Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry black for me

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s

Comment

• Silver - mainly because that black paint is so bad I think you painted it.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
        Silver - mainly because that black paint is so bad I think you painted it.
        Haha a classic

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
          Silver - mainly because that black paint is so bad I think you painted it.
          Well if I had of spray gun painted them it would of been an improvement on the first two attempts.

Could try L469, two tone green?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post

Haha a classic
            FFS don't encourage him!

Comment

• Spotted these last week, whilst I was circling the Amazon Warehouse sale in the early hours.
              They are H4 "Motorcycle" LED's with an angel eye. Aye thats right - its got a fan cooled ring piece with LED's around the rim!
              Drawn in by the Chinese sales patter - strong penetration, 200% brighter, chips and 40% cooler I thought I'd snap two up that must of been returned with echoing thoughts of "I wonder if they'll fit... H4's hmmm".
              Advised as 30W, 6000K and a whopping 6400 lummmmmmmen these should be laser piercing bright in the typical Chinese sense of factual specs..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YV1J7..._QezKFbR5S6S0W
              Click image for larger version

Name:	AOLEAD H4 LED Angel Eye Bulb Marketing.png
Views:	390
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	312659
              Looks 40% cooler already - right?

Name:	AOLEAD H4 LED Angel Eye Bulb.png
Views:	389
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	312660
              Anyhows they arrived today.
              Eagerly, I scuttled back into the garage to rummage through the diminishing (eh?) tip run crap and pulled out one of the T4 cut out reflector lenses donored for my twin headlight project.
              Perfect,

The cool H4 LED was too long - only a few mm - but couldn't be clipped in plus the halogens bulb shield / directional cover (does this have a name?) fouled the ring piece.
              Unencumbered by any thought of damaging or ruining the lens I snipped out said piece from the rear to ensure this was an option and removed it from the rear pretending the headlight was still one heavy glazed unit. Great now it fits, looks good too with the black body and white halo ring on display. I'll throw some of that electrickery stuff at it later when it gets dark. As the reflector and glass lens are shaped, cast, rippled and designed to point the light correctly albeit dimmly I've sort of think this could be an interesting mod.

Update with electricpics to follow as I've been told to stop fannying around with van shite and go fix something!
              Last edited by Activ8; 22 October 2020, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• MOT fail 4.1.4.(c) Light source and lamp not compatible

Comment

• Originally posted by Skiddy View Post
                  MOT fail 4.1.4.(c) Light source and lamp not compatible
                  Cheers Skiddy. Can you explain?
                  Just lookng at the MOT inspection manual.
                  They're H4 with main & dip rebuilt into the original light fitting.

Comment

• Mmmmm fan cooled ring piece ...

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Skiddy View Post
                      MOT fail 4.1.4.(c) Light source and lamp not compatible
                      Obviously they will be a matching pair on the van!
                      How are you assessing the criteria in this instance?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-insp...#section-4-1-4

You must inspect all ‘mandatory’ headlamps fitted.

Mandatory headlamps consist of a matched pair of main beam headlamps and a matched pair of dipped-beam headlamps. These can be separate or a single pair of headlamps.

Lamps are matched if they:
                      • emit light of substantially the same colour and intensity
                      • are the same size and shape that they are symmetrical to each other

Vehicles first used before 1 January 1931 do not need headlamps.

Buses first used before 1 October 1969 only need one headlamp. If 2 are fitted, neither the main beam or dipped beams need to form matched pair.

The colour of the light headlamps emit must be one of the following:
                      • white
                      • predominantly white with blue tinge
                      • yellow

In a four-headlamp system the outer headlamps do not need to emit the same colour light as the inner pair.

The precise position of lamps is not part of the inspection, but you should check visually that they are at about the same height and the same distance from each side of the vehicle.

Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.

Tricycle and quadricycle headlamps must be:
                      • mounted centrally - if there’s only one lamp
                      • mounted symmetrically about the centre - if they’re adjacent to another lamp, such as there’s one dipped beam lamp and one main beam lamp
                      • mounted symmetrically - if there’s 2 lamps

The following must have a pair of main beam headlamps and a pair of dipped beam headlamps – can be separate or a single pair of headlamps:
                      • tricycles and quadricycles with a maximum width over 1,300mm
                      • motorcycle derived tricycles with a maximum width over 1,700mm

Tricycles and quadricycles classed as mopeds do not need main beam headlamps.

A ‘light source’ means any bulb, LED or other means of emitting light.

You must assess damaged or repaired lamps for security, colour, light output and durability.

Comment

• I see many led's fitted in place of normal halogen headlamp bulbs on cars, vans and bikes, I have never seen one meet the image criteria with the cut offs and kick up, the reflector isn't capable of collecting the light and pointing it in the right direction, it scatters everywhere and i'm sure you will have witnessed this with an led equipped halogen headlamp vehicle coming towards you.

edit to add these bulbs are very very bright and people wrongly assume they will give better visibility and they would if they were combined with the appropriate reflector.
                        Last edited by Skiddy; 22 October 2020, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• After roasted chicken, sort of a salad and home made seeded bread, the Mrs disappeared off to finish some work.

I grabbed a small 12v battery, the loose T4 lens and the cut down reflector with the LED fitted for a quick take on the light pattern and looks.
                          Setting up a 45cm high storage box 3m from the trifold doors and shutters.

I'll load them here and sort them once I'm on my laptop later.

Last edited by Activ8; 22 October 2020, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-1-1
                            European type - check on dipped beam

European type lamps have one of the following:
                            • an asymmetric dipped beam pattern with
                              • a horizontal cut-off on the right
                              • a wedge of light above the horizontal towards the left, known as the ‘kick up’
                            • lens may have European approval mark

For European type lamp to pass, you must make sure that:
                            • beam image ‘kick up’ is visible on the screen, unless it has been masked or it has a flat top beam pattern
                            • for headlamps with centres at 850mm or less from the ground, the beam image horizontal cut-off is between the 0.5% and 2.75% horizontal lines
                            • for headlamps with centres more than 850mm from the ground, the beam image horizontal cut-off is between the 1.25% and 2.75% horizontal lines
                            • white light does not show in the zone formed by the 0% vertical and 0.5% horizontal line

Name:	UK Gov MOT Headlamp Check.png
Views:	372
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	312705

Comment

• Just wanted to post something about the scavenged laptop li-ion batteries. The HP 620 laptop battery was in the bin having failed to charge some 2 years ago, a new battery was sourced and the laptop is still in use today. The purchase of the two lamps recommended by Reg prompted me to do some research about these batteries. To cut a long story short I carefully salvaged the 8 LG cells, separating them from the charging electronics and plastics. You have to be very careful as the cells are easy to short and unless discharged do contain a serious amount of energy even after seeing no use and abandoned for years. The sealed laptop battery held 8x 3.6/7v 2600mAh 18650 cells (18 stands for 18mm diameter and 650 for 65mm in length). I checked each cell and two were reading 0.25v, the rest all showed a good 3.0+ voltage. I put a couple of tiny magnets on the positive cap (a ridge identifies the + end) as the cells don't have a raised nipple and chucked them in the lamp to charge and so far 4 cells have charged to 4.12v each. Chuffed.

LG Cell Info found online.

Name:	LG LGDA2E18650 Batttery Info.png
Views:	352
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	312712
                              Last edited by Activ8; 23 October 2020, 12:59 AM.

Comment

• Invasion of the bodysnatchers, I reckon Robs has been taken over by Turk.

Comment

Working...
                                X