No announcement yet.

Adventure Van Build Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick walk around Cow Green Reservoir on the Pennines, before setting up camp in Ousby nr Penrith for a few nights.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Just T4s

'00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

• Hello campers!

Comment

• Nice1 AV. Have a good break.

Comment

• Nice one AV, enjoy…

Comment

• Originally posted by Adventure Van View Post
            Hello campers!

Nice one. Is that a Khyam motordome? Whe have a really only one. Great bit of kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Yes, it's an old motordome classic - bought for £50 (iirc) from a builder who'd sold his van and bought a caravan. It's needed some new joints and a water proofing over the years, but after the use it's had it owes me nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adventure Van View Post
                Yes, it's an old motordome classic - bought for £50 (iirc) from a builder who'd sold his van and bought a caravan. It's needed some new joints and a water proofing over the years, but after the use it's had it owes me nothing.

Nice one. Ours was second hand too. They are really expensive new aren’t they. Great awning.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• On other news... Things to fix after our little trip...

That bastard clunking is worse than ever - top arms and torsion bars will have to removed and checked.

Rear springs are sagging to shit now - change them or fit some spring assistors?

Oh, and the fucking gear linkage gave up the ghost, leaving only 3rd and 4th - fixed it with a zip tie for now. Bushes in order... Wouldn't mind but I only didn't them 50k ago!

Comment

• Last day was Haweswater, a little walk around the lake and some grub when we got back. Perfect day in my opinion.

Comment

• Gear linkage bushes replaced - just need to do the final adjustment underneath.

The clunking has resulted in pulling the top wishbone/torsion bar....

All was going fine - some bolts were pretty tight, never delved this far into the front suspension before. Stumbled on the last bolt holding the torsion bar to the front arm (see 2nd pic). Access was pretty terrible, tried a short bar with a deep socket - no chance, tried a selection of long extensions and a long breaker bar, nope. Applied some liberal heat, no budging. I'd got to the point my only option was to drop the tank and pull the assembly as one. Took it to work, got it hot with an induction heater then buzzed it off with a rattle gun - sorted.

Using Hans technique with a bottle jack, the old bushes practically fell out. Only got the rear bushes at the mo - APC overnight should arrive tomorrow with the fronts. New one slipped in but pretty tight compared to the old (probably a good thing). I'm only doing the one side at the moment - we've booked to go away Friday on what would have been camperjam weekend, doing both sides would be pushing it a little too close for my liking.

While I was underneath I've taken the opportunity to finally (after many years of being annoyed by them) free up the torsion bar adjusters - so hopefully it'll all go back together nicely, and I'll be able to adjust the ride height properly. I got some new saddle/mount bushes for the torsion bars too - although I can't see the old ones were bad, just while I was there.

Last edited by Adventure Van; 30 June 2021, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X