No announcement yet.

My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 228mm - Cost perhaps plus what's the torque rating / difference between 240 & 228mm plates?

Fuckmuppetry & Bodge Award Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      228mm - Cost perhaps plus what's the torque rating / difference between 240 & 228mm plates?

Well, it's 10.8% better, it'll hold more torque for less wear.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
        Well, it's 10.8% better, it'll hold more torque for less wear.
        Yep 10.8% bigger .... better, I'm not so sure 500Nm x 10.8% , for an extra 58Nm? Then again if I can find a 20v solution it'll be necessary!

Comment

Yep 10.8% bigger .... better, I'm not so sure 500Nm x 10.8% , for an extra 58Nm? Then again if I can find a 20v solution it'll be necessary!

Ahhh but torque is force times distance, increase the distance and the force is less = lighter pressure plate, less grab for the same torque capacity.

20V? That's one of those petrol things isn't it? You do realise it's a van dont you? Vans are manly things with manly diesel burning engines. Petrol is for cars and other homosexual activityies like motorcycling.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
            Ahhh but torque is force times distance, increase the distance and the force is less = lighter pressure plate, less grab for the same torque capacity..
            I just think you have components to use. A nice lightweight flywheel - could you machine the 228 to a 240mm face? Or was the face already 240mm? Techniclutch must already supply similar 240mm clutch components? Have you got pics of the 228mm flywheel fitted?
            Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
            20V? That's one of those petrol things isn't it? You do realise it's a van dont you? Vans are manly things with manly diesel burning engines. Petrol is for cars and other homosexual activityies like motorcycling.
            True, but the engine was developed as a diesel & homo-engine. We're in the unique position of already having the block fitted for building a real beast! Plus I've already got a lot of Quattro parts. It's not as if no one has done this before either.... don't understand why no-one has built a 1000hp T4?

Comment

• I like this talk of 20v's. Proper engines. There was 2 builds on the t4forum with them by a guy with the username biggles. One never got finished though..... as an aside the 2.5 aaf engine has a compression of 8.5-1 which i think is screaming out for a turbo. Diesel exhaust manifold, larger injectors and a bit of megasquirt and you could have 200ish bhp easily....

Comment

• Originally posted by lister View Post
                I like this talk of 20v's. Proper engines. There was 2 builds on the t4forum with them by a guy with the username biggles. One never got finished though..... as an aside the 2.5 aaf engine has a compression of 8.5-1 which i think is screaming out for a turbo. Diesel exhaust manifold, larger injectors and a bit of megasquirt and you could have 200ish bhp easily....
                I'm looking at a Volvo D5254 head (the 20V) this week, if I can get it at the right money it will be the basis for another project. Might need a long nose for it though! [emoji848]

Comment

• aha.

I thought you were going all four pot 1.8 20V on us.

Comment

• Got to do some reading up 1st but theres some correlation and a process to fit a 20v head on our blocks. Volvo extrapolated the 5 pot diesels further than VW so that's my 1st call. Got to collect the D5252T & another head but while I'm there I'm hoping to pick up some clues and other goodies.

Comment

I like this talk of 20v's. Proper engines. There was 2 builds on the t4forum with them by a guy with the username biggles. One never got finished though..... as an aside the 2.5 aaf engine has a compression of 8.5-1 which i think is screaming out for a turbo. Diesel exhaust manifold, larger injectors and a bit of megasquirt and you could have 200ish bhp easily....
                      Biggles0449 15.1 quarter miler. Nice...

http://vid38.photobucket.com/albums/...psv1rzjfwm.mp4
                      Last edited by Activ8; 18 September 2018, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• Bens (biggles) was an 2.2 Audi engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          Bens (biggles) was an 2.2 Audi engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                          Yep AAN - Still.... its a beauty.... from Holsworthy (?) Dan , one question , what was the one biggest restriction to reaching 250 bhp you encountered?

Comment

Got to do some reading up 1st but theres some correlation and a process to fit a 20v head on our blocks. Volvo extrapolated the 5 pot diesels further than VW so that's my 1st call. Got to collect the D5252T & another head but while I'm there I'm hoping to pick up some clues and other goodies.

I wonder what the bellhousing pattern is on the volvo petrol block?? Would make a very economical upgrade if its the same as the t4

Comment

• Reg. Not forgotten the actuator will send it down this week. Getting side tracked with the mundane.

Comment

I wonder what the bellhousing pattern is on the volvo petrol block?? Would make a very economical upgrade if its the same as the t4
                                The problem would be the position of the diff/driveshafts as the engine is canted over at a different angle in the T4 to a Volvo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X