Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    For the money it's worth what's provided and works just fine. I'll call in at SGS and have a chat about different fixings for the strut then change it when it needs replacing. Pulled two thinner struts (same length etc. from a scrapped Saxo boot that'll work aswell.
    Yep for the money it's fine, I'll probably end up fitting mine the same way when I try to sort the fixing and fail - I've got spare struts already and was going to make my own brackets but it's just not worth it when the kit is so cheap. I need to make it more OEM to pacify the OCD.....

    Comment


    • Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
      Yep for the money it's fine, I'll probably end up fitting mine the same way when I try to sort the fixing and fail - I've got spare struts already and was going to make my own brackets but it's just not worth it when the kit is so cheap. I need to make it more OEM to pacify the OCD.....
      Believe me .... I wanted it true to the wing line and in stainless! I had a minor paddy when I went out to fit it.... needed a tea break then F'it put it in and fix it next time and better than carrying the stay in the van!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
        Believe me .... I wanted it true to the wing line and in stainless! I had a minor paddy when I went out to fit it.... needed a tea break then F'it put it in and fix it next time and better than carrying the stay in the van!
        No worry regarding excess van payload - It's on the garage shelf next to the K&N .......and the CV boot......and the new USB socket........and the tailgate parts.......and the new aerial lead.

        Even got a couple of stickers from the pod I've not got round to fitting yet!

        Comment


        • Air Fuel Ratio reared its head in a previous thread. I cannot find the exact post but thought as Im mapping today I would offer some tuning insights;

          I use these calcs when switching MAF (or airmass) based smoke limiters to MAP (air pressure) based smoke limiters.
          Simply looking at it, its as follows;

          MAF
          At sea level 1000mg/s passes through the vans sensor housing at 0 degrees Celcius, so at a mapped 18:1 AFR (Air Fuel Ratio, burn is smokeless) the mapped van adds 55.5mg/s diesel.

          MAP
          At sea level the same air passes through the vans sensor housing and temperature, then enters the turbo charger to produce 1.5bar over atmospheric pressure (1bar ATM + 1.5bar boosted = 2.5bar or 21.7557psi) into the T4's 5 cylinder engine with 2461cc or 492.2cc per cylinder. Simply calculated as follows

          So, 2.5 x 492.2 = 1230.5mg/s of boosted air or an increase over the MAF calc of 23%,
          So, using the same AFR of 18:1, you can actually add 68.36mg/s, or 23% more fuel for the same air!
          Make of that what you will...

          The inverse is also applicable where insufficient fuel is not supplied to the boosted air.
          So, 1230.5 mg/s from the MAP calc above , from the MAF map you only added 55.5mg/s fuel the AFR is 22:1 and a 23% less efficient burn than planned.
          Or 50.8% against diesels best/efficient burn of 14.7:1 AFR, but that would be rollin coal until the van was up to temp!
          Manufacturers map the cars between 16.5 to 20.5 over the rev range in my experience.

          This is a guide - there are other factors to consider (air density, humidity, volumetric efficiency, air temp, boosted temps) but you get the drift.
          Have fun and think about it when you're playing with turbo chargers and fuelling!
          Last edited by Activ8; 7th November 2018, 03:52 PM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
            For the money it's worth what's provided and works just fine. I'll call in at SGS and have a chat about different fixings for the strut then change it when it needs replacing. Pulled two thinner struts (same length etc. from a scrapped Saxo boot that'll work aswell.
            Oh yea it is definatly a bargain.

            Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Activ8 View Post

              Have you tried turning the bracket on the slam panel 180 degrees and refitting , it would make the bonnet strut fit inline with the upper mount ?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
                Have you tried turning the bracket on the slam panel 180 degrees and refitting , it would make the bonnet strut fit inline with the upper mount ?
                Yep, but leaves only one fixing into the headlight plate might foul the old stay fixing too. New bracket needed. Or could it fit on the other side perhaps? Hmmm. [emoji848]

                Comment


                • Have you lost your insulation tape?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                    Have you lost your insulation tape?
                    I'm about to find out something am I not!

                    Comment


                    • Delivery today of a used high pressure turbo to test, the GT23V with 0.42AR and 3" V-band exhaust housing.
                      The turbo is really compact and will seat nicely on the existing adapted manifold.


                      Last edited by Activ8; 20th November 2018, 01:06 PM.

                      Comment


                      • My boost set-up is blowing hoses off at ATM+1.72bar (25psi) so I've bought a range of MIKALOR W2 Stainless Steel Clamps to upgrade and double up on some of the clamps I'm currently using.
                        The plumbing needs to be tested and running to at least 2.42bar (35psi) to hit the big hp targets.
                        I'm thinking about pulling the front end off completely, to then redesign it for a very large front mounted or multiple intercooler system.
                        Last edited by Activ8; 20th November 2018, 01:13 PM.

                        Comment


                        • I was holding 35 psi on the golf - plain tubing (no beads), single clamps. Only lost one pipe once on the shakedown run.

                          Charge cooler?...you could keep the interwarmer location then.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                            I was holding 35 psi on the golf - plain tubing (no beads), single clamps. Only lost one pipe once on the shakedown run.
                            Charge cooler?...you could keep the interwarmer location then.
                            Is water cooling needed at 35psi? 70 yeh but think its overkill on a van!
                            I think some of my current clamps are shite.
                            Last edited by Activ8; 20th November 2018, 02:51 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                              Delivery today of a used high pressure turbo to test, the GT23V with 0.42AR and 3" V-band exhaust housing.
                              The turbo is really compact and will seat nicely on the existing adapted manifold.

                              Hmmmmmm shiny [emoji41]


                              Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

                              Comment


                              • Changed the bonnet strut for a stainless steel JOM unit.


                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X