• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20180125_081622_resized.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	262794

Serious offer now, none of my usual frivolity. If you want a week in the sun, fix up a few vw's..... a bit of mapping maybe...let me know. I will provide accomadation and we will pay a fair fee.
    We have my t4, a t5, an a6, and a golf gti all want tweaking.
    Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20180125_082846_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	262795

Good mechanics are like unicorn shit round here.

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
        I will try that first. It only goes into limp mode on the occasion you go up a hill. You can feel it happen, a little bump and bingo....No power.
        Thanks Arfur. Based on van running OK until a hill, how can the wastegate be seized? From the moment you turn the key your turbo is being ECU managed. The tolerance for over boosting is 100mbar (tiny) , so almost as soon as you drive off it would move into limp mode after 3 errors, so about 3 seconds! Your fault reads similar to Reg's ie timing. Can you code read your van or get it read? Next check the timing.

Sent by Solar Ray to Just T4s
        Last edited by Activ8; 25 January 2018, 10:53 AM.

Comment

• So no vnt?
          How about that holiday?

Comment

• The standard K14 ACV turbo is not a VNT (Variable Nozzle Turbo) it has a wastegate (a lever operated valve).

Comment

• Buy one of the data cables I had made up, down load the drivers and VCDS Lite and we can work through and identify the problems and how to rectify them.

I would be very happy to come over on a working holiday bud, but I have commitments here. Not to rule it out, but let's start by educating you, build your confidence and then get a plan together on how to fix the fault (s).

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                Buy one of the data cables I had made up, down load the drivers and VCDS Lite and we can work through and identify the problems and how to rectify them.

I would be very happy to come over on a working holiday bud, but I have commitments here. Not to rule it out, but let's start by educating you, build your confidence and then get a plan together on how to fix the fault (s).

I have the confidence to strip and clean the turbo (I used to build my own motorbikes ) but with the van still working i can't spare him for more than half a day. He retires in three months so I will do it then.
                I am more annoyed that yet another mechanic has lied. Charged me to diagnose a fault and claims it is a part that I clearly dont have.
                I could have had the belt changed and the bearing at another place for half the price. You live and learn.
                The offer still stands when you have a free week. Try living la vida Arfur
                I also have a code reader, how good it is I don't know but it has vagcom.
                And Activ, thanks again man.....you are as selfless a person i have ever met.

Comment

I have the confidence to strip and clean the turbo (I used to build my own motorbikes ) but with the van still working i can't spare him for more than half a day. He retires in three months so I will do it then.
                  Thats a great plan. So lets poke around and find the real cause.
                  Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                  I am more annoyed that yet another mechanic has lied. Charged me to diagnose a fault and claims it is a part that I clearly dont have.
                  Understood but lets NOT get ahead of ourselves, our burn your bridges! Lifes too short bud....
                  I could have had the belt changed and the bearing at another place for half the price. You live and learn.
                  Which belt / belts did he change? I must of missed that.
                  I also have a code reader, how good it is I don't know but it has vagcom.
                  VagCom is a registered PC software interface and decoder.
                  Try your code reader (hand-held box?) on your van, unless its got the correct interpreter chip it will not identify the faults or codes.
                  VW during that era, used some very odd (read "unique" protocols).

The offer still stands when you have a free week. Try living la vida Arfur
                  And Activ, thanks again man.....you are as selfless a person i have ever met.
                  Cool bud, just keep your bus thread rolling, I'm really enjoying it.

Comment

• I wish people in the trade wouldn't tell porkies....... if I get a job I cant coupe with I let the client know and point them to someone who will. Or if i'm not sure I say so and let them know it'll cost them an hours labour to see that way I don't spend hours I cant charge out the client doesn't feel like they have been ripped off or messed about.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                      I wish people in the trade wouldn't tell porkies....... if I get a job I cant coupe with I let the client know and point them to someone who will. Or if i'm not sure I say so and let them know it'll cost them an hours labour to see that way I don't spend hours I cant charge out the client doesn't feel like they have been ripped off or messed about.
                      Wish the place I took mine to for belts, water pump and service had been honest, took 2 weeks in all and a 1k bill! They ended up sending the bus away to get timing done because they cocked it up. Mrs T reckons I should go back there though for the mot as they’d be too scared to fail it and have to work on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                      Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Comment

• Arfurs story is unfortunately the norm & its almost EXACTLY the same story as my own.... years ago..., replacing turbo, sensors almost everything. Ended up dropping the mechanic , his 2 sons and their driver as I refused to pay for their guessing. We made up and are good mates now.

Sent by Rectum Pulse Modulator

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                          I wish people in the trade wouldn't tell porkies....... if I get a job I cant coupe with I let the client know and point them to someone who will. Or if i'm not sure I say so and let them know it'll cost them an hours labour to see that way I don't spend hours I cant charge out the client doesn't feel like they have been ripped off or messed about.
                          Its simply too tough to say "I don't know but..." , its seen as a character / business weakness or flaw.
                          But its the nature we're now modelled to react to - we take things to get fixed by people who know how to fix things, without knowing anything about things.
                          Plug and Play has had its day! In my world at least.

Comment

• He changed the auxilary belt, after saying it was ok. I still have the old one....It looks fine. Another 60 euros plus labour.
                            The box we have for code reading is a little hand held jobber. I haven't used it but my Boss has and says it works....If a fashion.

Comment

He changed the auxilary belt, after saying it was ok. I still have the old one....It looks fine. Another 60 euros plus labour.
                              Oh dear Arfur,.... you must be reading this and previous postings and now thinking differently about your new mechanic me thinks....?
                              The box we have for code reading is a little hand held jobber. I haven't used it but my Boss has and says it works....If a fashion.
                              T5's are a later protocol and true OBD2 so making a reader that will work is a lot easier.
                              Try it on your van and lets see.
                              Don't worry we'll get it sorted mate.

Comment

• Arfur,
                                PM me your address I'm going to send you a cable FOC so we can get this sorted.
                                Have you got a laptop with USB ports?

Comment

Working...
                                X