Clarissa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarissa

This is Clarissa, she is a 1.9 caravelle. She has recently turned 25 years young. As you can see, I've started my journey into transforming her into my first camper. Up to now, I only know about 2 issues with her. Firstly she has no 5th gear and secondly the ignition gave up on me as soon as she arrived home in sunny Warrington. I have ordered a new ignition switch through flea bay, a good mate of mine tested the power to and from the ignition, and everything was fine. So only 2 options left, a new switch or barrel, so I started with the cheapest fix, a fiver for the switch. I will let you know when it arrives.
    So for the fun part, out with the old and in with the new. A couple of hours later and most of the interior is out. I'll soon be down to a blank canvass and be able to sound proof and insulate her, then make the units to my own design. Everything now is just finding time and funds.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Just T4s

I look forward to the updates and developments.

Comment

Yep, watching with interest,

Sent from my SM-T810 using Just T4s

Comment

The fifth gear is out on it's own under the end cover of the gearbox so you can check it without taking the box out.

Comment

Originally posted by Laz View Post
          The fifth gear is out on it's own under the end cover of the gearbox so you can check it without taking the box out.
          I'll check it out soon, thanks for the advice.

Comment

Any queries just ask. Looking forward your build thread.

Comment

Hi. I have a fifth gear. Spare. From my old van

Good luck

Comment

Could just be linkage bushes not allowing you to get fifth.

That bed was nasty, the cupboard was pretty damn shonky too, van looks good for an M plate - interested to see the progress.

Comment

I’m sure I read on here a while back that someone lost 5th and it was extremely low gearbox oil in the end. They topped it up and it was fine after that.

If it was me personally, I’d change all the linkage bushes and drop and change the gearbox oil too. On an M plate I think yours will be the ball joint type linkage so may be worth looking at the relay lever with the ball joints on it. Whilst you’re there you could consider ordering a 14mm threaded ball joint to do the short shift mod. I think I got mine from SGS engineering. Secure it with either a shockproof or spring washer and a locknut just to be sure. I hade one come undone once. Set the linkage up as per the Haynes manual after and with a bit of luck it may be like brand new.

Sent from a muppet
                  #vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                    I’m sure I read on here a while back that someone lost 5th and it was extremely low gearbox oil in the end. They topped it up and it was fine after that.

If it was me personally, I’d change all the linkage bushes and drop and change the gearbox oil too. On an M plate I think yours will be the ball joint type linkage so may be worth looking at the relay lever with the ball joints on it. Whilst you’re there you could consider ordering a 14mm threaded ball joint to do the short shift mod. I think I got mine from SGS engineering. Secure it with either a shockproof or spring washer and a locknut just to be sure. I hade one come undone once. Set the linkage up as per the Haynes manual after and with a bit of luck it may be like brand new.

Sent from a muppet
                    Yeah I lost 5th when I had my gearbox oil leak. Worth an easy try with a top up. But bigger question, if that does fix it, is why it leaked.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Comment

I'll have gearbox parts too so shout up!

Comment

Originally posted by mike_skinner View Post
                        I'll have gearbox parts too so shout up!
                        Cheers mate, I'll keep you informed of my progress when my manual turns up, and I start to tackle it.

Comment

Originally posted by wajm1 View Post
                          This is Clarissa, she is a 1.9 caravelle. She has recently turned 25 years young. As you can see, I've started my journey into transforming her into my first camper. Up to now, I only know about 2 issues with her. Firstly she has no 5th gear and secondly the ignition gave up on me as soon as she arrived home in sunny Warrington. I have ordered a new ignition switch through flea bay, a good mate of mine tested the power to and from the ignition, and everything was fine. So only 2 options left, a new switch or barrel, so I started with the cheapest fix, a fiver for the switch. I will let you know when it arrives.
                          So for the fun part, out with the old and in with the new. A couple of hours later and most of the interior is out. I'll soon be down to a blank canvass and be able to sound proof and insulate her, then make the units to my own design. Everything now is just finding time and funds.

It's been a while since my last posting, so a quick update. Been cracking on with the fitout between working and finding funds. Now ready for the final push. It's been enjoyable and a learning curve. Can't wait to see her all finished. All the bits and bobs are on their way, just need a smev sink / cooker at a realistic price now.

Comment

Hi. Mate. Looking good. More pics needed when finished

Good luck with it

Comment

Lookin tidy!!

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                              X