No announcement yet.

Project T4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished the laminate flooring on Sunday, it looked hideous. Nothing sat right nothing was straight. Very nearly tore it all back out again but packed up and had a coffee instead.

Buy a t4 they said... It'll be fun they said.
    Buy a T4 they said... It'll be fun they said!!

Comment

Took off the gearstick selector rod and removed the bushes. Put the new ones in and they smaller that pushes into the cup pushed right through and split the bush. Furious. So had to re order a kit. This time I have gone genuine vw.

Comment

Also the ball joint for the short shift mod turns out to be too small. So after some googking I've found a website that sells the right size (16mm)
        https://www.goodhanduk.co.uk/Catalog...19H9-K07131914

Comment

Stick with it mate the rewards outweigh the problems [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Don't let it get you down mate, stay positive, you're doing great. Think of all the advice you'll be able to give

Comment

Originally posted by nate6874 View Post
              Started in the laminate floor today, then realised there's not a straight panel or line inside the van, what's not wonky is covered in sealant. Not finished but getting close. [ATTACH]4989[/ATTACH]

Hi Nate,

I've not long done my laminate, are you laying it on ply or directly on the van floor? I'd recommend on ply so you have a flat level surface, I think I went for 12mm but that was a bit overkill really. It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like the laminate isn't fully engaged in places, mine was doing that and to fix it a block of wood on the opposite side tapped lightly with a hammer did the job and they all lined up, be careful to put the wood against the main part of the laminate not the lip so as not to damage it.

hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs here, I'd only done it once before years ago so I got a mate to help and those were all his tips for me.

keep it up and keep the photos coming

Cheers
              Ric

Comment

Originally posted by ricrhys View Post
                I'd recommend on ply so you have a flat level surface, I think I went for 12mm but that was a bit overkill really.
                yeah. as i've found putting seat rails in mine - even if it didn't have dents all over it from the careless original owner, the corrugations in the floor aren't all the bloody same height from the factory anyway.

it's possibly the only part of the t5 that is superior to the t4, in those the corrugations are pressed down into the floor instead of up so you get a nice even surface inside to build on.
                my van - http://just-t4s.co.uk/showthread.php...02-800-special

Comment

Isn't the laminate running the wrong way?

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                    Isn't the laminate running the wrong way?
                    Why's that? Is it supposed to run a certain way? I thought it would be down to personal preference.

Comment

• Originally posted by ricrhys View Post
                      Hi Nate,

I've not long done my laminate, are you laying it on ply or directly on the van floor? I'd recommend on ply so you have a flat level surface, I think I went for 12mm but that was a bit overkill really. It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like the laminate isn't fully engaged in places, mine was doing that and to fix it a block of wood on the opposite side tapped lightly with a hammer did the job and they all lined up, be careful to put the wood against the main part of the laminate not the lip so as not to damage it.

hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs here, I'd only done it once before years ago so I got a mate to help and those were all his tips for me.

keep it up and keep the photos coming

Cheers
                      Ric
                      I've just noticed,this is the photo of it mocked up not how it is now.

Comment

• Project T4

Ah ok that explains it, I went lengthways too, less cuts and joins and felt like the stronger option to me Reg?

Sent from my iPad using Just T4s

Last edited by ricrhys; 7 June 2017, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ricrhys View Post
                          Ah ok that explains it, I went lengthways too, less cuts and joins and felt like the stronger option to me Reg?

Looks great, did you take yours right up to the black trim of the rear step?

Comment

• Now that looks great. I wish I had done something like that. A big [emoji106]

sent from a t6 (As if am not that sad)

Comment

• Just to the lump of the door frame, still needs finishing off.

Comment

• What you doing with the wheel arch?

sent from a t6 (As if am not that sad)

Comment

Working...
                                X