No announcement yet.

My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So based upon tonight's drive you suspect the top port was leaking and failing to seal the wastegate valve?

Fuckmuppetry & Bodge Award Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      So based upon tonight's drive you suspect the top port was leaking and failing to seal the wastegate valve?

Nope not exactly. The top port was fine.

The wastegate valve was leaking on the housing, the boost pressure was just holding it shut tighter - any small flow through the valve was tending to push it open - much like a plug in a full sink is difficult to unseat, but if you put a hole in it, you can pull it open easy because less differential pressure either side of the plug.

However, in order to hold the valve shut there needs to be boost present, so when just starting to boost there's no 'assist ' and lots of leakage meaning a boost dead spot when picking up from idle.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
        Nope not exactly. The top port was fine.

The wastegate valve was leaking on the housing, the boost pressure was just holding it shut tighter - any small flow through the valve was tending to push it open - much like a plug in a full sink is difficult to unseat, but if you put a hole in it, you can pull it open easy because less differential pressure either side of the plug.

However, in order to hold the valve shut there needs to be boost present, so when just starting to boost there's no 'assist ' and lots of leakage meaning a boost dead spot when picking up from idle.
        So you've had the wastegate off, ground it back to clean it up? or just swapped it?

Comment

So you've had the wastegate off, ground it back to clean it up? or just swapped it?

Yes - when the turbo was off for the oil leak fix.

I was going to lap the seat back into the housing but realised I had nothing to lap it in with. Should have turned up a drill mounted tool to suit and done the job properly whilst I had access.

I went for the half-arsed wire brush in a drill - but it has seemed to work.

The turbo shaft is slopping about a bit so it's days are numbered.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	ACV_AAB_HeadComparepng.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	265659
            Click image for larger version

Name:	ACV_AAB_HeadComparepng1.png
Views:	1
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	265660

Comment

• The AUDI S2 boyz are buidling "strokers" (yes I know where this could go,...) using the AET block and fitting 20V heads for 1000+bhp monsters?

https://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=15941

More research required.

Comment

• Exciting!

Fitted my roof rack pads

WOOHOOO!

Comment

• Those garages look narrow.

Comment

• Yeah. New dual cam phone did something odd there?

Comment

• Gearbox Adaptor & new post from Speeding Tube...
                      https://youtu.be/8kkKS9EVd_k

Comment

• Are you thinking about machining a flywheel spacer or getting and adjusted width flywheel made?
                        Does your garage engine still have the 220mm flywheel fitted?

Comment

Are you thinking about machining a flywheel spacer or getting and adjusted width flywheel made?
                          Does your garage engine still have the 220mm flywheel fitted?

Flywheel spacer the same width as the adaptor plate.

No fly on my spare engine but I still have my original DMF

Also eyeing up a LUK 415 0103 10 earlier for a shade under £300.

Comment

• There's a LUK 228mm SMF conversion for the Golf / Audi 2.0TDi GRF with the correct hub profile PN#826856 is the clutch kit (3 parts) which would mean keeping what you've got and just changing the sintered plate/paddle?

Comment

• Complete clutch here 15k km.
                              https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273437028698

Comment

• i'd seen it and would never buy a second hand clutch, this brand new one I bought is bad enough.

why bother even fitting a 228mm clutch - makes no sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X