Rosy the Red wReck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    Theres a few nice pics from that trip, other than the camera lenses are there any changes to follow from the painted maidens voyage?
    No changes really just additions that we were always going to do. Swivel passenger seat being a big one and get a voltage regulator for the hard wired multicolour mood lighting I fitted and nearly cooked lol (any tips greatly appreciated)

Underslung fresh water tank as we tried off grid when it came to washing pots and stuff and we used about 20litres of water a day. I’d want 60litres really and under the sliding door to send the weight to the passengers side.

Also need to get some shelves in the kitchen unit and another huge one will be a drawer for utensils and cutlery.

Got another trip booked to snowdonia in about 5 weeks so I’ll get most of this stuff done by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    #vanlife

Comment

• I think a passenger swivel is a must in a day van/camper. Just opens it all up a treat. And if some twat forgets the pump for the air bed at least one of ya can get a bit a kip in some sort of almost comfort.
      Last edited by S49; 27 April 2021, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• This engine is consuming a huge amount of my research and admin time at the minute, primarily, the turbo. I’m still not sure which way to go. The K03 would spoil great but they’re supposed to be shite for high boost and best kept to 12psi to be ‘efficient’ I’m more than happy to push that and if I add a billet wheel I reckon it’ll handle 18psi okay. Then the thing that springs to mind is the small turbine exducer, I’m thinking it might not flow that great.

Other option is the gtd K24, this would be easy as I can get hold of a manifold for that from the gtd but I’m not sure on the sizes and then lag. The weekend away and the hills and roads reminded me of the usage it will get and spool is tipping me towards the K03 at the minute.

Someone I’ve been speaking to that ran the K24 on an ABL said that peak boost wasn’t until 3000rpm but that’s a different donkey and the DI AHU with bigger injectors should see that peak boost move down the Rev range a bit I would think.

Unsure on whether to go 2” for the exhaust or 2.5”. The latter seems a bit like overkill. I’ll take a look at what’s available for 2.25”. Rear exit this time and more than 1 see through absorption silencer.

Last edited by TommyP; 27 April 2021, 09:38 PM.
        #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
          I think a passenger swivel is a must in a day van/camper. Just opens it all up a treat. And if some twat forgets the pump for the air bed at least one of ya can get a bit a kip in some sort of almost comfort.
          I think you’re bang on the money mate, makes 2 comfy spaces to chill indoors on a cold evening without the awning. One slobber out on the bed and the other in a absurdly comfy Saab 9-5 Aero armchair.

Hahahaha no issue there with ours, the rock and roll bed is bafflingly comfortable. I always though it would be shit but it’s a great nights kip. Really surprised at that when we first went away a few years ago.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
            This engine is consuming a huge amount of my research and admin time at the minute, primarily, the turbo. I’m still not sure which way to go. The K03 would spoil great but they’re supposed to be shite for high boost and best kept to 12psi to be ‘efficient’ I’m more than happy to push that and if I add a billet wheel I reckon it’ll handle 18psi okay. Then the thing that springs to mind is the small turbine exducer, I’m thinking it might not flow that great.

Other option is the gtd K24, this would be easy as I can get hold of a manifold for that from the gtd but I’m not sure on the sizes and then lag. The weekend away and the hills and roads reminded me of the usage it will get and spool is tipping me towards the K03 at the minute.

Someone I’ve been speaking to that ran the K24 on an ABL said that peak boost wasn’t until 3000rpm but that’s a different donkey and the DI AHU with bigger injectors should see that peak boost move down the Rev range a bit I would think.

Unsure on whether to go 2” for the exhaust or 2.5”. The latter seems a bit like overkill. I’ll take a look at what’s available for 2.25”. Rear exit this time and more than 1 see through absorption silencer.

Someone you were talking to talks a lot of shite...K24 all the way, on a 2.5 pipe.

GTD fanny wont fit, not without a big brummy screwdriver.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
              I think a passenger swivel is a must in a day van/camper. Just opens it all up a treat. And if some twat forgets the pump for the air bed at least one of ya can get a bit a kip in some sort of almost comfort.
              I bet SHE didn't forget it again! Haha

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Someone you were talking to talks a lot of shite...K24 all the way, on a 2.5 pipe.

GTD fanny wont fit, not without a big brummy screwdriver.
                I thought the gtd Mani would fit as it looks the same port fitment? I thought I’d need that for the k24?

2.5” exhaust it is then.

#vanlife

Comment

• I think the K24's too big, a K14 will take you to 150bhp (lol) and supply the torque early enough to make hills and cruising comfortable. It'll take all that unburnt fuel that an mtdi can spew out too.

Comment

I think the K24's too big, a K14 will take you to 150bhp (lol) and supply the torque early enough to make hills and cruising comfortable. It'll take all that unburnt fuel that an mtdi can spew out too.
                    Yep considering the k14 too but having said that, the K24 on an IDI 1.9 with .216 injectors and a billet wheel should see lower peak boost than 3000rpm anyway I think.

I came across the IHI (Mitsubishi) TD04 range last night and although most are fitted to petrol engines, some, like the Impreza 220bhp(?) WRX have a small one in TD04 terms but it’s still bigger than the K03. I’m thinking along the lines of half way between the K24 and the K03 but I’m still not sold on anything so it could lead to any. The benefit of the TD04’s is that the majority of them look like they will fit the standard AHU mani which is great and there are a few documented 1.9 Tdi mk3’s etc that run TD04s and they seem so far to be a good compromise and maybe a good all round bit of kit.

Turbo sizing is a bit of a balancing act between peak boost level and flow.

#vanlife

Comment

• Im sure Sausages TDI remapped hit 129bhp and 254lbft using a K03 hybrid(?) & 216's but peak torque was around 1800rpm(?) too low for most T4 gearboxes. Anyway by the time its ready to fit you'll have bought another 70 choices and still be mulling over your options! ;-)

Comment

I think the K24's too big,
                        Yeah, bloody idiots at VW, fitting one to their first ever production performance TD 1.6 cars, the Jetta and Golf GTs, what were they thinking, guess there was no internet where they could get advice....

Perhaps they did know...perhaps the K14 ones were a bit too good and robbing petrol sales, perhaps they thought 'we'll fit a big laggy turbo to make these a bit more shite.'

Tommy, the K24 is too big, sell it to a Devonian fucknugget...

Comment

IAnyway by the time its ready to fit you'll have bought another 70 choices and still be mulling over your options! ;-)
                          Mr Pot meet Mr Kettle....

Comment

Those were my thoughts.

Comment

hahaha. .

Comment

Yeah, bloody idiots at VW, fitting one to their first ever production performance TD 1.6 cars, the Jetta and Golf GTs, what were they thinking, guess there was no internet where they could get advice....

Perhaps they did know...perhaps the K14 ones were a bit too good and robbing petrol sales, perhaps they thought 'we'll fit a big laggy turbo to make these a bit more shite.'

Tommy, the K24 is too big, sell it to a Devonian fucknugget...
                                On a unrestricted 1980's Autobahn it was probably alright in any of those *cars*. Likewise the boffins at the very same VW thought why fit this heavy weight monster turbo and improve the reviews across the World on restricted roads by fitting a K03, K04, K14, K16 etc . The K24 was originally designed and fitted to early Audis cutting edge 5 cylinder petrol & diesel engines and in many of them it was also shit oh and too big. The turbine is too large for the compressor in lower powered cars.. Porsche ditched them for the K16 which continues today .... and probably needed rid as they ended up being sold into Lancia , Fiat and marine engines.

I've had a K24 hybrid fitted for 2 years which works for one of the setups on my vans. On a 1.9 and 02B gearbox its overkill as it'll never see 150bhp hence the K14 suggestion. You can fit a 60mm compressor (K24) wheel to one too without compromising the torque delivery but its not necessary.

I like the MHI TD range too Tom. I'll look up the spec info.

Comment

Working...
                                X