My T4 isn't Happy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S49 View Post
    I was always lead to believe you didn't need to use the cold start/choke in the uk. Dad had an L regger when I borrowed it he'd say don't touch that choke!
    Yep. VW themselves stopped fitting the cold start advance to their uk cars in the mid nineties.

It was left on the vans, as the may be used in more severe climates.

Quite useful as a diagnostic tool - if you need to add advance to get a clean start - it's a fair indication that the pump timing is retarded. This can be as simple as timing setting or an internal pump pressure issue typically caused by air in the pump.

Comment

The longer i'm on here the more I learn, cheers.

Comment

I started mine this morning no cold start but what I did was turn ignition on and wait for glow plug light to go out, turned off ignition and back on, once the glow plug light had gone out started it and it was perfect? No smoke and not lumpy does this still point to timing being out or a duff glow plug? I'll check the timing anyway, was just wondering.

Sell my T4 ? I'd rather stick wasps up my butt !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Thebigredone View Post
          I started mine this morning no cold start but what I did was turn ignition on and wait for glow plug light to go out, turned off ignition and back on, once the glow plug light had gone out started it and it was perfect? No smoke and not lumpy does this still point to timing being out or a duff glow plug? I'll check the timing anyway, was just wondering.

You did a 'double glow' - used to have to do that on my mitsu when it got a bit cold for the 80% veg.

You've just put a little more heat into the cylinder to aid ignition.

it 'could' be a duff plug.

It would take 20 minutes to add a few degrees more advance though - and the same time to reverse the change if it doesn't work.

Get flywheel to TDC - add a lob of white paint/tippex to the mark

lock up pump

slacken pump pulley

ease flywheel backward a tooth or two using a big screwdriver as a lever in the inspection hole.

tighten up pump pulley

unlock pump

job done.

Don't mess about taking 'measurements' they are largely irrelevant unless your pump is brand new and your injectors spot on as well - as these and the engine wears the ideal timing setting will shift from the factory recommended setting.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
            You did a 'double glow' - used to have to do that on my mitsu when it got a bit cold for the 80% veg.

You've just put a little more heat into the cylinder to aid ignition.

it 'could' be a duff plug.

It would take 20 minutes to add a few degrees more advance though - and the same time to reverse the change if it doesn't work.

Get flywheel to TDC - add a lob of white paint/tippex to the mark

lock up pump

slacken pump pulley

ease flywheel backward a tooth or two using a big screwdriver as a lever in the inspection hole.

tighten up pump pulley

unlock pump

job done.

Don't mess about taking 'measurements' they are largely irrelevant unless your pump is brand new and your injectors spot on as well - as these and the engine wears the ideal timing setting will shift from the factory recommended setting.
            Lovely cheers mate I'll have a crack at that the weekend 👍

Comment

Reg isnt that the same as me moving the pump centre towards dor? But with a bit more control.

Comment

Yep the same but with one end locked up you only move one thing and not worry about t'other slipping unknown. Plus if you marked the flywheel you can visually see how much you have advanced the timing, the change for a given movement is less as you are working on on a large diameter geared down so it's a fine adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by Thebigredone View Post
                  Lovely cheers mate I'll have a crack at that the weekend 👍

I would advise not trying to tighten pulley bolts up relying on the locking pin to hold. Seen many pump damaged like this. Counter hold the centre 19mm nut whilst you nip up the pulley bolts

Comment

Cheers for the advice Reg, much appreciated 👍

Comment

Working...
                    X