Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
    Longer pot life if you're not using 2 pack.
    Oh....I thought you were talking about proper spray painting.

Is pot life even an issue with 1K?

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Oh....I thought you were talking about proper spray painting.

Is pot life even an issue with 1K?
      Yeah true, just chuck some more thinner in haha

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Comment

• Called in to Sprayguns Direct in Derby. Really helpful bunch and it was great to actually chat to the experts. I didnt buy anything ..... they price beat so I thought better to put that to the test!

An hour later I got a call from DeVilbiss a nice chap Ian who talked me through my queries and product questions. Theres a huge leaning towards H&S and this fella couldn't stress the dangers enough!

He suggested two guns for a single gun DIY'er but admitted its best to separate your primer gun from the colour & clear in an ideal World. The DeVilbiss GPI with a 1.4, 1.6 & 1.8 nozzles/caps as a single "can do all" gun. Better than the FLG simply because theres better spares & product support. He called it the "gun for life". The 1.6 nozzle was for Epoxy Mastic. Stay away from the SLG models but consider the FLG 1.3 , 1.4 & 1.8 if the budget was really tight but better going for the best gun and add the nozzles when funds allowed if the full package was a stretch.

He suggested looking at a competitors gun for comparison when Im next in the shop, an ANI F160? Thats new to me.

I'm being advised to buy a larger 17cfm compressor to feed a DeVilbiss Prov650 respirator headset & the gun too, fed with an 8mm ID bored hose , so I need to look into that too.

DeVilbiss GPI Brochure
        DeVilbiss Tech Specs
        DeVilbiss FLG-5 Brochure
        DeVilbiss FLG-5 Tech Specs

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s
        Last edited by Activ8; 23 July 2020, 12:13 AM.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm running the gun on 29psi and my air fed resp off the 13.5cfm compressor. And it does struggle if I spray continuously for a minute or so - i just get the audible whistle warning on the resp telling me my air flow isn't high enough.

I'd have gone slightly higher on my compressor cfm in hindsight, but I'm just about getting away with it.

I run everything through my 1.4 nozzle on my FLG. Seems to work fine.

Bucket of thinners afterwards and the gun is clean and shiny again. Thinners back in to a "dirty" empty tin, and the solids sink to the bottom allowing me to get the dirty-but-cleaner thinners back to reuse as gun wash.

Yeah you only have to read the HSE guidance and a few other articles on how bad 2k paint and isocyanates are. Some people take the risk, but I'm young and I'd like to be able to breath for a few more years yet!!! Haha

Comment

• Took the Bahco HVLP spray gun back to the local disty this morning, any way to cut a long story short I brought it back home having got a substantial refund on the £106 I paid plus a full set of the 5 spare nozzles thrown in for good measure. I'll use this for everything but my base and clear coats. I needed to return the DeVilbiss FLG5 as it was supplied with the 1.8mm despite being boxed 1.4 so it wasn't until I stripped it did I notice. The eBay Seller wouldn't send the correct 1.4mm nozzle out unless I paid a further £35 and postage, I'm well within my 14 days Returns window, so told them to do one and went through eBay for a free returns.

Sprayguns Direct in Derby have been great for info and have a price matching/beating service and were advertising the FLG5-xx at £123 (I paid £106) so I sent out an email yesterday but had to call today to chase it up. The young lady on the phone was being particularly unhelpful, asked me to wait for the email reply, I read out the terms of their Offer To Beat which included the option to call, email or use the contact form. She was having none of it. So they didn't get the order. Bought it from Morreli.co.uk for £104.83 including delivery with a few extras I thought would be useful, a stand/filler, a mini gauge, a spare gravity bottle kit I'll use for clear coats and some other peripherals to compliment the spray kit. So the hardware is coming together.

I decided not to upgrade the compressor or go for the airline fed spray mask, I'm simply not going to get the use out of it so I'm looking for a decent all-in-one mask and may be a spray suit if I can find one that fits me.
            What I have done is cleared a 3m x 5m area at the rear of the bottom shed and perimeter where I intend to build a simple working spray area/booth so parts can worked on and be left to cure during the final stages.

Comment

• Picked up a very early B5254T 20V 5 cylinder head for £60 to try on the D5252T 5 cylinder block. It looks about the right size too!

Comment

• You going all petrol then Rob?

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                  You going all petrol then Rob?
                  I'd like a 20 valve diesel on a budget Si!

Comment

• Isn't a B Volvo engine number petrol, wouldn't it need lots for machining for swirl chambers and glow plugs and injectors?

Comment

• Yes the B is for Benzin or Petrol Si. I could use the spark plug orrifices for the injectors as its only the injector nozzle tip that needs to be in the cylinder plus an injector clamping system and I think with a fuel preheater I could bin the glowplugs altogether? Might have to machine the injector bodies with a thread or spacer/collet..... I want to reduce the compression ratio to about 17 as this is the optimum for turbo diesels.

Anyway, thats the idea with buying the head - to just have a play.

A petrol "stroker" might be far easier and I know this has been done.

On another project update my German motor builder believes he has a spec to hit the eturbo rpm targets which now requires its own coolant system. Hes just running some tests over the weekend. Its designed to spin up for 10 seconds between a specified rev range. Fitted with a 5mm balanced shaft and bearings it should chuck a 68mm compressor wheel round (thats a Skyline RB35 wheel) to 106k within half a second from 1500-3000rpm.

On another project the swb T4 roof is mine and Im cutting it off next week.

Comment

• For anyone thats interested, the Director, Chris from Sprayguns Direct came back to me this morning but 4 days later than advertised. Best price offered for the Devilbiss FLG5-14 was £102.

Comment

• Picked up a Teng Tool 1/2" 20pc impact driver set from the Factors for £20. The plastic case hinges were damaged.

Comment

• Nice! I could do with something like that.

Also very good price on the FLG5.

And very impressive sounding from the motor manuf. Water cooled?

If you pull this off and is relatively easy to fit you could make a mint selling kits to 1x owners :wink:

Comment

• My second FLG5 arrived earlier . The product seal was unbroken this time and all good. Got to go back to Morelli though as the spare gravity feed bottle "kit" was missing all the kit - theyd just sent the spare part.

Its so much lighter (1/3 at least) than the Bahco gun. I think you're supposed to thoroughly clean it down as its a cast gun so theres polish all in the grip text. Just need my mask but not finding anything better than 95% protection without going for the air fed type.

Couldnt help treat myself to this new Bahco 46pc 1/4" set for £30 off of ebay on Saturday.

Comment

• Nice. Yeah thorough cleaning before first use to get all the protective oils etc out of the gun.

If you're in a rush just put a few ml of thinners in just before you paint and blast it through haha.

I did hours and hours of research on masks and filters when I wasn't going to go for the air fed route.

I found an old (~2010's) document from 3M that listed a filter as suitable for isocyanates. Where all of their recent documentation doesn't list the filter as suitable, because their guidance changed to "no filters are suitable for isocyanates". (only because people don't change them frequently enough)

So I took that to mean "the filter is suitable for isocyanates - but 3M won't recommend it as suitable because they don't trust you to change it regularly enough...."

Some sources mentioned the filters needing changing after 20 or so minutes of continuous spraying, saying that most users are unlikely to do this.

I'm using the face mask and filters for mixing my paints, using thinners and brush painting using isocyanates, but not spraying.

If you want, I'll PM you the filters I'm using*

*please read t's & c's properly regarding absolution of all liability regarding advice. Do not pass go, do not collect £200.

Comment

Working...
                                X