No announcement yet.

Old Hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll start with a trial fit of the ABL sump on the AEB cylinder block, it wont stay on as even if it fits i'll have to make an oil return inlet on it from the turbo.

Comment

• I thought you were putting it in the doka. Or are you going to turbo it

Comment

• It was plans change, it'll go on the road as a 2.4d. Looking into VR6 from a Mark 3 golf.The only question mark is the box.Its been done before in a shortnose but i havent looked round one. I do love a challenge me.

Comment

• If you have to empty a fuel tank simplest way is take the return off the filter drop in a can and idle the motor till it drained. We run S49 round till it was on the red but still got two and a half gallons out of the thing. As it drew air it ran lumpy and gradually slowed down, it ran like that for a fair while. It got a bit emotional Molly said "ahh look it dont want to die". I said its not going to die, its having a heart and lung transplant. It will return. Is there a doctor in the house? Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4926.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	736.4 KB
ID:	336355

Comment

• Got far more done today than i expected.... Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4928.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	728.8 KB
ID:	336357

Comment

• I didnt think we'd had the cross member off before but if i'm not mistaken theres traces of red oxide on the corners... Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4927.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	692.0 KB
ID:	336359

Comment

• I said on the Doka thread that Northeners had no standards, keeping their wiring looms in a Morrisons bag. Well those of us from the west of England are no better we keep ours in Tesco bags. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4930.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	671.3 KB
ID:	336361

Comment

• Nice work Si , I’ve been banned from the workshop until the new year , I’m slitting here thinking what I could be and should be doing , don’t get me wrong I appreciate the time I’m having off but we’ve all got to have an hour or two tinker time too keep us sane .

Comment

• Thats why i've got this in bits up the side the house,if it goes wrong i can bail indoors and regroup.Learning all the time. I hope to explain a lot of the wiring as i go as that always seems to be glossed over when folk do motor swaps. I can leave the cooling fan wiring along the front alone and keep the ABL alternator and loom in place, starter to i think. So its becoming clear'r.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                      I didnt think we'd had the cross member off before but if i'm not mistaken theres traces of red oxide on the corners... Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4927.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	692.0 KB
ID:	336359
                      All those circular/oval holes on the rear face just let the water in, as do the many holes on the top face.

And it will benefit from a sprinkling of new drainage holes adding? It's a poor design.

Comment

• I've seen worse. It'll get pressure washed and pumped full of cavity wax. Be fine.

Comment

• When VW came up with these exhaust springs they must of had a twat on loan from British Leyland. Well i can wave by by to them with a Si Spanner bespoke exhaust front pipe. Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN4931.JPG Views:	0 Size:	818.2 KB ID:	336398

Comment

• Its out. I wobbled it out on a trolley jack. A "mate" borrowed my draper engine crane and it came back with a fooked ram. Knew i should have bought a 1960's Snap On one. I'll hang the motor back in on the jack and wobble the box in after like i did back in April. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4933.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	724.5 KB
ID:	336400Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4932.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	694.9 KB
ID:	336401

Comment

• Pressure wash the engine bay tomorrow then split the box and motor. Then i'll remove the pas bracket and driveshaft trumpet,flywheel and clutch then think about getting it in and throw some bits on it.

Comment

• Send me the ram Si , I can repair it for you

Comment

Working...
                                X