Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    This is a Derbyshire based "Natural Cleaning Products supplier" Dri-Pak. This link should open up a pdf page with advice for buyers for stores online & offline.

https://www.dri-pak.co.uk/buy/

Search around though and buy in bulk as once you start to use natural products such as citric acid & how good the stuff is you'll be using it regularly. Buy a big tub & lid for larger parts. I've a few sets of the 313mm brakes that I'll be cleaning this way shortly to compare with the hour's of knotted wheel cleaning previous.

so you like the citric then.....

Just don't put ally in - some cast irons turn to sludge as well.

Can be done cold - it's much slower. I had vats of it outside and just dunked stuff for days/weeks

The surface will flash rust really quick, so get it cleaned and protected as soon as it is removed from the bath.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

so you like the citric then.....

Just don't put ally in - some cast irons turn to sludge as well.

Can be done cold - it's much slower. I had vats of it outside and just dunked stuff for days/weeks

The surface will flash rust really quick, so get it cleaned and protected as soon as it is removed from the bath.
      Yep, on many levels.
      Over twenty four hours a strong solution will de-solve rubber seals and some plastic parts too.
      I've bought one of those cheap Aldi / Lidl type handy sized steam cleaners thinking that with a balanced solution (need to check the internals per your comment above) it "might" be a good way to apply to parts in situ?

Kurust quickly applied after being washed off with clean fresh tap water buys you a couple of hours before you sort out a liberal coat of Hammerite (other products - I believe - are available?)

Bilt Hamber might have something but I've no experience or knowledge of whats out there from them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
        I've bought one of those cheap Aldi / Lidl type handy sized steam cleaners
        NO, less than useless at anything, bin fodder.

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
        Kurust
        NO

Hammerite
        NO NO NO

Bilt Hamber
        YES Hydrate 80, De-Ox gel, electrox

Comment

NO, less than useless at anything, bin fodder.

NO

NO NO NO

YES Hydrate 80, De-Ox gel, electrox
          Hydrate 80 is good shit, it has kept little rust spots at bay for about 3 years now. I will get around to sorting them soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• At the garage and next door was this ....

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Whilst in the garage was this ....
              Its got less rust on it than it would of had out of the factory (not quite) .... stood unused for 18 years in a garage, immaculate interior. Billy basic 1.6 Laser!
              Last edited by Activ8; 20 March 2020, 01:06 AM.

Comment

• Almost as desirable as the brooklands now!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• As the roads were becoming frankly diabolical in and around Derby, I started to ponder thoughts of going smaller - from my tried, trusted & well loved Lorinser 19" old skool rims. They've been on the van for 10 years!

I've got plenty of rims to choose from, contemplated banded steels and almost every config of tyre size and combination.

To cut a long story short I knew I couldn't just abandon 19's and thought I'd found a compromise. Increase the profile, add some sidewall and accept a chunkier look. I was searching for a set of new bargain tyres preferring 235/40's but stumbled across a new set of Landsail LS588 SUV 235/45's in Chesterfield £300 quids worth of tyre for £160 collected.

Homework done I thought I'd got it covered . A puncture last Sunday got me physically looking at how these "huge" tyres were actually going to fit - I began to worry and thought I'd messed up. The tape measure said NO. A quick exchange of messages with Hans, also running 19's, cleared up some concerns albeit the focus became the offset - his Winter rides were 8mm bigger but on an ET45, mine ET35.

This virus created a few time slots in my mates garage and kindly allowed me to get on a ramp during the week. So this afternoon the 235/35 82mm sidewall profile has expanded to 110mm with these rated Landsail 235/45R19's. Measuring an OEM diameter of 647mm to the tyre calculators 694mm. First side fitted with no rubbing on either lock on the nearside!

And the rears, ... after replacing the 2 year old Sachs HD for a new rear set, I freed off the spring adjuster and with a little playing around on the lift got the rears to fit albeit the adjuster is at the top. May need to feather a little off the rear bumper but I'll wait until both sides are fitted and levelled off and the arch gaps matched.

Last edited by Activ8; 20 March 2020, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• Got the brakes ready to go on, albeit theres a little painting i'd like to sort beforehand but getting on the ramp is more of a priority as it saves a ton of time , plus I don't want to get caught out without the van if a curfew & quarantine etc. is implemented. So, get this job sorted before moving on to the brakes and the job can be completed and driven away. Need to fill up too make sure theres a full tank with events developing.

Comment

• With the larger profiled tyre on my red dayvan, I thought I'd calculate the gearing change with the EWB gearbox and upgraded 5th.
                      I'll need to modify and adjust the code to adjust the rpm and speed in the cluster.

Its a 7% increase in rolling diameter, doesn't sound a lot really but it does eek out a little more speed and
                      again something to think about if you're not fortunate to have the EWB's gearing. You could argue that changing the tyres is financially comparative to the fifth gear upgrade, food for thought perhaps. The 5th 0.658 ratio I fitted offers a 6% increase, the 0.622 Reg fitted would be greater still.

Here's the table comparing the rpm / output speeds between the old tyre profile 235/35R19 (green) and the new 235/45R19 (orange).

VW_T4_EWB_Activ8 Revised Gearing for 235-45-R19
                      Last edited by Activ8; 21 March 2020, 12:48 AM.

Comment

• Images not working for me?

Comment

Images not working for me?
                          Sorted.
                          I had to amend the code last night in the app as it was displaying rubbish (lol ;-)) which sorted the pics being displayed in the app but obviously not the corrcet code for the forum site!

Comment

• With the increased ride height it's now got me thinking about side bars / side skirt and creating a deeper side profile. A quick call to Eggerton Steel in Derby gave me some pricing. The stainless tubing needed to be bought in 6m lengths as it's not kept on the shelf - overkill for my needs. I think each side length is 2.15m. Although I could use some for the exhaust....

I ordered some mild steel box section and bar. Cuts were free so just need to find some drawings and arrange collection next week. Really helpful guys plus I can rummage in the off cut selection once I'm ready to collect. Need to read up on the MIG requirements and have some practice as all I've bodged to date has been stainless.

Stay focussed - BRAKES & CLUTCH!

Comment

• Back on the ramp to do the offside this afternoon.
                              Tyres fitted and done, Sachs HD shock fitted but the rear spring adjuster was seized solid, the threads are fubar.
                              Cannot search on my phone efficiently, so returned home to pick up some OEM springs to drop in and clear the ramp and review my options. I'll measure those up and run it by an online spring calculator.

"Justins" suspension crate was located, one for T4 and the other for T5.

Got 2x OEM pairs in the T4 crate ;
                              255/15/145 with 3 active coils and a blue VAG paint marking.
                              1,255.333 N @ 238.500 Loaded Height
                              5,021.332 N @ 189.000 Loaded Height
                              Max Load For This Spring: 6,444.755 N / 657KG

230/17/155 with 4 active coils and marked up 74072 T113283
                              873.540 N @ 218.900 Loaded Height
                              4,367.699 N @ 174.500 Loaded Height
                              Max Load For This Spring: 8,668.703 N / 883KG

Plus bagged up were these.... its been a while but glad to see I found some, plus it'll give me some options I hope as the spring adjuster that works is wound right out.

Text to Fruitbat about making a copy of the good one or a pair.
                              The adjusters allow me to set the ride height and look, as opposed to calculating the active coil and total coil movement.
                              New springs from Faulkner perhaps - need some advice here, as the van is mainly driven empty but used and loaded up for trips out and camping.
                              Last edited by Activ8; 20 March 2020, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• Cleaned up both sets and a set of rubber plates. Back over there now to have a play and hopefully find a combo that works!
                                Look how these oem units have cleaned up... and a cut above the 3rd party spring coatings.

Comment

Working...
                                X