Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the van on the deck earlier, then a quick spin. All good. Got a window on the ramp Saturday morning to play with the ride height and the arch gap. It drives like a different van.

I hope to start the brakes tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Stuck the heavy duty springs on, sh!t a brick it's a swamper 10cm arch gap ffs.... but leaving them on as I need a few days to sort both adjusters out.

They've been on the van for 10 years and whilst I've now freed both off, the offside piece threads look damaged. The nearside spins freely and feels good. Rather than damage the threads further, I've messaged Kev (Fruitbat) if he would recut the threads for me.

Comment

• Bilt Hamber turned up this morning, took a few days longer than advised though.

Comment

• Temporary swamper look, used the heavy duty springs & no plates,.... back on the ramp Monday - worth a drive and a roll around the roundabouts but I duckin hate it! Eeeek. I must of been seriously MAAAAD.

I've now worked out that 245/45R18's will add 4mm more sidewall but I can drop the body tight and low on top of them.

Last edited by Activ8; 21 March 2020, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
            I've now worked out that 245/45R18's will add 4mm more sidewall but I can drop the body tight and low on top of them.
            Do you think....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200321_152657.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	693.3 KB
ID:	290919

This is what Kumho 225/45 17s are currently doing to my NS arch - strange as the 225/45 17 Jingyu tyres cleared. I need a turn up on the height adjusters.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Do you think...

This is what Kumho 225/45 17s are currently doing to my NS arch - strange as the 225/45 17 Jingyu tyres cleared. I need a turn up on the height adjusters.
              Well you did say you were going to experiment with rolling the arches?

What springs and wheel offset are you running?

Last edited by Activ8; 25 March 2020, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Well you did say you were going to experiment with rolling the arches?

What springs and wheel offset are you running?
                Didn't get round to it...as sausages pointed out, it's not that easy.

Standard springs (that's the front!)

ET35 on an 8" rim

They dont like wallowy bumps on a bit of lock or enthusiastic roundabouts - especially with a passenger on board
                Last edited by regcheeseman; 23 March 2020, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Didn't get round to it...as sausages pointed out, it's not that easy.

Standard springs (that's the front!)

ET35 on an 8" rim

They dont like wallowy bumps on a bit of lock or enthusiastic roundabouts - especially with a passenger on board
                  What colour / diameter front torsion bars?
                  You might want to buy druggedonions "greys"?

Comment

• Its funny how some vans catch so bad and others no where near.
                    mine is an early van with vogtland 40mm lowering springs. I am running 7.5x17 et 45 wheels with 25mm spacers and 225 55 17 tyres.
                    I have had the van fully loaded and it never catches
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• Originally posted by lister View Post
                      Its funny how some vans catch so bad and others no where near.
                      mine is an early van with vogtland 40mm lowering springs. I am running 7.5x17 et 45 wheels with 25mm spacers and 225 55 17 tyres.
                      Yeh, its odd.... looks great in the pics. Is it drum brakes at the rear?
                      So you run ET20 with a 679mm tyre diameter using a 225/55R17 tyre.
                      I've got this on my Irish LWB too, although I think I have 215 on the front.
                      Its a lovely fit in the arches.

Comment

Yeh, its odd.... looks great in the pics. Is it drum brakes at the rear?
                        So you run ET20 with a 679mm tyre diameter using a 225/55R17 tyre.
                        I've got this on my Irish LWB too, although I think I have 215 on the front.
                        Its a lovely fit in the arches.
                        Yeah. Drum brakes in the rear. Keep on think about upgrading to discs but i have only had to replace one handbrake cable in the past 10 years so why change what works really well...

Comment

What colour / diameter front torsion bars?
                          You might want to buy druggedonions "greys"?

Dunno what I have - standard fitment for a 1200 van I guess - are greys better than pinks?

Originally posted by lister View Post
                          Its funny how some vans catch so bad and others no where near.
                          Are you running spacers on the front because it don't look like it and that would be your difference to my set up.

Comment

Dunno what I have - standard fitment for a 1200 van I guess - are greys better than punks
                            You can check what's fitted on your build label. Mines 1BA see pic below.

To my knowledge there are 5 different torsion bars used on the T4 :

23.8 mm, white marking, for payloads up to 800 kg
                            25.3 mm, green marking, for payloads up to 1,000 kg
                            26.4 mm, brown marking, for front axle loads up to 1,520 kg and payload 1,000 kg
                            27.9 mm, purple marking, for front axle loads up to 1,600 kg payload 1,000 to 2,000 kg
                            28.6 mm, gray marking, for sports suspension

I've contacted druggedonions for a price and delivery on the grays.
                            Last edited by Activ8; 24 March 2020, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Dunno what I have - standard fitment for a 1200 van I guess - are greys better than pinks?

Are you running spacers on the front because it don't look like it and that would be your difference to my set up.
                              I am running 10mm spacers on the front. What you can see sticking out is one of the metal over arch trims. Will be going as soon as i fit the new wing. I also have the pink torsion bars fitted.
                              Last edited by lister; 24 March 2020, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• What do you reckon to these rims?
                                18x8.5J 2x ET35 & 2x ET40
                                Looking at fitting the 245/45R18 100W Achilles ATR Sport Tyres I collected today.

Got a set of 5x E34 BMW alloys included as the seller couldn't be arsed stripping the tyres off plus it made up for the fact one had a screw in the tread and one tyre was Federal tyre of the same size. Tons of tread look almost new. Chuffed. Ordered two more Achilles used tyres from eBay to match. Here tomorrow.

This combo will drop the 19" tyre diameter from 694mm to the 18's 678mm diameter, 19 profile with 106mm to the 18's 110mm both of which should sit better in the arches and allow the bodywork to sit on top without nearly scraping the rear bumper plus with the wider tyre a little rim protection too.

Should be nice with the red V6 calipers fitted as well.

Last edited by Activ8; 25 March 2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X