No announcement yet.

My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of work on the van tonight, I wanted to get a sticker dissing the T5 but by mistake bought the normal one that missed the point

Click image for larger version

Name:	sticker1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	267809

Bit of work with a scalpel and humour is restored

Name:	sticker2.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	267810

However - the irony is strong.....

Name:	ironic.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	267812

No serious work though, fitting an original air filter in place of the pipercross 'performance' filter that I believe is responsible for some of the lack of power and fitting the bonnet strut that I bought some time ago.

It wasnt until I opened the box that I realised it had been sent with some haribos that were now out of date.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
      Bit of work on the van tonight, I wanted to get a sticker dissing the T5 but by mistake bought the normal one that missed the point

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13146[/ATTACH]

Bit of work with a scalpel and humour is restored

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13147[/ATTACH]

However - the irony is strong.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13149[/ATTACH]

No serious work though, fitting an original air filter in place of the pipercross 'performance' filter that I believe is responsible for some of the lack of power and fitting the bonnet strut that I bought some time ago.

It wasnt until I opened the box that I realised it had been sent with some haribos that were now out of date.
      Was the pipercross a panel filter? I fitted a bmc panel in mine and did seem to make a little difference, although the paper one was piss wet through.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
      Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Comment

• Originally posted by tommo1366 View Post
        Was the pipercross a panel filter? I fitted a bmc panel in mine and did seem to make a little difference, although the paper one was piss wet through.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
        Somethings not quite right then Tommo.
        Was the housing sealed properly? Any cracks / damage to the lid or housing? A wet filter will reduce airflow and airmass to the turbo.

Comment

• Haha I like the sticker

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
            Haha I like the sticker
            All was fine - until the the boost pipe blew off on a hard charge down to St Ives for the weekend. "BOOOMPFF" and loads of black smoke

Happened 4 times before my co-pilots looks encouraged me to lay off the loud pedal and keep the boost down.

Trying to clamp on a plastic pipe that just deformed rather than clamp up tight.

Made it though

Name:	DSCN3516.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	267972

It was a cracking weekend, despite what the forecast said

Name:	DSCN3578.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	267973

Just before I went away for the weekend, a parcel turned up for me.

Name:	IMG_20190809_134406.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	267974

Six speed conversion adapter plate.

I called in favours from local fabricators that I use for work to get some quotes then took a punt on an unknown supplier in china and they turned my parts around quicker and cheaper than I could get them locally at mates rates. Their prices were less than material cost in the UK, sure I had to pay tax and shipping on top but it was still nearly half the price!

Wont be fitted in time for Action though, but I may get the boost pipe fixed....

Comment

All was fine - until the the boost pipe blew off on a hard charge down to St Ives for the weekend. "BOOOMPFF" and loads of black smoke
              Happened 4 times before my co-pilots looks encouraged me to lay off the loud pedal and keep the boost down.
              Trying to clamp on a plastic pipe that just deformed rather than clamp up tight.
              Made it though
              Wont be fitted in time for Action though, but I may get the boost pipe fixed....
              Don't the OEM plastic boost pipes have a inner brass ringlet pipe to stop the deformation when clamped?
              What was the boost pressure?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                Don't the OEM plastic boost pipes have a inner brass ringlet pipe to stop the deformation when clamped?
                What was the boost pressure?
                They do, unless some idiot cuts the oem pipe down to fit an intercooler.

Originally posted by From post 22 of this thread
                I've been trying to avoid doing it until it was absolutely necessary, but it was making trying to eye things up near impossible, so with a jubilee clamp fitted as a cutting guide I chopped the original turbo to inlet manifold link pipe in half.

It was somewhere between 15-20 psi

Comment

• Do you want a couple?

Your bolt in the actuator cap can't be working very well?
                  Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                  They do, unless some idiot cuts the oem pipe down to fit an intercooler.

It was somewhere between 15-20 psi

Comment

• It's not fitted - because clutch.

I've probably got some spare pipe that will fit. Need to get that sensor fitted somewhere else and loose the pipe completely.

Should I look for a 4 bar sensor?

Comment

It's not fitted - because clutch.

I've probably got some spare pipe that will fit. Need to get that sensor fitted somewhere else and loose the pipe completely.

Should I look for a 4 bar sensor?
                      Thought you'd bought the aluminium MAP sensor fitting last year?

Are you planning on hitting those pressure ratios 58.8psi???? If so, yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                        Thought you'd bought the aluminium MAP sensor fitting last year?

Are you planning on hitting those pressure ratios 58.8psi???? If so, yes.
                        I definitely looked at it - maybe I did buy one...

30+ psi which is the nearing the upper end of the 3 bar sensor's range and I thought it was better to switch to the 4 bar in this case?

Comment

• Boost pipe fixed, it was all sorts of shapes, mostly triangular.

I found a large bar, warmed the plastic up with hot air gun and worked it until I could fit the bar in.

Carried on applying heat, worked the bar in circular motions to open the pipe bore up a bit, grabbed a length of stainless pipe and tapped it inside the plastic pipe.

Should be fine now.

Comment

• So the prep for Action begins....

And as usual I avoid the things I actually need to do and concentrate on unimportant things like LED lights

So you may have seen elsewhere I bought these led light bars, time to get them fitted

Name:	IMG_20190817_124214[1].jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	268023

Obviously, because of the amount of crap I spout on here about wiring, I couldn't just bodge these in, it had to be a proper job, first up I failed to find a decent live feed for the DRLs and the only option is to tap into the the loom properly, which means going through the bulkhead

Name:	IMG_20190817_132305[1].jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	268024

Once I have a feed, I can wire the earth and the indicator feed direct to the indicator plug and just need to tap into the original connector, so pass the wire through the seal and solder the wire onto the connector

Name:	IMG_20190817_142252[1].jpg
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	268025

And then latched home into the connector housing

Name:	IMG_20190817_144742[1].jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	268026

Note the continuity error? Yep the red wire was never supposed to be connected, so had to re-do that one

Last thing was to fit the feed for the DRLs - tapped into the fuse box using - yes a preinsulated shitty connector that I normally hate, but that was all I had in my box of bits that fitted but it is a decent AMP connector

Name:	IMG_20190817_155351[1].jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	268027

So, lights done, time to get on with the oil and filter swap, first up I need to remove the intercooler that wasn't connected anyway. It's been leaking for a while and deleted a few weeks ago so I thought I'd pull it out and find the leak - nothing obvious though.

Name:	IMG_20190817_170606[1].jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	268028

Filter swapped and oil changed, now I know I always bleat on about not 'over oiling' the engine and a cheap semi-synth is all that is required....

Name:	IMG_20190817_173703[1].jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	268029

But look at the price! £10 for 5 litres of mobil 1, from the clearance shelf at Halfords - Barry-argain!

Comment

• While I was under the van getting soaked in oil from the filter, I spotted a few things that need attention.

The chassis legs bet a battering, the bottom edge of both sides needs a clean up and a coat of something, this is the worst of the two

Name:	IMG_20190818_120426[1].jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	268043

This might explain the new rattle that I spotted while reversing the other day

Name:	IMG_20190818_112920[1].jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	268044

Exhaust support bracket - it's obviously not an ideal setup as they always break, last time the rubber bobbin separated, now with a beefed up bobbin the bracket has stress fractured, a clean up, a bit of mig and some cold galv paint and all is good

Name:	IMG_20190818_120344[1].jpg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	268045

Also spotted this stowaway on the back of the rad, probably jumped on as I drove by.

Name:	IMG_20190818_112944[1].jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	268046

As I have noticed a slight bit of brake noise, I pulled the wheel off to check the rear pads, good job too, new pad and discs next week.

Name:	IMG_20190818_121737[1].jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	268047

And finally one for Activ, who kindly donated a wastegate actuator to the cheesetowers R&D facility, it was carefully taken apart to see how it was assembled and how to add some mechanical assistance to the wastegate

Name:	IMG_20190817_164021[1].jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	268048

It's almost as if it was designed to have a preload screw fitted, and the simple solution is to fit a M5 bolt in place of the resident air pipe fitting.

Name:	IMG_20190818_111125[1].jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	268049

Unfortunately, because the cap is crimped, there's no real way to re-fit it and remain serviceable, but know it has given up the secrets of it's inner workings, we can modify our wastegates - as I have done earlier.

Apologies to Activ for ruining his actuator - but it didn't die in vain, it was all in the name of education and quite literally in this case, knowledge IS power.

Comment

• What size is the valve Reg?

Could you use a TIAL style V-band clamp to reseal the actuator housing? Changing the spring would be useful upping it to 1 bar would claim a lot of the N75 map back for rebuilding the housing for bigger boost builds.

So what's the plan? Remove the top port and replace it with a welded nut?

Comment

Working...
                                X