a new one on the 3d printer. Absolutely love it haha.

Epoxy primer was nice and hard, so flatted back.

Put my little Bluetooth thermometer in the spray tent and I was running a balmy 46°C and 18% humidity. Bit hot for painting!

Opened the tent up and got it down to 30°C, shut the door and started spraying.

1 coat of Lechler sealer primer and 3 coats of Jawel 2k gloss black.

Once the door of the tent had been shut for a while it went back up to ~45°C - which means I basically had it on a "low bake" while curing.

Really happy with the finish now! Although I got some old paint dust fall onto it from the roof of the tent. But not really noticeable - and no one is going to see it anyway!

Then moved back onto the front arches and door steps.

Quickly realised that the passenger side needed some serious attention. And that if I wanted to repair it properly it would need a fair amount of welding. So some drastic measures were needed.

Out comes the fuel tank! Gave it a quick rinse and scrub.

Fuel was remarkably clean out of the tank. Only a couple of lumps of rust or something.

Only trouble is, there are a few major cuts from an angle grinder on the fuel tank! (not me) They don't go through the whole skin, so I reckon I'm alright?

Could always try that plastic welding people were talking about the other day?

Really glad I took it off though, can properly see what I have to deal with on the step.

Ah well, that's for tomorrow!

Last edited by Jumbungla; 22 June 2020, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• If it was me and the tank isn't leaking i'd leave alone. Loving this thread.

Comment

• If i'm not mistaken isn't that that pale blue under coat I've spotted on all 3 of ours and mentioned on another thread?

Comment

• Cheers Si!

And yeah the whole under carriage is a greeny blue colour. Wonder why they chose that? Must've had a bulk load of the paint at the factory that they didn't want to use haha.

Comment

• So its official greeny blue ones are the fastest.

Comment

• Anyone know what this bit is on the fuel tank? Doesn't look like it connects anywhere - so I assume it's just a breather pipe?

It's completely perished. Doesn't look like it's easy to get hold of.

Comment

• Got to be a breather. You could put a section of fuel pipe on the plastic pipe then bit a carb inline fuel filter on the end to stop any shit going down it.

Comment

• Shit in the Carb. Those were the days.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                                Shit in the Carb. Those were the days.
                                We still live those days with the Scirocco.

Sent from a muppet
                                #vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X