Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prefer the LWB proportions, wanted a LWB, never happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
      Prefer the LWB proportions, wanted a LWB, never happened.
      Never say never

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
        I’m not a fan of the Lwb side profile , never have been , but that extra space makes a diffrence for a camper
        Yeh, as a camper it makes perfect sense Kev despite its profile.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
          Prefer the LWB proportions, wanted a LWB, never happened.
          Couldn't find a decent one?
          I've owned a few, panel vans and Caravelles but they just don't do it for me.

Comment

• I dont think they look as good as a swb normally but when they are lowered, like Sausage low, they come into their own.
            Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
              I dont think they look as good as a swb normally but when they are lowered, like Sausage low, they come into their own.
              Low or dumped long nose lwb for styling but short nose lwb for the swamper off road looks. SWB has it all covered!

Mate had a long nose swamper pop top and it just didnt sit right. We all have our views and styles, so its the diversity thats the winner in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                Couldn't find a decent one?
                I've owned a few, panel vans and Caravelles but they just don't do it for me.

Nope, looked for 12 months plus, looked at a lot of crap. Rust, condition, mileage, engine were key factors the SWB/LWB was less of an issue. They both look great.

Comment

• Before I left for hillier climates, I got a day to prep some kit and paint the bonnet (again) but this time with all the right spray gear for 2K, bonnet prepped I set the stall out and dragged the SIP compressor round the back and proceeded to suit & mask up. I'd already stripped and cleaned the Devilbiss FLG but did a test run with thinners on card and had a little dry practice with gun, micro pressure controller and filter. With the tank at 8 bar the dry run with 10m 8mm hose , settings looked good for first pass. Setting the pressure to 2 bar was easy and tweaked the feed to the desired fan size. Air temp was rising to the forecasted 21°C. I planned to spray outside, a couple of cold spells seem to of killed of a few billion midges and insects, and only the faintest of wind & breeze could be detected.

Using scales I weighed the upol black gloss base coat and the appropriate hardener per the spec sheet through a 260micron filter into a lidded paint tub. Stirred for two minutes. Resealed for a minute while I prepped myself with tea.... did a quick pass over the cardboard but the fan had reduced to 10cm rather than the 15cm, hmmm, working time on the paint was 4-6 hours, pressure was 2 bar so started to paint. Did four neat passes but the gun starts to spit, pressure drops off leading to a couple huge dribbles, so I back off back to the cardboard to reset the gun but no matter what I tried the fan just wouldn't play ball and stay consistent despite the pressure gauge holding the 2 bar.... I reduced the fan size yet further but gained some consistency and managed the same 4 passes with yet more splutters. So I stopped.

Emptied the balance of paint back into the paint pot filled the gun with thinners and began cleaning but checking all the settings. Fan perfect ;back to 15cm pressure holding 2 bar, fan even, compressor holding 8bar .

Just couldn't identify whats wrong. Tried again but the same scenario repeated leaving a right mess on the bonnet! Im not bothered about reprepping it all but even after a few weeks thinking about it Im still unsure whats actually gone wrong.

Help?

Last edited by Activ8; 8 September 2020, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• Water in the air line?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s

Comment

• Got a vapour / water trap fitted on the gun Greeny. Had no leaks on the gun , connections or hose at full stretch plus I could get around the working area without stretching the air line

My thoughts are ;
                      Is an 8mm ID bore big enough for the FLG gun delivery?
                      Could the micro gauge be misreading the true pressure?
                      I used UPOLs fast hardener for 5°-25°C temps.
                      Could the air temps be affecting the paint delivery?
                      Old paint - couldn't find a date on either tin ,bought together from eBay. Although it was from a paint disty.

I know Im new to this but the first 4 passes were sweet with a lovely cover of paint and Id taken the time to set the gun and work area up (albeit outside).

Comment

• Have you drained the compressor tank recently? Even with local traps I have seen water pass to the muzzle

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s

Comment

• Nope but worth a try. Cheers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                            Got a vapour / water trap fitted on the gun Greeny. Had no leaks on the gun , connections or hose at full stretch plus I could get around the working area without stretching the air line

My thoughts are ;
                            Is an 8mm ID bore big enough for the FLG gun delivery?
                            Could the micro gauge be misreading the true pressure?
                            I used UPOLs fast hardener for 5°-25°C temps.
                            Could the air temps be affecting the paint delivery?
                            Old paint - couldn't find a date on either tin ,bought together from eBay. Although it was from a paint disty.

I know Im new to this but the first 4 passes were sweet with a lovely cover of paint and Id taken the time to set the gun and work area up (albeit outside).

The cup vent is blocked.

8mm is plenty - I run a 6mm whip hose to my guns

Bin the micro gauge, (and the scales and the filters) - get some cups instead, it's not that exact a science

Never used fast hardener or rocket, because it's known to be a pain to work with, you need fast thinners to flash off quick.

Air temps don't affect delivery, wont be old paint either.

Is the flow control wound fully open on the gun? Leave it there and never touch it.

Set the trigger on the empty gun - back the screw out, pull trigger in fully, wind in screw untill it just touches on back of needle and starts to push trigger forward.

Comment

• Hmmmm, yeh cup vent would make sense and some set-up issues possibly. I need to reread the Devilbiss setup guide.

I'll try the other suggestions.

I don't recall adding thinners in the base /hardener mix - only to assist in the setup and cleaning.

Comment

• The following day - the bonnet having been left to dry overnight in the open - I was greeted by the what looked like a dimpled Hammerited bonnet (lovely water beading though).

Comment

Working...
                                X