MO TeaTime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MO TeaTime

Alright guys and gals, I've booked the last week of August off work so I can get the van MOT ready. I just want to use this page as a list of things I want to do to get it passed. Any tips, recommendations, comments etc appreciated.

In priority order.

1. Drop the gearbox, check seals, replace input shaft seal at least, replace clutch.

Any critical bits I need to buy in advance for this? I've got an "engine hoist" (an old style set of pulleys I can fix to the mantle above my garage door) to support the box/engine, and 3 Jack's.

I'll buy the input shaft seal, 225mm SMF fly wheel, clutch plate. Anything else worth doing while I'm here? I think I can do the 5th gear mod with the box in place at a later less urgent time?

Will have to bleed the master clutch cylinder? Have an easy bleed so I assume that's the same or similar to bleeding the brakes?

2. Sorting this problem area. (rear offside trailing arm mount and bush?)

I've got some 5mm box section which is about the same internal dimension, I can cut one side off and weld it to that point. I assume this might be a failure depending on the garage?

Other side looks fine. But might replace the bush anyway. Is this an easy job?

3. Replace the oil cooler (I think this is where my oil leak is from)

I think I've read that a leak is an mot failure?

Any other points in that area that could be an oil leak? Can't really tell where it's coming from.

4. Fit new rear springs.... Easy.

5. Weld the rear bumper area - not structural but still looks bad.

6. (If I've got time) fit my new reconditioned fuel pump, intercooler, turbo pressure gauge, egt sensor and gauge.

7. Try and fix my bloody rev counter problem (I assume this isn't an mot failure? Haha)

Any other problem areas I should focus on before mot time? Brakes, fluid, shocks (soon to be springs) will all be brand new.

In the past I've always just taken my vehicle to the mot place and hoped. This time I want to be on top of it and hopefully get through first time.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Hold the motor up with the hoist and wiggle the box out on a trolly jack. Did our Rachels on my own and hadn't done one before. Take the offside driveshaft extension off fisrt folk have got the box out without but bugger that.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
      Hold the motor up with the hoist and wiggle the box out on a trolly jack. Did our Rachels on my own and hadn't done one before. Take the offside driveshaft extension off fisrt folk have got the box out without but bugger that.
      Cheers Si!

How about..... Holding the motor up with the jack and lowering the box onto a bit of thick wood with large casters on?

Don't have a trolley jack, and it will be on gravel anyhow. Large casters on a low trolley should get it out for me?

Comment

Yes I did it with a trolley jack to lower the box and another to keep the motor up. It would be a bit high to drop on a bit of wood with casters on. Two blokes should be able to lower and lift in I expect. I came up with this way when I did a clutch on one of those Foxhole Moviana things. The floor of my shed is a bit thin so even thou the 2 poster is rated at 3 ton I do big stuff on the floor. Have to keep thinking up one man operations for things bigger outfits would put 2 blokes on. Molly used to help with lifting but she has an aneurism by her spleen so I wont let her near any lifting even once its all fixed. She loves pottering with motors.

Comment

I did mine bushes. Out is easy. In is a nightmare unless you by the split version

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
            Yes I did it with a trolley jack to lower the box and another to keep the motor up. It would be a bit high to drop on a bit of wood with casters on. Two blokes should be able to lower and lift in I expect. I came up with this way when I did a clutch on one of those Foxhole Moviana things. The floor of my shed is a bit thin so even thou the 2 poster is rated at 3 ton I do big stuff on the floor. Have to keep thinking up one man operations for things bigger outfits would put 2 blokes on. Molly used to help with lifting but she has an aneurism by her spleen so I wont let her near any lifting even once its all fixed. She loves pottering with motors.
            Ah blimey, yeah she don't want to be doing any lifting with that! Hope it gets sorted for her.

Cheers. I'll have a practice in front of my garage door. Good thing about gravel is I can put boards under the axle stands to get them standing high, and then dig out the gravel under the box. Not ideal but might give me enough clearance to get the box out on a wheeled board.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
              I did mine bushes. Out is easy. In is a nightmare unless you by the split version

Oh right? Just a tight fit? Can you press them in with a heavy clamp?

Comment

Abl clutch can be done on your own on the drive but its heavy going! I used 3 Jack's bars and all sorts to get the bugger back in!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
                  Ah blimey, yeah she don't want to be doing any lifting with that! Hope it gets sorted for her.

Cheers. I'll have a practice in front of my garage door. Good thing about gravel is I can put boards under the axle stands to get them standing high, and then dig out the gravel under the box. Not ideal but might give me enough clearance to get the box out on a wheeled board.

Sounds legit.

Seriously though, please be careful...these vans ain't light (says the idiot that used to walk along window ledges 50 metres up without a harness). Safety first please.
                  Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

I thought the Haynes manual broke down the processes nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                      Sounds legit.

Seriously though, please be careful...these vans ain't light (says the idiot that used to walk along window ledges 50 metres up without a harness). Safety first please.
                      A can red bull will do[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Comment

Sounds legit.

Cheers arf. Yeah I've heard enough stories and imagined the "worst case" while under the van to never want that to happen.

Have at least two axle stands at any one time, and tend to leave the jack locked in position too as a back up.

Not worth doing unsafely.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                          I thought the Haynes manual broke down the processes nicely.
                          Cheers! The gearbox removal job? I'll have a look tomorrow.

I'm relying on this forum too much. To be honest the gold I get here is normally so much better than Haynes or Bentley.

Comment

Sounds legit.

Also... Your comment makes you sound like some sort of international jewel thief?!? Haha

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
                              Also... Your comment makes you sound like some sort of international jewel thief?!? Haha

No, not quite. Bespoke glazing solutions.
                              Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

Working...
                              X