Adventure Van Build Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groovy.....
    Just watch the internal SHAPING in the compressor housing , each housing is moulded / machined for the unique compressor wheel for the application. Check the play in the shaft to make sure it doesn't catch on the housing but also that the spacing around housing isn't too great.
    Good time to look at upgrading the turbo, so take a clean sheet of a4 paper and put it over the exhaust to turbo housing and take a rubbing likewise the turbo - are the holes identical & matched up - good time to get the die grinder out! Keep the paper as it may help with trying other turbo configs / making adaptor plates.

Just a word of warning .... seen this done - where you tighten the compressor wheel up to check it or remove some play - don't!

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Thanks for your input Activ8 - always appreciated! [emoji106]

No play in the shaft at all, spins nicely. Got a new gasket kit coming which would be useful to trace first.

We talked about upgrading before... I've researched changing to VNT, but that's out of my depth for now. Saab wastegated ones look close, waiting for the right one to come along... Curiously ABL engined T4's came with two different turbos TB's and GT's (GT1544s is the more powerful, which is what I have).

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Just T4s
      '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

• Originally posted by Adventure Van View Post
        ... Curiously ABL engined T4's came with two different turbos TB's and GT's (GT1544s is the more powerful, which is what I have).
        Yes but if I recall correctly you cannot upgrade the GT1544 ([emoji107]) where as the ABL unit had 3 or 4 larger compressor wheel options ([emoji108]) making it a lot easier to reach the units full potential.

Comment

• Induction hob from Maplin has arrived... Just don't have any steel or copper pans to try it out with!

Comment

Induction hob from Maplin has arrived... Just don't have any steel or copper pans to try it out with!

Looks smart! Mine should be arriving next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Induction hob from Maplin has arrived... Just don't have any steel or copper pans to try it out with!

Looks like it even connects to Facebook.

Sent from The Bat phone using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Spug103 View Post
                Looks like it even connects to Facebook.

Sent from The Bat phone using Just T4s
                It took me at least 30 seconds of staring at the picture tospot the 'F'... 🤦

Been down the town and scored a steel based saucepan from a charity shop for £3. Result! [emoji3]

Comment

• Looks like it has an alarm clock and a pharmacy button too!

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                  Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Comment

• Cold air intake sensor housing has arrived from Austria...

No-one in the UK does an alloy one. Going to get a contact to weld it into a 57mm intercooler pipe, and then we should be back in business - after I've extended the wiring loom to reach it.

Comment

• Jobs a good un

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Cold air intake sensor housing has arrived from Austria...

No-one in the UK does an alloy one. Going to get a contact to weld it into a 57mm intercooler pipe, and then we should be back in business - after I've extended the wiring loom to reach it.

Use the same sized diameter pipe as standard don't oversize as the readings to the ECU will be wrong unless you recalibrate the sensor settings in the ECU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                          Use the same sized diameter pipe as standard don't oversize as the readings to the ECU will be wrong unless you recalibrate the sensor settings in the ECU.

It's air temperature, not pressure, but I know what you're saying... [emoji106]

Comment

It's air temperature, not pressure, but I know what you're saying... [emoji106]

Assumed it was the MAF based on what you wrote....Sure it's not airflow and temp bud? The sensor scaling for the ECU will be based on a specific diameter of pipe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                              Assumed it was the MAF based on what you wrote....Sure it's not airflow and temp bud? The sensor scaling for the ECU will be based on a specific diameter of pipe.

It's referred to as a cold air intake sensor - so I presumed it's monitoring air temperature after the intercooler. It could be air flow as well - but it's not like a hot wire style MAF sensor...

TBH using the plastic OE boost pipe cut down was just a temporary measure. This replacement will be more secure (swaged ends on the pipe), and create a better/smoother flow of air.

I suppose we'll see when it's plumbed in... [emoji854][emoji3][emoji106]

Comment

Cold air intake sensor housing has arrived from Austria...

If I’d of know the dimensions ,I could’ve made you one , I’m a machinist / Toolmaker

Comment

Working...
                                X