Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Sorry but that graph means nowt to me.

I've asked people to explain them in the past and still none the wiser.
    Glad it's running well. The torque is simply fantstastic. I'll see if I've got a calc on my phone.

Comment

• To map your data against a manufacturers compressor map you need to calculate the pumping volume of the specific engine.

CFM=L x RPM x VE x PR / 5660

CFM = cubic feet / minute
      L = Engine Displacement in litres
      RPM = revs per minute
      VE = Volumetric Efficiency (use 0.8 for 2 valves per cylinder)
      PR = Pressure Ratio

This is the air volume pumped by the engine which is then mixed with fuel for the desired AFR.

Garret use lb/min for their maps (CFM÷14.27)
      3K use m3/sec for their maps (lb/min ÷ 162.04)

So, using different rpm rates you can plot the air mass that's being produced at different boost pressures. Keeping the pressures within the turbos tolerances and within the efficiency clouds ensures the air being pumped is done so efficiently.

Comment

• Thank you.

Having a think about my limp mode symptoms last night.

Tried to log it on Friday - wouldn't do it!

Anyway, it's a pressure deviation fault code, I'm a assuming the actual boost is less than the ECU expects to see?

If I'm coasting at 60mph, momentum is driving the engine and there is 0 load.

Now if I want adjust my road speed, I bring in the throttle gradually to say 10%, not enough to create any drive, enough to reduce the engine braking effect and reduce deceleration.....still 0 load

Limp mode is triggered

I take it the ECU does not care about road speed or selected gear?

Does the ECU see the revs (2100 - 2200), see the 10-15% drivers wish input, and eventually comes up with a boost figure required?

But because the engine has no load there;s no boost created and the ECU throws a wobbly?

But then.....ECU doesn't know load either, so boost should relate to IQ????

Dunno???? What I do know, is that the limp trigger only happens in a very small window of parameters and when you try to provoke it you can't.

Comment

• Same as my limp mode. The same two hills and only those two.
          Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Thank you.

Having a think about my limp mode symptoms last night.

Tried to log it on Friday - wouldn't do it!

Anyway, it's a pressure deviation fault code, I'm a assuming the actual boost is less than the ECU expects to see?

If I'm coasting at 60mph, momentum is driving the engine and there is 0 load.

Now if I want adjust my road speed, I bring in the throttle gradually to say 10%, not enough to create any drive, enough to reduce the engine braking effect and reduce deceleration.....still 0 load

Limp mode is triggered

I take it the ECU does not care about road speed or selected gear?

Does the ECU see the revs (2100 - 2200), see the 10-15% drivers wish input, and eventually comes up with a boost figure required?

But because the engine has no load there;s no boost created and the ECU throws a wobbly?

But then.....ECU doesn't know load either, so boost should relate to IQ????

Dunno???? What I do know, is that the limp trigger only happens in a very small window of parameters and when you try to provoke it you can't.
            The mod to the actuator is adding another control. It would be interesting to see the actual boost plot under WOT. Turbo maps are 3D, so yes, it could be a 250rpm window at a specific boost that causes the limp. The calc above helps to plot the compressor map controls, it's necessary as another uncontrollable (our ECU) is the generated air temps.

No gear or road speed inputs on this ECU.

Just a thought but have you got another 2.5bar MAP sensor? The tolerances with two identical sensors can be quite broad.

I'm back at home for a few days R&R.
            I'll take a look at the -20% map if I can get away from the list of chores. I'm sure it's just a tweak that's needed around the 2000 - 2500 rpm , could be just a single plotting point.
            Last edited by Activ8; 16 September 2019, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• Makeover time, bored of the old interior, my needs have changed somewhat so I've started to rip it all out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190920_212304[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	268321

The problem with building the van furniture in situ is that most of the screws that fix the first battens in place that everything build onto are often obscured by later additions or designed to be hidden or just buried under the final trim.

Final got the cupboard out, it wasn't giving up without a fight though, chunks of the floor came up with it

Comment

• Looking forward to this. Crack on Reg!
                Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Not sure how I'm going to lighten the interior, previously it was a bit dark, a sea of dark grey veltrim four way stretch carpet

might bring some more wood in the design, ideally the roof lining needs to go, I'd love something like sausage has for his roof - he owes me a few hours....

It's not started well though, the plan to lighten it, what am I replacing the black leather upholstered rock and roll with? Yep even larger black leather seats,

A bit like these

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	268322

wish I'd hunted down some cream versions or maybe some two tone ones, they were an impulse buy, cheap and fairly local.

Comment

Not sure how I'm going to lighten the interior, previously it was a bit dark, a sea of dark grey veltrim four way stretch carpet

might bring some more wood in the design, ideally the roof lining needs to go, I'd love something like sausage has for his roof - he owes me a few hours....

It's not started well though, the plan to lighten it, what am I replacing the black leather upholstered rock and roll with? Yep even larger black leather seats,

A bit like these

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13740[/ATTACH]

wish I'd hunted down some cream versions or maybe some two tone ones, they were an impulse buy, cheap and fairly local.
                    Something like these perhaps Reg?
                    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F202782418281

Comment

• mmmmm maybe not, they look a little too DFS for me. two tone might work

ne'er mind, I've got what I've got now - and they've got some neat folding tricks that will work well for an occasional camper van.

Comment

mmmmm maybe not, they look a little too DFS for me. two tone might work

ne'er mind, I've got what I've got now - and they've got some neat folding tricks that will work well for an occasional camper van.
                        I'm intrigued , so how do they fold?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                          I'm intrigued , so how do they fold?
                          Nothing radical I guess, the base hinges forward and the back folds down horizontal, potentially forming a section of bed and a headboard.

Just nicely designed and very neat.

Also the bases lift, so when I fit a base to lift them up it'll make a hidden storage area with the seat being the lid.

Plan is to put everything on rails, the seats will go in with a low height, removable storage box behind.

When I go camping, the seats and the storage box will come forward giving enough room for a separate camping pod to slot in by the back door. The camping pod should have a two ring cooker with grill, the gas bottle and maybe a couple of drawers with kitchen/camping tat in them.

At least that's the plan..... for now the van is empty

Name:	empty van.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	268350

very noticeably lighter, the rear end has popped up about 20mm and I have some rake going on.

That's my new car in the background - a 3 cylinder corsa given to me by the neighbours, not sure what to do with that yet, but my boy is 16 soon and driving lessons wont be far away. He has absolutely no interest in cars so a corsa should suit him.

My youngest Josh (who a few met at Action) loves cars and seems to think he'll have a R32 skyline as his first car, he'll be decimated when he realises insurance will limit him to a very similar box of misery like his elder brother endured.

Comment

• I can see two Corsa’s In the background Reg , you must have a soft spot for them

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
                              I can see two Corsa’s In the background Reg , you must have a soft spot for them
                              There may be two chassis but you need to divide by two to get one working car.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
                                I can see two Corsa’s In the background Reg , you must have a soft spot for them
                                For Josh. He just don't know it yet

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s
                                Last edited by Hans; 22 September 2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X