No announcement yet.

My camper / swamper / work van build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, about time i got my DRL's on after getting a replacement set because the previous ones were leaking (hope these don't)

Anyway as i remembered from the previous ones, the fit wasn't exactly great and they didn't line up straight as you can see in the first two pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	drl 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	257438

Name:	drl 2.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	257439

I used some of the silver spacers in the picture behind the bottom fixings of the lights to raise them up and bring them inline. The offside needed two on each fixing point and the nearside just the one on each fixing point. Have also put in some slightly longer screws to hold them in there as the original ones were just a bit too short

Name:	drl spacers.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	257440

Well as you can see they are as good as straight now and im pretty happy with the way they sit now.

Name:	drl 3.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	257441

Name:	drl 4.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	257442

Have got some side repeaters coming this week as these DRL's are known to fail mot's for some mot testing stations. It is the 1m behind rule i believe and some testers are more strict than others.

When they are on i will stick up another post (hopefully next weekend)

Comment

Finally found someone selling a bracket for the inside of my sliding door handle

Big thanks to Tim Henchliffe for that

Name:	handle outside.jpg
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	257453Click image for larger version

Name:	handle inside.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	257454

Only problem now is that the door is hitting the seal and wont shut... have ordered a new set of nylon rollers as there is alot of play in the door. Possibly the original door rollers fitted 18 years ago
      Last edited by Bluefrog; 20 April 2016, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Another one now.

As im going for the swamper look (Syncro style for those unsure about swamper) i have decided to get some different mirrors. They are usually found on Syncro's, Doka's and Razorback's.

I found one on ebay (passengers side in fantastic condition) for only £25 and only up the road (40 mile round trip). The originals go upwards of £100 a pair on eBay and there is a damaged set on there now for £83 with 4 days still left. Im on the lookout for the drivers side and may have found something to sort it (wont say what yet but i have a plan, just waiting on some pictures to confirm. I will post about that when its sorted)

Anyway here is the mirror i bought and a picture of it on the van. Looks a little odd with the standard mirror on the driver side at the moment

Name:	mirror 2.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	257456Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror 1.jpg
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	257457Click image for larger version

Name:	van mirror odd.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	257458

Also managed to bag this little thing. Its a cover for where the mirror meets the arm and rare as rocking horse poo ... only paid £8 posted for it and have had a few people message me to ask if i would consider selling it. No chance unfortunately

Name:	mirror spare.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	257455

Comment

Another update, ordered some Heko wind deflectors for the van that came today. Look real nice on the van, wish id got some sooner. Anyone thinking of getting some, the smooth side of the clip against the deflector and the barb part against the rubber Click image for larger version

Name:	wind deflector.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	257459

Recently bought some doka mirrors, 4 in total. Have a right hand one coming from Germany in fantastic condition which havent turned up yet. I bought another 3 blind, 2 rights and 1 left. The two rights are older type one and slightly grey (maybe with age). They are date stamped 1991 & 1995. The other (left) is the newer style with the bigger mirror and cover. Date stamped 1997. Will keep a look out for matching lefts.

Name:	doka spare 1.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	257460Click image for larger version

Name:	doka spare 2.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	257461Click image for larger version

Name:	doka spare 3.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	257462Click image for larger version

Name:	doka spare 4.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	257463

Comment

Not sure if ive mentioned this before, but about a month ago i bought a few bits from a guy 10 miles away. One was a blackout blind that goes on the outside of the van. Hadn't tried it on the van and as we are going camping in the van (another post to come) i thought i would give it a try. Quite impressed with it to be honest. It doesn't block out the light completely, however it does a dam good job.

Name:	Square steels.jpg
ID:	257465

Next is some early T4 steels i bought, guy was selling them on the VW Swampers site and only 25 miles away. Love the look of these with the nearly square type holes compared to the ones i have with lots of round holes. £20 for the four which was a great price. No tyres which suited me as im going to stick AT tyres on them. Am meeting an old friend i havent seen in 16+ years (also into the VW scene) who has another one of these steels for me so i will have a set including a spare. Have asked about for some quotes on getting 5 of them blasted and powder coated. £150 for the 5 of them to be done, £30 a piece seems a good price

Finally i got a set of Doka mirrors on the van now. The one from Germany turned up a few days back and i came home at dinner to fit it especially. Takes some getting used to compared to the standard ones, but i really love the look of them on the van. Need to make some adjustments to them though as the left mirror wont fold in and the right mirror seems to be pointing low (could be that it was on a LHD over in Germany where i got it from), no problem

Name:	Doka right van.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	257466Click image for larger version

Name:	van double doka mirrors.jpg
ID:	257467
            Attached Files

Comment

Not sure if ive mentioned this before, but about a month ago i bought a few bits from a guy 10 miles away. One was a blackout blind that goes on the outside of the van. Hadn't tried it on the van and as we are going camping in the van (another post to come) i thought i would give it a try. Quite impressed with it to be honest. It doesn't block out the light completely, however it does a dam good job.

Name:	Van blind.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	257468

Next is some early T4 steels i bought, guy was selling them on the VW Swampers site and only 25 miles away. Love the look of these with the nearly square type holes compared to the ones i have with lots of round holes. £20 for the four which was a great price. No tyres which suited me as im going to stick AT tyres on them. Am meeting an old friend i havent seen in 16+ years (also into the VW scene) who has another one of these steels for me so i will have a set including a spare. Have asked about for some quotes on getting 5 of them blasted and powder coated. £150 for the 5 of them to be done, £30 a piece seems a good price

Finally i got a set of Doka mirrors on the van now. The one from Germany turned up a few days back and i came home at dinner to fit it especially. Takes some getting used to compared to the standard ones, but i really love the look of them on the van. Need to make some adjustments to them though as the left mirror wont fold in and the right mirror seems to be pointing low (could be that it was on a LHD over in Germany where i got it from), no problem

Name:	Doka right van.jpg
ID:	257466Click image for larger version

Name:	van double doka mirrors.jpg
ID:	257467

Comment

Right, went camping in the van for the first time this weekend. Did Saturday till Sunday morning (after a full english at a pub). Went to the Raddle Inn in Staffordshire. Met up with a mate from school who i havent seen for about 15 years. Spoken to him through facebook though. He is a mechanic and has a T25 devon 1981 and a T4 1994 i think.

Anyway, me the mrs and dog took the van up to meet him and his friends. There were 2 x T25's, 5 x T4's & a lonely T5.

I managed to get a piece of carpet a bit wider but 2 inches short and cut that to fit so we had something comfortable to stand on rather than a dirty ply floor. I had a customer of mine cut the legs for me on the ikea sofa bed so i could raise them to get over the arches (few blocks of wood, bolts and brackets sorted that.

Name:	bed and carpet.jpg
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	257469

Being our first camp, we learnt alot. The van needs alot more insulation than just the silver foil i fitted a few months back. Im going to fit some recycled plastic bottle insulation which is recommended as it doesnt retain water. Had a couple of issues regarding condensation inside and obviously the cold (mrs doesnt cope well with the cold)

Anyway today ive been a lucky bloke, on my facebook news feed came up a diesel heater, used and untested for £40. Not too far away so contacted the guy straight away about it. He was heading my way later in the morning so rather than a 90 mile round trip it turned into a 30 mile trip.

Hooked it up to a battery and a jerry can of diesel and it started working. Only had it on for a few mins and was blowing cold, so will have to see if it needs a clean out and a new plug. The mrs is happy that we will have heating next time were out

Comment

Got the diesel heater out yesterday as i knocked off work early. Managed to get it up and running and blowing hot. Think it was an air lock so the fuel wasnt getting to the glow plug. Anyway im going to get a new case as the one it is in is looking a bit battered, that taken into account its still WAY cheaper than a new one.

Name:	deisel heater.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	257471

Next up is the roof rack ive designed and had made for me. The guy sent me these pictures over last night, its all tacked up ready to be welded up this weekend. He just wanted me to confirm it was right before he welded it up. Its been designed to hold a ladder on either side (being a work van) and high enough for me to have the spare wheel and other storage on there if i need to. Pick it up next month when i go to visit the inlaws

Name:	new roof rack 1.jpg
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	257472Click image for larger version

Name:	new roof rack 2.jpg
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	257473Click image for larger version

Name:	new roof rack 3.jpg
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	257474Click image for larger version

Name:	new roof rack 4.jpg
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	257475

Comment

Got forced into a hedge yesterday by a car that wouldnt move over in the lanes while out working. Luckily only the glass smashed on my Doka mirror, however same as now im not a happy bunny

Name:	doka smashed.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	257484

Got home to put my standard mirrors on as i dont have any replacement glass for them at the min. I decided to go out and buy a DashCam from Halfords. Have hard wired it into the van so it records even when the van is just sitting there. Nicely tucked away behind the rear view mirror. Am going to cover the stickers forward facing on it to conceal its location a little more

Name:	dash cam hidden.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	257481

Name:	dash cam in.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	257482

Name:	dash cam out.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	257483

Comment

It is with a heavy heart I have to end this build thread.

Days (and I mean a couple of days) away from really sinking my teeth into her I had some good news.

This meant I could get another van pre converted with minimal things to do. I'll add a new build thread but it won't be a long one

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Bluefrog View Post
                        It is with a heavy heart I have to end this build thread.

Days (and I mean a couple of days) away from really sinking my teeth into her I had some good news.

This meant I could get another van pre converted with minimal things to do. I'll add a new build thread but it won't be a long one

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                        Sounds cool, what will you be getting?

Can I ask if you know the manufacturer of the blackout blind?

Comment

Shame as it was coming along nicely but well done on newer purchase [emoji106]

Comment

You have done a lot of grafting on this motor Bluefrog. It's a pity you won't get to finish it but if another opportunity comes along then you have to grab it. Can't wait to see your next project.

Comment

Working...
                            X