No announcement yet.

My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been itching to get the new turbo cartridge fitted but I've avoided it all week as I know I've really not got enough time to do it in an evening and I'd probably need the van next day.

However, with no work tomorrow I set about it.

I've been running through the job in my head all week and had it down to a 10 minute job.

Problem is when I popped the bonnet earlier I remembered how inaccessible it is.

Ended up having to remove the intake manifold which I hadn't bargained on but I had oiled the old thread and they span out easy once cracked the first half a turn.

Sizing up the job I decided it would probably be easier to leave he cast section of the turbo attached and rebuild it in situ, with the cold side removed it became obvious that the stiff assembly had freed up like I hoped it might when I originally fitted it. It now spins just as well as the unit Activ has supplied.

Sort of good news but also bad news as the lack of airflow and boost must lie elsewhere.

With the spare wastegate actuator fitting now blanked off I now have to rebuild it all again.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
      Been itching to get the new turbo cartridge fitted but I've avoided it all week as I know I've really not got enough time to do it in an evening and I'd probably need the van next day.

However, with no work tomorrow I set about it.

I've been running through the job in my head all week and had it down to a 10 minute job.

Problem is when I popped the bonnet earlier I remembered how inaccessible it is.

Ended up having to remove the intake manifold which I hadn't bargained on but I had oiled the old thread and they span out easy once cracked the first half a turn.

Sizing up the job I decided it would probably be easier to leave he cast section of the turbo attached and rebuild it in situ, with the cold side removed it became obvious that the stiff assembly had freed up like I hoped it might when I originally fitted it. It now spins just as well as the unit Activ has supplied.

Sort of good news but also bad news as the lack of airflow and boost must lie elsewhere.

With the spare wastegate actuator fitting now blanked off I now have to rebuild it all again.
      Bad news Reg[emoji848][emoji53]

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Before you refit it all pull the actuator off and make sure it's sealing correctly.

I'm in the same boat myself at the mo! Barely making 1.7bar, still drives quick with K24 hybrid tho.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by rjhoy02 View Post
          Bad news Reg
          Nah - just a potential problem eliminated - I'm running out of options now though.

It's either....

pump

back box restricted

those injectors I keep getting talked out of swapping out.....
          Last edited by regcheeseman; 29 March 2018, 11:32 PM.

Comment

• Just fit the injectors reg, they're sat there, throw em in, it'll either sort it or not, at least you'll know [emoji106]

Sell my T4 !!! I'd rather stick wasps up my butt.

Comment

• It's not the fuelling - injectors or pump. But yeh - throw a set of larger nozzles in that 'll increase the air flow and pressure - ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                It's not the fuelling - injectors or pump. But yeh - throw a set of larger nozzles in that 'll increase the air flow and pressure - ...

In that case, what is it?

Comment

• Shall I send the cartridge back again, no use to me

Comment

Shall I send the cartridge back again, no use to me
                    Yes please send it back.

Comment

In that case, what is it?
                      Check the actuator.

Comment

• Activ...I don't want to sound like a dick but how will the larger injector nozzles increase air flow mate?

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                          Activ...I don't want to sound like a dick but how will the larger injector nozzles increase air flow mate?
                          Think that was the point Activ was making Si

Comment

• Like I said I don't want to sound like a dick I'll get me coat.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                              Like I said I don't want to sound like a dick I'll get me coat.
                              Taxi for Simon!

Comment

• I apologies for being flippant in my post. (No punn intended for Tommo). Reg shared his last VCDS logrun data with me directly and the fuel was being delivered to the 51mg/s max per the map written. The airflow was down and boost only making 1.68bar against the map requests of 2.2bar. This puts the ECU into limp mode. I also shared with Reg recent logrun data of the same setup on another AJT meeting the mapped targets etc. Maybe Reg could post the data?

Comment

Working...
                                X