Custard cream build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chally69 View Post
    It’s not bad, a couple of imperfections if you look closely. I put the top coat on this evening which hasn’t gone as well, I will flat it done with some 2500 tomorrow before I start the clear coat. It certainly looks better than what was there before.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    Flatting with 2500 on the base coat? Why are you doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
      There are a few imperfections as a result in painting with rattle cans,

Comment

There are a few imperfections as a result in painting with rattle cans,

800 is fine for primer. Be there for ever with higher.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
          800 is fine for primer. Be there for ever with higher.

It's base though - I was always taught that you don't flat the base.

2500 is bloody fine, way too fine - that would be the last stage of colour/wet sanding the clear coat to take out orange peel.

Comment

2500 is bloody fine, way too fine - that would be the last stage of colour/wet sanding the clear coat to take out orange peel.
            If it's high build and your flatting imperfections 800 will be brill 2500 will take weeks.
            It's like anything better prep better finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
              If it's high build and your flatting imperfections 800 will be brill 2500 will take weeks.
              It's like anything better prep better finish.

It's not high build - you are confusing base (colour) coat with primer.

Sure, flat primer coats as required (800 is perfect) but never touch the base colour coat - or at least that is what I was told? Unless of course it's a mess, in which case re-do it.

Comment

It's not high build - you are confusing base (colour) coat with primer.

Sure, flat primer coats as required (800 is perfect) but never touch the base colour coat - or at least that is what I was told? Unless of course it's a mess, in which case re-do it.
                Sorry, I missed the flatting a base coat post I was still working with primers.

Comment

Like I previously said I’m not a professional. I’m a electrician by trade, a million miles away from doing auto paint jobs. I’m just doing what I think needs to be done and learning alone the way. Any advice from people with more expertise than me is more than welcome. [emoji1303]

Comment

I think you’ve done a great job considering how I’ve done mine, yours looks like showroom condition

Comment

Originally posted by t4moneypit View Post
                      I think you’ve done a great job considering how I’ve done mine, yours looks like showroom condition

It’s far from perfect mate but thank you for your comment.

Comment

I like the custard colour in matt.
                        Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Custard cream build.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Comment

Like I previously said I’m not a professional. I’m a electrician by trade, a million miles away from doing auto paint jobs. I’m just doing what I think needs to be done and learning alone the way. Any advice from people with more expertise than me is more than welcome. [emoji1303]
                            In that case - don't flat the base.

And get a compressor and a cheap HVLP gun. Rattle cans are useless unless you are painting very small areas - in which case you may be ok with those bits you are doing.

Comment

Your doing a great job chalky. Nothing like having a go and finding out for yourself.

I'm no expert and everything to do with spraying I have learnt myself.

If your primer is high build, then an 800 grit will be just fine. I usually let the primer set, then I put my base coat on. There's no need to flat the base coat. Some will say your best to let the base coat dry as well, but I've learnt that I can go straight on top of the base, with the lacquer,...but let the base go off a bit first,...so it's still tacky.

If the clear/lacquer has any orange peel (and it's difficult to get it right in this heat), then don't panic. Just let it dry, then sand it with some 1500-1800 grit. Then rub down with some compound, and then a good polish.

I've got a compressor so I'm lucky. But for small jobs, then rattle cans can be good.

Good luck bud. Keep going at it.

Frenchy.

Comment

Originally posted by frenchdna View Post
                                Your doing a great job chalky. Nothing like having a go and finding out for yourself.

I'm no expert and everything to do with spraying I have learnt myself.

If your primer is high build, then an 800 grit will be just fine. I usually let the primer set, then I put my base coat on. There's no need to flat the base coat. Some will say your best to let the base coat dry as well, but I've learnt that I can go straight on top of the base, with the lacquer,...but let the base go off a bit first,...so it's still tacky.

If the clear/lacquer has any orange peel (and it's difficult to get it right in this heat), then don't panic. Just let it dry, then sand it with some 1500-1800 grit. Then rub down with some compound, and then a good polish.

I've got a compressor so I'm lucky. But for small jobs, then rattle cans can be good.

Good luck bud. Keep going at it.

Frenchy.
                                Cheers for the info mate, one thing I am concerned about is where I have masked off. I have created a soft line by rolling the masking tape but am I likely to have any sort of step line, if so what’s best to get rid of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X