No announcement yet.

Dual purpose van.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking good Arfur, like how your unit looks now you've painted it!! The next bit if spare time you get jump back on it!!! Doing well there bud! [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Will be doing the legs and worktops asap. Need to earn some money first. Had car insurance and itv (And the repair bill) and the van is in again for itv next Saturday. Plus I've just spent 290 on the van repairs. Plus Mrs FA is her usual high maintenance self.
      I'm broke.
      Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Your wallet may be broke for now but your determination isn't mate! Know the feeling when you feel like your pissing in the wind!
        You doing a great job and need/want to see you spurring on!!
        Chin up mate, once these nasty € things are out the way you can look forward again!!! Come on!!! [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Comment

• To be fair, despite the money side of things, I'm loving my van again at the minute. I'll love him more still if he clears inspection without costing me more.
          Come on Adolfo.....you can do it boy.

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
            To be fair, despite the money side of things, I'm loving my van again at the minute. I'll love him more still if he clears inspection without costing me more.
            Come on Adolfo.....you can do it boy.
            The odds to pass the itv are loaded in your favour Arfur.... tons of TLC will pay off,.... who takes it in / through? The new mechanic or you?
            Keep that creative mind of yours focussed on the stages ahead....

Comment

• It will be me a week on Saturday. 3rd I think. New mechanic is good. My van no longer squeaks. He says my turbo needs a rebuild and that is putting it in limp mode.

Comment

• Will a rebuild be expensive Arfur? Or would it be worth putting a new one in and have some sort of warranty???

Comment

It will be me a week on Saturday. 3rd I think.
                  Good luck with that mate.

Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                  New mechanic is good. My van no longer squeaks.
                  He says my turbo needs a rebuild and that is putting it in limp mode.
                  Mate, get him to show you. I would be suspicious.....
                  Is it burning oil or making any high pitched squeals on acceleration?
                  Physically the turbo itself is UNLIKELY to be throwing the van into limp mode.
                  Get him to code read the limp mode and faults generated and to show you.
                  We'll take it from there - if you want to?

Comment

• The diaphram solenoid is locked up so the ecm (?) can't activate the vnt. This is causing over boost. Wants to strip it, clean it and put a new cassette in. Get the vnt working. There is no loss of pressure on the gauge when he tests the diaphram so suspects the vnt as the arm is totally locked up.
                    He doesn't think it's a big issue, just what needs to be done when I can spare the van for a little while.
                    I don't understand the above too much (I know you do though )but is exactly what he says.
                    It does smoke blue first thing in the morning but I put this down to valve stems as it's done 270k kms.
                    Your input is very, very welcome. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Roccodog View Post
                      Will a rebuild be expensive Arfur? Or would it be worth putting a new one in and have some sort of warranty???

Well, I don't know. But we have an activ8 and a reg for these sorts of things.

Comment

• You can get a turbo rebuild kit , bearings seals and so on for around thirty quid on the dreaded fleabay.

Comment

The diaphram solenoid is locked up so the ecm (?) can't activate the vnt. This is causing over boost. Wants to strip it, clean it and put a new cassette in. Get the vnt working. There is no loss of pressure on the gauge when he tests the diaphram so suspects the vnt as the arm is totally locked up.
                          He doesn't think it's a big issue, just what needs to be done when I can spare the van for a little while.
                          I don't understand the above too much (I know you do though )but is exactly what he says.
                          It does smoke blue first thing in the morning but I put this down to valve stems as it's done 270k kms.
                          Your input is very, very welcome. Thanks
                          Cheers mate. Try checking this yourself bud. Video it if necessary before you book it back in with him. Most likely is that someone has altered the pre-load .
                          Assuming your van has the standard ACV K14 turbo then its NOT a VNT, its a waste-gated turbo. (A small door in the housing used to release exhaust gas/pressure).
                          So, if the rod from the pressure controlled actuator is unable to move inorder to open the waste-gate because its seized then you just need to free it off.
                          Theres two nuts sometimes with a springlock either side of the arm. Remove the lock then undo the nuts and remove the pre-load on the wastegate arm.
                          Try the wastegate arm now the tension has been removed. You should be able to physically move the wastegate lever by hand, if the pre-load is set correctly.
                          If the arm is solid, remove the actuator by unbolting it from the compressor housing. WD40 the lever, let it soak then if necessary use a little force to open it!
                          Once freed up, rebuild it back up to reset the pre-load.
                          Pre-load on your K14(?) is 3mm when the wastegate is closed, in laymans terms thats tightening the actuator rod nut on the lever 3 full turns approx.

The cassette (CHRA) MAY need changing but I would simply free off the wastegate first IF indeed that is the cause.
                          Your turbo has been having a very easy life mate if its been in limp mode, so the cartridge is more than likely good!

The above is a start. Get this far then go for a drive, it should drive better.

Comment

• I will try that first. It only goes into limp mode on the occasion you go up a hill. You can feel it happen, a little bump and bingo....No power.

Comment

• Well here are the best pictures i could take. You tell me. Looks like a wastegate actuator to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180125_081049_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	262792
                              Last edited by arfur fox-acre; 25 January 2018, 08:33 AM.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20180125_081149_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	262793

So no vnt then?

Comment

Working...
                                X