My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Absolute horse shit, That's motor start current values and that current is delivered through the solenoid contacts.

If there's 10A spike pull in current I'd be very surprised and holding current maybe 2 amps? You do whatever makes you happy, I'll maybe measure a T4 starter solenoid out of curiosity.
    That would be great Reg.

Surely the starter motor draws it's hefty current from the heavy duty feed from the battery once the solenoid has been activated to close the solenoid contacts, the latter being achieved via the solenoid's internal coil feed from the ignition switch? I assume that you are not suggesting in your first sentence that the two circuits are not electrically separate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXKqhFENnQc

The question the MotoGuzzi Forum was asking, was how much current did the solenoid draw in order to do so? I've no reason to doubt that the readings obtained were anything other than competently executed or sincere, but I'd be delighted to hear what you find yourself for sure. Some hard evidence is always welcome.

I understand that Si fits an additional relay as a matter of corporate policy to all his vehicles since his Volvo days - he's not often visiting the Forum at the moment, but hopefully he'll pick-up on this in due course. It will be interesting to see whether he has subsequently suffered from lazy solenoid syndrome, or any ignition switch problems on his T4s?

Comment

• You gonna lift that front any more and which T5+ springs did you fit? T26/28 or T30/32?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
      #vanlife

Comment

• You gonna lift that front any more and which T5+ springs did you fit? T26/28 or T30/32?

You won’t look back once you’ve done it. You can look forward to an utterly sublime comfortable drive over any road surface, farm track or greenlane and never worry about shattering another splitter again. Best thing we ever did lifting the van and sticking balloon tyres on.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim24 View Post

That would be great Reg.

Surely the starter motor draws it's hefty current from the heavy duty feed from the battery once the solenoid has been activated to close the solenoid contacts, the latter being achieved via the solenoid's internal coil feed from the ignition switch? I assume that you are not suggesting in your first sentence that the two circuits are not electrically separate.
          Not sure I'm not not understanding what your not asking a question about?

But yes two circuits are essentially separate much like a relay, which is why your proposal to add a relay to a relay seems a redundant move

Originally posted by Jim24 View Post
          The question the MotoGuzzi Forum was asking, was how much current did the solenoid draw in order to do so? I've no reason to doubt that the readings obtained were anything other than competently executed or sincere, but I'd be delighted to hear what you find yourself for sure. Some hard evidence is always welcome.
          I will guarantee their values are incorrect. Next time I'm in the engine bay I'll remove the main feed to the starter, put a current meter on the red/black solenoid wire and hit the starter button.

Originally posted by Jim24 View Post
          I understand that Si fits an additional relay as a matter of corporate policy to all his vehicles since his Volvo days - he's not often visiting the Forum at the moment, but hopefully he'll pick-up on this in due course. It will be interesting to see whether he has subsequently suffered from lazy solenoid syndrome, or any ignition switch problems on his T4s?
          That's Si though, he is a special case.

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
            You gonna lift that front any more and which T5+ springs did you fit? T26/28 or T30/32?

T32

Front wound up until the CV angles looked a bit dodgy, still on the 17s with 45 profiles so it looks a bit 'tard.

Picked up the banded steels with the fresh set of 235/60 16 Geolander G015s fitted.

Not put them on the van yet, but you are not wrong about the ride, even on the 17s it's great.
            Last edited by regcheeseman; 4 May 2024, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

T32

Front wound up until the CV angles looked a bit dodgy, still on the 17s with 45 profiles so it looks a bit 'tard.

Picked up the banded steels with the fresh set of 235/60 16 Geolander G015s fitted.

Not put them on the van yet, but you are not wrong about the ride, even on the 17s it's great.
              The T30/32’s can be a tad too stiff but when we’re fully loaded they soften up a tad. I was going to throw a set of T26/28’s on but I think I’m going to throw a spare wheel on the tailgate and add another fresh water tank and a small waste one to the rear and then I’ll be glad to have the stiffer ones

#vanlife

Comment

Working...
              X