Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post

That was the VCDS Adaption TP, thats not the same as rewriting the QA map bud.
    We’ll have a chat about the hammer mod Rob after you’ve spent a year trying to sort your QA map

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post

We’ll have a chat about the hammer mod Rob after you’ve spent a year trying to sort your QA map
      Lol. Thanks Kev, but I've rewritten the QA map so many times the option to tickle the pump with a hammer maybe something I'll keep in reserve for the time being. It works for you and it costs nowt to do it.

What oversized injectors did you actually fit in the AJT, Kev?
      Last edited by Activ8; 20 July 2021, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Lol. Thanks Kev, but I've rewritten the QA map so many times the option to tickle the pump with a hammer maybe something I'll keep in reserve for the time being. It works for you and it costs nowt to do it.

What oversized injectors did you actually fit in the AJT, Kev?
        Not telling on the injectors

Come down to my workshop and I’ll take you out in my van , still on standard airbox and standard exhaust .

Bring your laptop and I’ll do the hammer mod for you , can’t say fairer than that

Comment

• Thats a very kind and generous offer - for you Kev, knowing how busy you are. I'd really enjoy the meet up. I know how well they can run as a standard van but few in the flock take any different performance routes.

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post

I want a K24 if anyone has one going. I absolutely don’t need to but I want to do a K16/24 hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
            I used to frequent the forums when I went through a fast Volvo stage, great period of my life..
            They used to love breaking them but seems they have calmed down now.

Comment

Bring your laptop and I’ll do the hammer mod for you , can’t say fairer than that
              You bastard, you spoil all my fun

I was really looking forward to watch him try to map out big injectors and the eventual climb down when hopefully the penny finally dropped...

....it would have been funnier than the "I can do a good paintjob with rattle cans, it's perfectly feasible" debarcle.

Comment

I think Reg and Kev both tried but with no luck so had to do the hammer mod.

A new T4 mate (aaahhhhh T4 friend) has had to do it a few times including the other day with me there to get one to run right following a lid seal replacement. Went back slightly too far in the upper limit and VCDS/QA couldn’t correct it as - HEY PRESTO - it was at its mechanical limit and therefore needed moving. You don’t even need to do it with a hammer as I imagine you can just move it by hand with the bolts released. Light taps with a small hammer though would be more precise so that how I imagine it got its name.
                The mapper couldn't map mine in on QA map, he thought he could assured me even, in the end he had to call in an expert, who turned up in a corsa with a hammer.

When you did your fwends, did you set adaption back to stock before hammering.

Rather then move by hand, I've found it's better to leave the bolts still tightish and use hammer taps for fractional adjustments whilst watching block 15, because the retightening process is enough to send the fuel setting out of optimum.

Biff - it's not rough, an AJT pump lid sits in a different position to an ACV, bosch probably dont hammer them but they will have been setup for the intended application, so the principle of mechanically getting the QA mechanism in the right position is a valid one regardless of method employed.

The electronics in a TDI pump can only refine the mechanical settings and are purely an ecomentalist sticking plaster, if the mechanical settings are far enough out, there's nothing the electronics can do to compensate. Think about setting the pump timing, you have to get it mechanically close before the ECU will even start to have an effect.

However, the electronics do something very interesting when asked to deal with big injectors.....
                Last edited by regcheeseman; 20 July 2021, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

The mapper couldn't map mine in on QA map, he thought he could assured me even, in the end he had to call in an expert, who turned up in a corsa with a hammer.

Rather then move by hand, I've found it's better to leave the bolts still tightish and use hammer taps for fractional adjustments whilst watching block 15, because the retightening process is enough to send the fuel setting out of optimum.

Biff - it's not rough, an AJT pump lid sits in a different position to an ACV, bosch probably dont hammer them but they will have been setup for the intended application, so the principle of mechanically getting the QA mechanism in the right position is a valid one regardless of method employed.

The electronics in a TDI pump can only refine the mechanical settings and are purely an ecomentalist sticking plaster, if the mechanical settings are far enough out, there's nothing the electronics can do to compensate. Think about setting the pump timing, you have to get it mechanically close before the ECU will even start to have an effect.

However, the electronics do something very interesting when asked to deal with big injectors.....
                  These t4’s fascinate me I’ll be honest, so simple yet so complex. I don’t think I will ever stop learning as this is obviously a lifelong commitment

Comment

The hammer mod is a delicate operation .
                    I’m unsure if mine has had it, it’s an acv engine masquerading as an ajt or at least the head is. Looking back on my service history it had a rebuilt head guess the rocker could of come with it.
                    I asked my mechanic… his words were if I had to take a hammer to your pump mate I would phone you first
                    Think I’m safe

Comment

The mapper couldn't map mine in on QA map, he thought he could assured me even, ....
                      I wonder why .....
                      Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                      .... in the end he had to call in an expert, who turned up in a corsa with a hammer.
                      Intriguing .... was the Corsa part of the solution perhaps, maybe you need all three elements? Hmmm

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                      Do tell .... All the numbers that you're looking at are derived from .... from ..... er possibly the maps?

Anyway have you got it back yet?

Comment

Yes, he tried all the laptop shite first. Just wouldn’t drop back down to idle or idle nicely, was a total bitch to start too. Then I suggested the hammer and 3 small taps and some little box on the magical flip up a facia thing said 4.2? Whatever that means? Computer electronic Tdi bullshit for sure.

#vanlife

Comment

Yes, he tried all the laptop shite first. Just wouldn’t drop back down to idle or idle nicely, was a total bitch to start too. Then I suggested the hammer and 3 small taps and some little box on the magical flip up a facia thing said 4.2? Whatever that means? Computer electronic Tdi bullshit for sure.

Only 4.2 ?

Comment

Do tell .... All the numbers that you're looking at are derived from .... from ..... er possibly the maps?
                            Nope, you'll find out, eventually, maybe.

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                            Anyway have you got it back yet?
                            Yes thanks. No power run, wastegate blowing open because I took the preload off too much, even with N75 doing nowt it wont go over 1Bar, mapped for 1.2, so I just need to sort the wastegate..and fix the boost gauge, apparently it is under reading so gawd knows what it was doing when the gauge was showing 25psi.

Comment

Only 4.2 ?
                              He said it should be between 4-5 or something. As you can imagine, I couldn’t have cared less. I was just there to wield the hammer.

#vanlife

Comment

He said it should be between 4-5 or something. As you can imagine, I couldn’t have cared less. I was just there to wield the hammer.

Always useful TP, by-the-way, where the chuff do all these numbers come from?
                                I'm assuming the hammer mod and Thoras' have magic powers ..... you install big nozzled injectors into an AJT mapped nay, defined AJT ECU, then "tap" (any magic words or piroetting required - Kev does this anyway) then it magically modifys all that it touches? Can the hammer do and wield other such wonders on other animate and inanimate objects?

Who'd have thought Just-T4s has become the Hogwarts for van tuning, .... does the "hammer" choose you when you enter the Motor Factors? Do the Lei flowers hanging on the rear view invisibly cloak the van from high speed touring. Does Kev have a second face at the back of his head and speaks in a strange tongue and dialect?

Comment

Working...
                                X