Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saving a T4 from being scrapped, what could go wrong...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving a T4 from being scrapped, what could go wrong...

Hello

So yes I went to have a look at a very cheap '96 175k mile 1.9td T4 today. It failed its MOT last month on rust, and a few little bits; brake pipes, drop links,a damper, bulbs etc. What bothers me more to be honest is a very noisy PAS pump and the clouds of white smoke out the exhaust. I'm not too daunted by it as I've rebuilt bigger heaps but I don't know T4s or diesels very well so I'd be in at the deep end!

It's been a builders van for a few years and is pretty rough all round but I'm not looking for something to polish, just a solid workhorse. I haven't said I'll definitely have it yet but have first refusal, I'm not keen on buying (another) money pit and I'd have to get rid my Mk3 TDi to make room for it so I'm kinda 50/50 on it at the minute. Any words of encouragement are welcome!

Originally posted by Laz View Post
    Hello

So yes I went to have a look at a very cheap '96 175k mile 1.9td T4 today. It failed its MOT last month on rust, and a few little bits; brake pipes, drop links,a damper, bulbs etc. What bothers me more to be honest is a very noisy PAS pump and the clouds of white smoke out the exhaust. I'm not too daunted by it as I've rebuilt bigger heaps but I don't know T4s or diesels very well so I'd be in at the deep end!

It's been a builders van for a few years and is pretty rough all round but I'm not looking for something to polish, just a solid workhorse. I haven't said I'll definitely have it yet but have first refusal, I'm not keen on buying (another) money pit and I'd have to get rid my Mk3 TDi to make room for it so I'm kinda 50/50 on it at the minute. Any words of encouragement are welcome!
    Whether it's worth it or not depends on money.
    Oh and welcome!!!
    Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

It's £250 but I reckon a lower offer would get it.

Comment

It's £250 but I reckon a lower offer would get it.
        Get it bought cheap as chips. And welcome

Come rain or shine im out in mine!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Just T4s

Comment

Surely at that price it’s a no brainier, if don’t want it ebay no reserve and probably easily double your money

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Save another T4 [emoji1303] if you can do a lot of the work yourself which it sounds like you can I would jump at it.

Comment

If you don’t want it at £250 reckon someone on here will have it, maybe even me.
              where is it located?

Comment

Yea I have to agree at £250 it's cheap!! Even if it's stuffed you can turn it into a trailer!!!

Comment

Thanks! I thought it was worth having. Yes I'll do the work myself, maybe even the welding (I'm not very good).

It's in Devon and yes I'll pass the owners details on if I don't get it myself.

I'm loathe to get rid of my Golf which I'd have to to get the van but needs must, anyway I have a Corrado as well so probably enough VWs to keep me busy!

Comment

Thanks! I thought it was worth having. Yes I'll do the work myself, maybe even the welding (I'm not very good).

I'm loathe to get rid of my Golf which I'd have to to get the van but needs must, anyway I have a Corrado as well so probably enough VWs to keep me busy!
                    Careful there is another on here that will get excited at that name!!!

Comment

I’m no mechanic and can’t do the work myself however at that price I would have it as could sell on for more than that whole or in parts

Comment

If there is as much rust as you say there is you will be a pro at welding by the time you’ve finished.

Comment

I don't think it's too bad actually. The fail sheet looks terrifying at a glance but there appears to be just a few small holes rather than whole rotten sections,
                          the garage who failed it were kind enough to mark the rusty bits with a wax pencil!

Comment

I've seen worse fail sheets mate

Sell my T4 !!! I'd rather stick wasps up my butt.

Comment

AHem - where exactly in Devon.

Just curious.....

Comment

Working...
                              X