Adventure Van Build Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genuine bolts have arrived!

They weren't cheap, even with trade discount, but they're the right ones for the job...

Just waiting on the drill bits to arrive now, should be tomorrow or Thursday.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Just T4s
    '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

• Originally posted by Adventure Van View Post
      Nope... Smaller discs (300mm instead of 313 iirc). Can't be doing with paying hundreds for a pair of calipers that may be knackered, and are in short supply. Rather pay a few pounds for something that's plentiful, and easily replaced.

The 300mm (57mm piston) are a good choice as are the 2.5's vented 282mm (54mm piston) OEM units for a 1.9.

The VR6 calipers (again 57mm piston) are available at reasonable prices new & used with about 10 brands offering the parts as exchange or outright purchase, however, the 313mm carriers are like rocking horse poo. The kits to rebuild the calipers are inexpensive too from ATE and other brands. Being a cast iron (heavy) caliper they are solid, disassemble easily and clean up lovely as a quality piece of ATE hardware.

Compared to an aftermarket carrier and / or adaptor with a similar sized caliper they represent good used value at about £130 a pair complete, delivered from Germany.

The M18x1.5x48mm carrier bolts are silly money, you can buy 4x M18x1.5x50mm bolts for the price of one OEM VAG bolt.

Both the 300 & 313 calipers and disks are recognised by the T4 insurers too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
        The 300mm (57mm piston) are a good choice as are the 2.5's vented 282mm (54mm piston) OEM units for a 1.9.

The VR6 calipers (again 57mm piston) are available at reasonable prices new & used with about 10 brands offering the parts as exchange or outright purchase, however, the 313mm carriers are like rocking horse poo. The kits to rebuild the calipers are inexpensive too from ATE and other brands. Being a cast iron (heavy) caliper they are solid, disassemble easily and clean up lovely as a quality piece of ATE hardware.

Compared to an aftermarket carrier and / or adaptor with a similar sized caliper they represent good used value at about £130 a pair complete, delivered from Germany.

The M18x1.5x48mm carrier bolts are silly money, you can buy 4x M18x1.5x50mm bolts for the price of one OEM VAG bolt.

Both the 300 & 313 calipers and disks are recognised by the T4 insurers too.
        Couldn't find bolts in 10.9 tensile strength, so bought genuine - wanted them to be 'right'.

Even factoring in the new bolts the 300mm calipers were a third of the price of the 313mm ones - too spicy for my small pockets.

Discs and pads had seen better days, so I was changing those anyway... [emoji106]

Comment

Couldn't find bolts in 10.9 tensile strength, so bought genuine - wanted them to be 'right'.

Even factoring in the new bolts the 300mm calipers were a third of the price of the 313mm ones - too spicy for my small pockets.

Discs and pads had seen better days, so I was changing those anyway... [emoji106]

Not a critique bud just adding to the info. Great value and huge braking gains over the standard issue.

Those 300mm/57 calipers are used on a lot of the VAG 312mm front brake builds with the carrier appropriately modded and despite having ordered a lot of carriers to suit I haven't found one that's a straight fit on the T4 to date with the 312mm diameter.

I wondered how different the Sharalhabraxy knuckle & hubs are compared to a T4 ,as it might offer a different front suspension setup on the T4??

Comment

• Would have thought there will be a dirty great hole in the Sharon for the strut.
            Last edited by S49; 9 July 2019, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
              Not a critique bud just adding to the info. Great value and huge braking gains over the standard issue.

?
              No-one can knock your knowledge Activ... [emoji106]

Hit a stubbling block until the drill bits arrive. So I'm painting my wheels - with hammerite. Hand painted finish ahoy... Going to try and t-cut it back to smooth it out a bit.

Last edited by Adventure Van; 9 July 2019, 11:15 PM.

Comment

• So today in the post was, among other things, an 18mm hss drill bit.

Managed tonight to drill out the hubs, and mount up the new 300mm vented discs and the caliper carriers. Wasn't looking forward to enlarging the holes 16mm to 18mm but they drilled out fairly easily, slow and steady with plenty of duck oil.

Undid the original flexi hose, and popped on the new caliper...

Sadly the other side flexi wouldn't come undone, so I'll pick up a new hose tomorrow in work.
                Last edited by Adventure Van; 10 July 2019, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• New hose fitted to the other side, and fitted up with fresh pads. Checked everything for tightness, and preceded to bleed... With the help of my neighbour. Good solid pedal - can't test drive yet cause I'm still painting the wheels. Hopefully will be dry enough tomorrow to get the tyres back on and balanced... Then it'll be time to start on the rears! [emoji16]

Comment

• Brakes are great, not stamped in anger yet cause I'm still bedding them in - but good enough to pass today's MOT.

Got some work to do though...

Corrosion concerns me, so I'll be underneath with a clean, treat and underseal process soon. Advisories on the wishbone bushes, maybe that'll be a winter's job. Oh, and tyres, well... [emoji56]

Last edited by Adventure Van; 20 July 2019, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• Tyres mate ? Shame on you and twisted brake hose tut tut

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
                        Tyres mate ? Shame on you and twisted brake hose tut tut
                        Agree on the tyres - I thought they'd fail for sure... Got new ones waiting, I'll paint the wheels while they're off.

Brake hose is a strange one - I thought it was a fail for a twisted hose. If you take the caliper off and twist it round, the hose is twisted the other way, same if you turn the other round 180 in the union. Needs further investigation... They'll be coming off to be painted in the next week anyhow. [emoji41]

Comment

• Beerhead, yesterday... [emoji106]

Comment

Beerhead, yesterday... [emoji106]

Is that the exit to the car park?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                            Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Comment

• Originally posted by tommo1366 View Post
                              Is that the exit to the car park?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                              Further up... Over the cattle grid at the very top of the road. Cheeky parking in a private road... [emoji41]

Comment

• Beerhead?

Sounds like two components for a good night.

Comment

Working...
                                X