Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    joshua241996's Avatar Now you're learning (Copper)
    Thanks

My 2003 T4 Camper Conversion

Hi guys

I was asked some time back to transfer my thread to here from the t4 forum by Dan. I will add the dates of the posts to show when and what work was carried out.

To begin, from information i was given from the previous owner, the van began life as a showroom van which was registered to run parts from one vw dealers to another as they never had there own van. It was driven to the designated dealers and that's where it stayed with just 11 miles on the clock until the first public owner purchased the van. Him and his wife ,who are lovely people and good friends, then owned the van for 10 years until the day i purchased her as he wanted to upgrade to a t5 as the van had been involved in a incident which resulted in the n/s cab door, sill step, fuel filler cap and 1/4 of the slider below the fuel cap being crushed to within a inch of its life thanks to a bollard in London lol . I then purchased the van thanks to my dad (Superstitch from Mid England Retrims) securing the deal in 2013 with 265,000 miles on the clock and many spares and accessories.

So less talking and more pics

09/02/13

Thanks to my dad superstitch and a very good friend ofhis i have been able to buy a 2003 vw t4 2.5tdi in red. It needs abit of bodywork and mechanical attention but thanks to the previousowner i dont need to worry as all the repair panels have been supplied within the cost of the van.

Plans are for a full camper conversion and maybe a respray, once i can afford it. So here she is

And then after a good wash

T:

Thanks
    10/2/13

Well itching to start working on it this morning before i go off to college this afternoon for a week i decided to clean the cab area and also remove the carpet lined panels out of the rear of the van.

Thanks
    16/02/13

Been a busy day today, removed cab mat, seats, and the rear floor ready for iinsulation and a raised floor. Also heated the bumpers up to bring them back to black and cleaned all the dash and glovebox.

May be installing a sliding window and a solid window this month. T:

Thanks
    08/03/13

Windows arrived today thanks to leisure windows 10/10 for service and quality. Cant wait to get them fitted. And the van now has new steels aswell thanks to a very kind forum member who delivered them for me and it has a new set of heater controls waiting to be fitted. Josh T:

09/03/13

Windows came yesterday thanks to leisure windows, very impressed.

20/03/13

New bumpers came yesterday, they will now be stored until I am ready to put the van on the road, the van should be going to the mechanics soon to have the head gasket sorted and a few other bits and pieces as me and my dad haven't got the tine or space to do it ourselves, and then the bodywork will be sorted after that. We should see some progress soonT: H:

05/04/13

Been a while since I last posted but the van has now been booked in for head gasket etc either this weekend or next, I'm collecting a tailgate tomorrow for it of a 95 van which will need a little modification, got myself a few tailgate bits hinges strut mountings etc off a helpful forum member and then Il be able to start the bodywork.

Thanks
    06/04/13

Been to collect my tailgate this morning, was told it was removed from a 95 van but has the later hinges on it, could this be from the change over period? Anyway it has 1 crease in the lower panel and has no lock but no major issues apaet from that.

20/04/13

First i removed the grill and facier

Then i removed and plugged/blanked off the power steering hoses that run in front and mount onto the radiator.

Then i removed the front bumper

Then removed the headlights and indicators as i have a electrical problem that i need to sort out.

21/04/13

Found a few break outs of rust on the front end so spent the morning putting 2 coats of black hammerite on to tidy it up abit and treat the rust.
    Before

After

ALSO doesanybody know how to remove the rear bumper, ive taken the torx screws out of both arches and the 4 underneath but there are a couple under the lip of the doors at the rear which i cant figure out how to get out. Any help would be grateful.

Thanks for looking josh T:

12/05/13

Well bit of an update, been to see the mechanic and discuss a few things, he going to remove the engine and gearbox to sort the head gasket, cambelt glow plugs etc. Whilst the engi es out hes going to steam clean the engine for me and the engine bay and also once i have the corre t gears the 5th gear upgrade. Also the van is going to have new ball joints etc. So once this is complete the van should be mechanically sound and ready for the interior to beconverted and the bodyworkto be done.

Thanks
    15/06/13

Due to the mechanic being extremely busy and overbooked these last few weeks and un able to start work on my van, he offered me the use of his tools and the space outside his unit to start the removal of my drive shafts ready for the engine to and gearbox to come out to have the head gasket and cambelt done. so I took the offer and removed the 2 driveshafts. had an issue with the brake disc bolt so had to remove the hed and now have to drill the hubs and retapp them.

parts I found I needed were
    2 top ball joints
    2 bottom ball joints
    2 drop links
    2 shocks
    2 wheel bearings
    2 tie rods
    2 track rod ends
    new discs all the way round

and as a precaution and ease of work im going to replace the driveshafts whilst it is all apart and at ease of access.
    here are pics

thanks for looking
    Josh

24/06/13

bit of an update, placed my wheels by the van today to see what they will look like and so far I like them. what do you think. they are hand painted at the minute but they will be powdercoated in the same colurs and design.

thanks for looking
    josh

28/06/13

Well after my dad spoke to the mechanic about the work to be carried out on the van, he removed the engine. I only knew tonight as it was kept a secret.
    Here are pics

01/07/13

Been and had a little spend this morning bought everything to do a complete service such as power steering fluid, gearbox oil. Brake fluid engine oil air filter, cabin filter, oil filter fuel filter and whilst i was in there bought 2 5" FLI speakers for my door pockets and 2 6X9 FLI speakers.

02/07/13

Been to collect my filters today before my surgery so now have hem, which will aid the repair and rebuild of my engine. T:

07/07/13
    Been nice and warm this weekend and quite unhappy as i couldnt work on my van because of my surgery.

28/07/13

Well thanks to a friend on friday my engine has now been stripped and ready for the head to be sent off the turbo to be rebuilt and the head gasket to be done. The mechanic was unavailable and was ill so had to get somebody else to strip it for me. Anyway with that strippe i degreased my engine bits etc and painted my brake pad carriers up. Glad somethings been done with it now. Shouldnt be long until i get her back on her wheels and then back to my dads unit to start the bodywork.

30/07/13

My head has just come back from the skimmers and look s mint well chuffed now.

10/08/13

More pics to show now, been tosee the mechanic today and had a look at my cylinder head. Its mint, its been, pressure tested, crack tested, de swarfed, skimmed, had the valves ground in, dipped, polished and then sprayed witha protective heat resistant aluminuim coating. Its also had to have new cylinderhead bolts and new hydraulic lifters as mine had began to crack. Time to let the pics talk now

Thanks
    07/09/13

Well a bit of an update, been to see the mechanic yesterday to see how my engine was coming along and this is what i found, a 75% rebuilt engine majority cleaned, all timed, all most ready to go back in the van. It is going to be steam cleaned have a new auxillary belt idler, and also have the dual mass flywheel changed to a single mass.

25/09/13

Quick update engine is nearly rebuilt, rocker cover gasket abd rocker cover are back on, bearings are done discs abd tie rods have been ordered, drive shafts have arrived abd are ready to fit. Shouldn't be long now

29/09/13

Engine is going in this week, suspension will be rebuilt including new drop links, tie rods, track rod ends, discs, pads, drifeshafts, so hopefully she will be back on her wheels ready for when i come home from college for the weekend next weekend. Cannot wait.T:H:

20/10/13

Bought some new seats for my van friday from a place in cheshire, land rover freelander 2 2011 paid 200 when i whent to collect them the guy who sold them to me told me i should have paid double that but he priced them up wrong and was in the managers bad books lol LOL:T:

10/11/13

Cheers sat in them when I went off roading with my previous college and they are really comfy. Also I wanted to be a little different with the choice of front seats. Whilst im here a bit of an update the engine has Bern put back in on Wednesday and the engine and engine bay have cleaned up really well. The mechanics just got to sort the wiring and the ensure the pump timing is correct and the van runs as it should and then I can have her back then. Can't wait.IIt's then going in my dads unit to have bodywork and mods done.

Thanks for comments and looking

30/11/13

Time for and update, been over to the mechanic and i virtually rebuilt the drivers side suspension, fitted new drive shaft, new top and bottom ball joints, new bearings and all i have left to do is the bolt throught the shock to the drop links and the torsion bar then onto the otherside. She finally goes back together.

14/12/13

Been over to the mechanics today and fitted new brake discs and pads and put it back on its wheels finally. Here are some pics.

29/12/13

Finally got my van back after 10 months of it being sat outside the mechanics across the yard. She runs and sounds ace with no exhaust but needs a new starter and a few minor things but she runs all thanks to a good friend. Time to start the rebuild and conversion now.

30/12/13

Well i built most of my front end today like radiator re routed wiring etc with my dads mate, started it upmand found that it leaks from the camshaft at both ends and squirts oil out onto both timing belts due to the mechanic not changing the cam seals when the head was apart. Dont have a clue why he didnt change them. Not happy as a lot of u can understand but at least i know of a place to steer away from now especially considering aswell that the fuel pump was baggy and moving about on its mountings. Life lesson learned i think.

31/12/13

New starter motor came today and my dads mate removed the rocker cover and timing gears tofind that the cam seals are leaking and allowing oil to drip down the side of the head and onto the belt tensioners and belt. 2 new seals are on order so that should hopefully solve the issue. Also cleaed the back of the van out and made a hell of a lot of space.

25/01/14
    After scraping and cleaning the van floor last weekend, i painted it this morning in aluminium chassis paint. Looks really tidy now, waiting for it to dry and then probably put another coat on next weekend.
    Heres the pics

08/02/14

Hi guys been very busy today, pulled the front of the van into my dads unit and replaced drivers side anti roll bar bush, droplink and tie rod assemblies, and then me and my dad started dismantling the engine to change the cam seals. A lot more work is involved than we thought but wgen the old seals came out, no retaining springs were present and they were a really loose fit on the cam. Put the new ones in and nice tight fit but they have the retaining springs. Got to tension the cambelt, re assemble the front end and then test, hopefully thats cured it.

A big thank you to my dad superstitch, i couldnt have done it without all those cups of tea you made lolLOL:LOL:LOL:Rasp:Rasp:Rasp:I:I:

Anyway heres pics

09/02/14

Finished rebuilding the engine tonight and the new cam seals have stopped the oil leak thank god, now onto the more fun things interior bodywork etc. A big thanks to my dad aswell superstitch.T:

16/03/14

Not a particularly a happy chap today, bought a new battery, fuel filter and 20 litres of fuel to try and get the van running. Now we set the pump timing last night using a dti gauge and the pump is spot on, along with the cam. Now i changed the fuel filter etc first, filled the new fuel filter before fitting and bled the system. Still no start.

Things we have:

we have compression as the van really wants to start.

We have 12 volts where nessecary

we have no air in the fuel system so and the fuel sprays out the injector pipes when cracked,

we have fuel in the tank.

But still no start. So i plugged a vw code reader in and a fault code came up saying " Coolant Temprature Sensor g62 short circuit or open". After looking on the internet at this faultit appears that the Coolant temprature sensor will cause difficult or non starting if faulty. Also relay 109 came up in discussion on the forums as a common fault to difficult or non starting.

So i took relay 109 out and opened the casing up to check the condition of the windings and switch and it has a burn like smell. So i have ordered a new coolant temprature sensor and a new relay and will now go from there,

but if this doesnt work does anybody with a 2.5tdi ajt have any idea or advice on where to go next, as the mechanic who rebuilt the van isnt interested in helping me and doesnt have a clue on how my van works. My mistake i know but i was told he knew what he was doing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as im struck for ideas.

22/03/14

Hi guys

not been a good few weekends on the van just lately, i changed the fuel filters etc, changed the coolant temp sensor, and fuel relay and the van still wont start at all!!! I have cleaned all fuel pipes and injectors and she still wont fire.

Does anybody have any ideas/ solutions as im struck for ideas and into a 1800 pound engine rebuild and still no gain.

25/03/14

Thanks to a very good friend of mine last night, my van now starts and runs straight off the key. Found out that the marks on my pump pulley are wrong and when we timed it , the timing was delayed by about 6 teeth. My mate then came and set it up and the timing was out by about 6 to 8 teeth. I've now got to mark the pump pulley for future reference but she starts OFF THE KEYT:

that's all i have time to do tonight but will ensure to copy the updates shorlty from way back in 2014 lol

thanks for looking guys.

Josh

JonR6's Avatar You obviously just chat rubbish (Silver)
    Thanks
    Nice looking van... looking forward to reading the rest of the updates!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JonR6 For This Useful Post:

joshua241996 (20th March 2016)

Dan's Avatar Administrator
    Thanks
    Didn't realise it was a 2003 model, going well mate

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan For This Useful Post:

joshua241996 (20th March 2016)

Thanks
    yeah buddy 53 reg, was registered septemeber 03.