My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    T off of the side port feed to the top port with an inline one-way valve on the top port but leave the n75 connected for control. Too much boost will lift the head.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s
    You're way too cautious. It'll be full boost to the top port and that's it. My right foot will control the boost. Not that it will actually make any extra.

Comment

• Top port is vacuum operated in the Volvo applying some pressure to it is just to keep it sealed and matched to the side port flow Park the bravado and save damaging the seal.

Comment

Top port is vacuum operated in the Volvo applying some pressure to it is just to keep it sealed and matched to the side port flow Park the bravado and save damaging the seal.

Surely if the seal can cope with boost on one side and vacuum on the other than it should cope with just boost?

I need a way of holding the wastegate firmly closed - not that I think it's that for one second.

Injectors on standby....

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
          Surely if the seal can cope with boost on one side and vacuum on the other than it should cope with just boost?

I need a way of holding the wastegate firmly closed - not that I think it's that for one second.

Injectors on standby....
          Try it. The pressure will at least keep it closed.

I've never had the problem you're experiencing but we did with Colins AJT. We ended up changing the wastegate valve then all was fine and has remained so.

The v2 Map you're now running is IDENTICAL to Colin01332's map where I emailed you the logrun - meeting the boost targets , meeting the fueling (with Stanadynes) etc. , stick the 0.24's in and you'll be over-fuelling, over running and still not making boost!

Comment

• What was up with colin's valve?

It's not easy to change my wastegate - because the turbo is clocked one bolt is completely obscured until the hot and cold sides are removed.

I'm just doubting the turbo as the old one did the same - too much of a coincidence?

If the injectors just aren't flowing what they should, it doesn't matter what the pump and ECU are trying to do, and as they are so unbalanced that can't be helping either?

Why will it overfuel with bigger injectors - for a given voltage on the IQ the pump will deliver the same volume of fuel regardless of injector size?

Comment

What was up with colin's valve?

It's not easy to change my wastegate - because the turbo is clocked one bolt is completely obscured until the hot and cold sides are removed.

I'm just doubting the turbo as the old one did the same - too much of a coincidence?

If the injectors just aren't flowing what they should, it doesn't matter what the pump and ECU are trying to do, and as they are so unbalanced that can't be helping either?

Why will it overfuel with bigger injectors - for a given voltage on the IQ the pump will deliver the same volume of fuel regardless of injector size?
              Injectors
              The fuel delivery is controlled by several maps only one of which sets the the pump IQ voltage, there are a further 10 that control the fuel delivery timing across the available injection window. v2 already puts more fuel in compared to v1.Plus there are a ton of other inputs the ECU is balancing in the computations. Your last readings on the 5 injectors looked fine to me. I'll email you my K24 logrun with 0.23's fitted. It's not too dissimilar to your own run.....

Turbo
              Your old turbo was only producing 3 psi?

Yep, I know how awkward fitting the Volvo exhaust manifold and turbo are. Hence why I made up the adaptor plates! You should gea badge for keeping the AJT inlet as it's a pita with it fitted. Easier with the Volvo inlet.

With Colins we proved the turbo was good and making boost by fitting an MBC, we had it running at 21psi using the side port. The open top port spring and diaphragm only offered about 10 psi preload resistance. I'm wondering if he has my valve from one of my experimental builds..... I opened one up and fitted 2 springs into the housing..... need to check inventory.

Try an MBC Reg prove it's making the raw boost.

Comment

• Managed to get onto my own van this afternoon....
                I spent good money on my K24 hybrid - machining out the housing, upgrading the bearings, balancing the larger shaft, turbine and compressor designed to hit 300bhp on the housing of the T4 K14.
                Got a few AJT manifolds so I ported one of them and opened the exit up to improve the flow.
                Fitted it last week but only had a couple of short hops around the city, it felt very strong but kept going into limp mode! So lots of restarts.
                Did a logrun this morning no errors other than the low boost and like you I'm now only low boosting (1.4bar), revs to 5k quickly without problem and three digit mph.

No problem theres always a set-up period where you balance the actuator pre-load and N75 mapping.
                A few hours later its now running 1.7bar pulling strong but still tripping into limp mode as the boost target is 2.3bar.
                Its dry here today so hood up and stripped the lot out checking all the inlet pipework, cleaned the K&N cone, boost pipework etc. all good.
                Checked the compressor wheel play and it spins for several seconds. Rebuilt and went for another logrun, no real change 1.8 bar.
                Pulled over and reset the ECU after a limp, changed the logging channels to 1,3 and 11, and have a guess what..... the temp was climbing then suddenly changed to -32, -20 , -16 for about 6 seconds before resuming its steady climb to 89.1. Pulled over and checked the error log and its not registered the coolant temp error.
                New temp sensor ordered. Try again over the weekend.

Might be worth you making a few runs looking at the other sensor channels Reg?
                Last edited by Activ8; 6 April 2018, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• My van still goes like fuck
                  Jebem ti nanu u trulu sisu

Comment

• Damn - just wrote a massive reply to this and the sodding page just closed on me and wouldn't restore. Grrrrrr

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post

Might be worth you making a few runs looking at the other sensor channels Reg?
                    Good shout - will do.

Injectors
                    The fuel delivery is controlled by several maps only one of which sets the the pump IQ voltage, there are a further 10 that control the fuel delivery timing across the available injection window. v2 already puts more fuel in compared to v1.Plus there are a ton of other inputs the ECU is balancing in the computations. Your last readings on the 5 injectors looked fine to me. I'll email you my K24 logrun with 0.23's fitted. It's not too dissimilar to your own run.....
                    The IQ voltage is key - doesn't matter if it's set by one or a billion maps - it equates to throttle pedal position in a TD

In fact it does the same thing - the pump internals are very similar, just the method of translating throttle pedal input to the pump differ.

Take a pump with a 10mm pump head....

Say the IQ or throttle cable set the spill collar to give a 2mm piston travel....

That gives PI x 25 x 2 = 0157 cc of fuel delivered every stroke of the pump piston

Surely injector size makes no difference to the volume, you can just deliver it quicker?

IQ voltage should be directly proportional to the volume of diesel delivered by the pump BUT the volume of diesel delivered by the pump can be much more than the volume delivered by the injector - this depends on the state of the injector and is the reason to have leakdown pipes.

Because a big injector can deliver at a greater rate, there's more chance of delivering the pumps delivered volume completely

Besides I still have the stana white smoke syndrome - atomisation is all to cock and I bet the breaking pressures are too, which is why my 5 pot is rough as a badgers.

Turbo
                    Your old turbo was only producing 3 psi?
                    No, for years my old turbo did exactly what the current one does, made about 10 psi - 13 if you removed the N75 signal and stopped the wastegate from opening.

It did 3 psi when it was dying.

Yep, I know how awkward fitting the Volvo exhaust manifold and turbo are. Hence why I made up the adaptor plates! You should gea badge for keeping the AJT inlet as it's a pita with it fitted. Easier with the Volvo inlet.
                    Yep - should have fitted it on an adaptor to bring it up a few inches. New exhaust manifold required.

With Colins we proved the turbo was good and making boost by fitting an MBC, we had it running at 21psi using the side port. The open top port spring and diaphragm only offered about 10 psi preload resistance. I'm wondering if he has my valve from one of my experimental builds..... I opened one up and fitted 2 springs into the housing..... need to check inventory.

Try an MBC Reg prove it's making the raw boost.
                    I don't get how an MBC will change anything - I have the wastegate unconnected, it's as shut as it could possibly be, without using positive pressure on the top port to shut it harder.

The only thing an MBC would offer is a safety limit - and if you think I need that at 13 psi peak I'll fit one.

Top port is capped off now.

With Colins we proved the turbo was good and making boost by fitting an MBC, we had it running at 21psi using the side port.
                    I thought his wastegate was leaking???? Confused now, how would you cure a leaky wastegate by removing the boost signal - unless the spring was weak and the N75 always sends a small signal to the actuator.
                    Regardless - it's not sending bugger all to my actuator at the moment.
                    Last edited by regcheeseman; 6 April 2018, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• Chinesium turbot san?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T04E-T3-T...YAAOSwGhhZ5Eou

T3/T4 hybrid, 2 years warranty, brand new, £100 delivered.

Comment

• I agree with everything written above Reg.
                        So, you just need to fit the injectors?

I cannot exactly recall what we did and the process we followed with Colins original lack of boost and wastegate. He's in France at the mo I'll check when he's back.
                        I'm sure the side port is open and the top port controls the valve on a second chamber. I'll take a look over the weekend.
                        Yes the top vacuum port wasn't sealing and leaked boost, yes the wastegate was cleaned and swapped out, the top port is now capped and it now runs on the N75 alone using the side port and easily makes 2.3 bar boost.

Comment

Chinesium turbot san?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T04E-T3-T...YAAOSwGhhZ5Eou

T3/T4 hybrid, 2 years warranty, brand new, £100 delivered.
                          The problem with these units is they're rough and its size. On a standard exhaust manifold the compressor housing will foul the inlet and they're very wide with a 2.5" DP fitting.
                          Whereas fitting a GT23V is 8cm narrower than the K14 with a long housing neck that lifts it clear of the inlet manifold (with adaptor plate) so you can fit a 3" DP.

Comment

I agree with everything written above Reg.
                            So, you just need to fit the injectors?
                            I appreciate what you are trying to do with the stanas - and know that they can deliver the goods but I'm sure mine have other issues, not with making power but with clean running generally - I could try and rebuild them but with £300 worth of rebuilt injectors sat on my shelf it really is a no-brainer.

where does the needle lift injector go? Three or four?

I'm sure the side port is open and the top port controls the valve on a second chamber. I'll take a look over the weekend.
                            Your talking about the actuator right not the N75????

The N75 supplies pulse width modulated boost pressure on the side port to open the wastegate right? I'm guessing in the volvo application negative pressure is applied to the other side of the actuator diaphragm to also open the wastegate?

My N75 is plumbed to the side port on the actuator - you've got me doubting myself now.

Comment

I appreciate what you are trying to do with the stanas - and know that they can deliver the goods but I'm sure mine have other issues, not with making power but with clean running generally - I could try and rebuild them but with £300 worth of rebuilt injectors sat on my shelf it really is a no-brainer.
                              I've never seen a set of Stanadynes fail to date. They've always cleaned and balanced up and ran sweet - but theres always a first I suppose.
                              Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                              where does the needle lift injector go? Three or four?
                              AJT is Cylinder 4.
                              Your talking about the actuator right not the N75????
                              Yes the turbo actuator / wastegate valve.
                              The N75 supplies pulse width modulated boost pressure on the side port to open the wastegate right? I'm guessing in the volvo application negative pressure is applied to the other side of the actuator diaphragm to also open the wastegate?
                              Nope the side port is a small open port, you can blow air through unrestricted.
                              The top port on the Volvo is vacuum operated. Its got a twin chamber with the top port controlling the valve and larger chamber.
                              If I get time over the weekend I'll strip one and send you the pics.

Comment

• You haven't got a cat on it have you Reg? That could be blocked up too

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X