No announcement yet.

My 2003 T4 Camper Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

an amazing thread, every admiration for your endeavours, thou shalt go to heaven

Comment

Hi Guys

Not been on for a while, had a busy few months with the van, change of jobs and a lot of hassle with a van engine. So to update:

Once camper jam was over with, on the journey to and from the show we noticed a lack of power and boost from the van, didn't really have the umphff it had before and was really struggling to pull away i.e no power and lots of black thick smoke. So nursed it home and then decided to whip the engine out for winter as i noticed there was an increase from beginning of the journey to camperjam to the time we got her home of oil in the sump or what we thought was oil and have a full strip and rebuild/refresh, which was our first plan to see what condition the van internals were in as so many different people worked on my engine i couldn't get a straight answer. Upon stripping the engine noting all component orientation we found i had 2 cylinders which had broken piston rings. So engine was bagged and taken to the local engineers who checked everything and this was their outcome.

1 upon inspection of the cylinder head they found that the valve guides were out of tolerance and the seals were k.o'd so the valves weren't sealing properly (something which i had previously paid to have checked turned out hadn't been checked).

2 injectors are not injecting correctly and not atomising sufficiently as there was a severe build up of coke inside the swirl chambers in the pistons and the sides of the pistons which means the engine is not sufficiently burning.

3 upon inspection and geometry checking of the block they found a big issue. That was that the engine has had a heat seizure at some point in its life and has been forced onwards with created a slight twist in the block enough to allow piston rings not to seal correctly. The result of this was that all cylinders would require a re-bore, new pistons, rings all custom to fit into the new machined block. That would have cost around 2.5 k. so collected everything back form them with a 300 quid surcharge for looking and then hunted for a new engine and after a few weeks of searching bought an engine complete from a gentleman down south for 650 quid.

with recent events putting a downer on everything i expected to be in the same predicament as before and i was quite surprised when i started to strip that engine to check everything was present and there were no issues. a few little things needed attention but not a lot and after stripping then engine to the cylinder head the decision was made the van would be off the rod tillsummenr next year so start fresh with the new engine and build a good strong engine to get rid of all the issues. after taking the cylinder head off, we were amazed tofind this engine has already been crosshatched (honed) has new rings and what look to be new pistons, the galleries in the block you could drink clean water from, they are still shiny fresh metal and there s no corrosion on the block at all. so started the rebuild after checking the main bearings etc for condition. and here re the results so far. i haven't worked on the van in under 2 months (which has driven me mad as insufficient funds whilst changing jobs) so she will wait until march to continue the build but here's the results so far and some pics of the outside of the van.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0091-1024x576.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	258045Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0720-1512x2688.jpg
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	258046Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0730-1512x2688.jpg
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	258047Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0741-1512x2688.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	258048Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0743-2150x1209.jpg
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	258049

Name:	IMG-20161027-WA0000.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	258050Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20161027-WA0001.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	258051Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20161027-WA0002.jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	258052Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20161027-WA0003.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	258053

So after all this work of returning the engine back to standard 88 and soon tobe intercooler, hopefully next summer she will be reliable, finished and be able to take anywhere without any hiccups for a while. Alos a new addition to the vw collective is this, my new polo beats to use whils the vans off the road.

Name:	WP_20161202_004.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	258044

thanks for all the replies and iterests guys. Josh
      Last edited by joshua241996; 26 December 2016, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Engine looks good mate. Glad your sticking with it. Hopefully meet you at some shows next year [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

[QUOTE=Jonnybigballs85;8970]Engine looks good mate. Glad your sticking with it. Hopefully meet you at some shows next year [emoji1303]

Hi mate, definitely would be nice to put a name to a face 👍

Comment

Hi all, just thought to say i sold the old girl last july due to covid, finances and also building a lwb 2014 sprinter

Comment

Working...
            X