• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Their eating children!!"

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      WTF Sausages , what we gonna do when both our vans are finished?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s
      Thats very funny. Had me in tears.
      Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

• WTF Sausages - Is Limp Mode Back?

Comment

• Nope , the Mrs wants a T5!

Comment

• Everything welded up and fitted.

Turbo is definitely passing a fair bit of oil - very black oil, which seems odd as it's just had an oil change.

The turbo seal were fine when it was removed from the car, maybe they've dried out and gone hard?

There's no play in the shaft

I'm wondering if the smaller oil return line is putting too much pressure on the seals?

Also it's not running very well, but there again there's no metering on the intake as its just sucking straight in at the manifold so that should sort itself when it's properly piped up.

Pissed off as I'm getting earache that the van is broken and it's taking so long to fix - now it looks like it's all for nowt. Might just sell the lot and buy an up! on finance.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
              Everything welded up and fitted.
              So the hot side is sorted.
              How is the rest piped up? Just so I understand.

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
              Turbo is definitely passing a fair bit of oil - very black oil, which seems odd as it's just had an oil change.
              Passing oil in what way?
              From where? Compressor housing?

The turbo seal were fine when it was removed from the car, maybe they've dried out and gone hard?
              There's no play in the shaft
              Other than the compressor housing to backplate seal the rest are metal.

I'm wondering if the smaller oil return line is putting too much pressure on the seals?
              What size is the oil return - M12?

Also it's not running very well, but there again there's no metering on the intake as its just sucking straight in at the manifold so that should sort itself when it's properly piped up.
              Stick the intake pipework on with the MAF . Take some video and get some VCDS info.
              Pissed off as I'm getting earache that the van is broken and it's taking so long to fix - now it looks like it's all for nowt. Might just sell the lot and buy an up! on finance.
              She's just f'd off seeing your lycra 'high-lighter' sports wear , less than firm butt cheeks and knees in shorts everyday!

Comment

• Here's a pic of the Volvo oil feed (R) and oil return (L).

Here's a pic of the Volvo oil return (L) and T4 K14 oil return (R).

The bore is much larger on the Volvo return.

Comment

Here's a pic of the Volvo oil return (L) and T4 K14 oil return (R).

The bore is much larger on the Volvo return.
                  Yep I had both of those and both feeds, the volvo return was not even close to fitting

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                  So the hot side is sorted. How is the rest piped up? Just so I understand.
                  It's not. nothing on cold side.

Passing oil in what way? From where? Compressor housing?
                  Blowing out compressor housing as per original photos

Other than the compressor housing to backplate seal the rest are metal.
                  Really - so the NOS K24 that's just down the road from me and on ebay might be worth a punt? It's new but sat on shelf for years, might be 10 prob 20 years.

What size is the oil return - M12?
                  12mm

Stick the intake pipework on with the MAF . Take some video and get some VCDS info.
                  When I get chance, unlikely to be tonight as I have chores to do.

She's just f'd off seeing your lycra 'high-lighter' sports wear , less than firm butt cheeks and knees in shorts everyday!
                  Buns of steel I'll have you know.

Comment

Yep I had both of those and both feeds, the volvo return was not even close to fitting.
                    I sent a pic so everyone who'd read the thread and was considering the upgrade could ensure they got the right pipework.
                    You can use the flange end of the Volvo return and join it to the T4 return using 12mm oil pipe and jubilee clips. Better still is to have a braided hose made up.
                    It's not. nothing on cold side.
                    OK
                    Blowing out compressor housing as per original photos
                    There's an aluminium disc seal that press fits into the backplate that may need changing. It's not a "tight" fit. How much oil? as you might find at temp the heat expansion seals it? These turbos are pretty rudimentary.
                    Really - so the NOS K24 that's just down the road from me and on ebay might be worth a punt? It's new but sat on shelf for years, might be 10 prob 20 years.
                    Some K24's use the smaller K16 oil housing/shaft. Might need a simple strip down but buy it if it's cheap enough.
                    Depends on the original fitment but some K24 compressor wheels, backplates and the compressor housing can be used to upgrade the Volvo unit if it's the correct shaft size.
                    Getting rare too. The original Audi Q's , 911T's used K24's & K26's so can fetch good money. Might be a good upgrade too.
                    12mm
                    Predictive text. What's the ID on your braided hose?
                    When I get chance, unlikely to be tonight as I have chores to do.
                    Yes we're all on the lead at the mo, I'm sure the Mrs is timing me when I head to the freezer in the garage!
                    LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK AND WITHOUT COMMENT FOR COMICAL EFFECT
                    Its give me an idea though...

Last edited by Activ8; 21 December 2017, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Some K24's use the smaller K16 oil housing/shaft. Might need a simple strip down but buy it if it's cheap enough.

What's the ID on your braided hose?
                      12mm.

Did look at the hybrid pipework option, the larger volvo flange brought even more issues with getting the fourth turbo to manifold nut fitted and the mismatched pipe sizes bought even more problems.

Tempted to cut my overpriced braided hose up and bodge on some rubber hose and a few jubblies.

Comment

12mm.
                        Is the braided hose kinked or twisted? 12mm is more than enough.
                        Stay with the braided hose.
                        Did look at the hybrid pipework option, the larger volvo flange brought even more issues with getting the fourth turbo to manifold nut fitted and the mismatched pipe sizes bought even more problems.
                        I binned the Volvo manifold, its just too tight for my patience.
                        The adaptor on the ACV manifold was a lot easier.
                        Tempted to cut my overpriced braided hose up and bodge on some rubber hose and a few jubblies.
                        No, no, no.... unless its leaking at the joints the return's fine.

Are we talking about a lot of oil out of the compressor?
                        How much lateral play is / was there on the turbine shaft?
                        Has the compressor wheel been off?

Comment

• She's just f'd off seeing your lycra 'high-lighter' sports wear , less than firm butt cheeks and knees in shorts everyday!

Click image for larger version

Name:	buns_of_steel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	262358
                          Really?
                          Last edited by Activ8; 21 December 2017, 04:09 PM.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6977[/ATTACH]
                            Really?
                            Attachment dont work for me?

Are you angling for a picture of my sweet cheeks in tight lycra just to prove you wrong?

Is the braided hose kinked or twisted? 12mm is more than enough.
                            Stay with the braided hose.
                            Much like the owner, it's a little kinked and a little twisted.

No, no, no.... unless its leaking at the joints the return's fine.
                            No leaks.

Are we talking about a lot of oil out of the compressor?
                            Some.

Where NONE<SOME<LOTS

How much lateral play is / was there on the turbine shaft?
                            I guess you mean radial play? Nowt.

Turbine was stiff to turn initially but it's freeing up

Has the compressor wheel been off?
                            Nope.

Comment

Attachment dont work for me?
                              Image uploaded again...
                              Are you angling for a picture of my sweet cheeks in tight lycra just to prove you wrong?
                              No need, there's one online - the Sunday peleton activists are targeting your recruitment knowing the vans off the road for a little longer!
                              I guess you mean radial play? Nowt.
                              Where NONE<SOME<LOTS
                              Yeh, thats the fellar & Axial Play?
                              Turbine was stiff to turn initially but it's freeing up
                              Just wonder if there's a little dried oil / debris around the compressor backplate bearing,
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	K14&amp;K16BearingKit.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	262359
                              From top left 3rd item in.
                              Last edited by Activ8; 21 December 2017, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• Odd - the last two attachments would show for me earlier, but they do now?

Anway, got home earlier and no one in so I cracked on.

Soon became obvious that the intake pipe wasn't going to fit, the turbo sits about 5" lower than the old one - maybe an adaptor would have been sensible...

I raided my collection of pipes shoved under a shelving unit and then remembered I'd sorted out a load of intercooler pipes and stuff and put them in a box in the loft

An hour later and it's obvious nothing is going to fit, not even a section chopped out of a pre-bent pipe.

The family came home so I went and made tea, well party food for my boy's scouts christmas party and tea for me and the missus; all the while pondering possible solutions.

Chores done and I got back out to the garage just before 11pm - few minutes and I've deduced I need a right angle of silicone, a reducer 2.25" one end and 2" at the other, obviously I'd have to cut down the big end to get the curve in beside the bulkhead.

Problem is, I've not got anything in my stash so I'll have to order one and it'll be ages turning up now.

Then it dawns on me, the intercooler connectors are 90 degree reducers 2.25" - 2"! Even better the intercooler is redundant at the moment so they are spare, and even better than that they are already cut down on the right end, and even betterer than that I need to replace one of the elbows because I need a full length version on there to clear the alternator!

I remove the reducer and it fits straight on, the original intake pipe fits in the other end and it'll mate up to the rest of the pipework, not in its original position but it'll fit.

That's a decent result!

And in other news a package of indicators turned up in my favourite OEM colour, complete with a Christmas card

Cheers mate!

The was also addressed to Sausages as well, so feel free to take a print out of the above picture ya homo.

Comment

Working...
                                X