No announcement yet.

My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That reminds me - I still haven't got round to fitting a relay to WVan's starter motor solenoid.

The feed could be taken from the existing connection on the motor to keep the wiring to a minimum?

Intuitively I reckon a 30Amp fuse should do - what is everyone else using? I've looked online and it seems that the initial current momentarily spikes on initial switching, so it's a case of 'what works in practice'?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim24 View Post
      That reminds me - I still haven't got round to fitting a relay to WVan's starter motor solenoid.

The feed could be taken from the existing connection on the motor to keep the wiring to a minimum?

Intuitively I reckon a 30Amp fuse should do - what is everyone else using? I've looked online and it seems that the initial current momentarily spikes on initial switching, so it's a case of 'what works in practice'?
      Pointless. The solenoid IS a relay.

yes the current spikes, it will with practically any mechanical switch.

Comment

• Eventful drive up to Brighton.

Decided to do a little van maintenance on one of the more popular stretches of the M25

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL-20240413-151027316-MP.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	361623

Front puncture, thankfully near side.

Got to Brighton and whilst the fam were in Asda I decided to ger air in the spare which looked soft but with large cracks and 24 years spoent under a van perishing I decided that too much pressure might not be a great idea.

So to reduce the load I decided to swap the spare front to back, bit tricky with a jack and no axle stand, the rusty wheel was a bit of a bitch to get mounted, didnt want to pull up over the counter bore but I did it and washed up before the missus got back with shopping.

It was only when I tried to move I discovered that the spare was locked solid on the rear caliper. Bollocks.

Swapped them back over, dropped my boy to his digs, and set off home, slowly.

Got back at 2AM this morning.

Today dawned dry and warm, finally the chance to get the clear coat on the wheels that have been sat waiting for dry weather for weeks.

Name:	PXL-20240414-111224678-MP.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	361624

Name:	PXL-20240414-112720968-MP.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	361625

Banded by Damien Force, Epoxy sealed centres to barrels, zinc primed and epoxy mastic black.

Rattle can a mercedes silver and then some 2K clear.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
          Dropped into recycling centre earlier, obviously with no huge pile of crap in van and no garage door on the roofrack because I dont use or drive my van ever...

Came to drive away and was getting click, click, click with key and no start. I changed starter motor with gearbox upgrade last year and ignintion switch few weeks ago and though I sorted it.

Got out, waggled wires, got back in, click, click, click three times then fired up.

I guess it didnt want to leave the dump and felt a natural afinity with the other green skips.

Now short shifting everywhere, cant go over 2300rpm as the clutch gives up, got a 500+ mile round trip up to the land of rainbows tomorrow, that should be fun...

You still got that clutch Activ?
          Yes? Reg.
          Away next Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
            Yes? Reg.
            Away next Sunday.
            And you want to sell it?

Comment

And you want to sell it?
              Sure.
              If you need additional info, you've got my details?

Comment

Pointless. The solenoid IS a relay.........................
                Whether it's a relay or not is surely missing the point?
                '
                Of course it's a relay, but the feed from the infamous ignition switch is not necessarily the optimum it could be - the dreaded 'lost volts' syndrome. That's why I fitted a headlight wiring harness upgrade with it's own relays.

Fitting another relay to the solenoid (a) restores the lost volts, and (b) slows down the deterioration of the ignition switch contacts by reducing the current flowing through it.

That's a Win-Win in my book. I've done it to three other vehicles during my time, and all subsequently proved to be 100% reliable in operation over the long-term - as long as 32 years in one case. With T4 ignition switches having such a lousy reputation, even newly fitted ones, that seems like a no-brainer to me?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim24 View Post

Whether it's a relay or not is surely missing the point?
                  '
                  Of course it's a relay, but the feed from the infamous ignition switch is not necessarily the optimum it could be - the dreaded 'lost volts' syndrome. That's why I fitted a headlight wiring harness upgrade with it's own relays.

Fitting another relay to the solenoid (a) restores the lost volts, and (b) slows down the deterioration of the ignition switch contacts by reducing the current flowing through it.

That's a Win-Win in my book. I've done it to three other vehicles during my time, and all subsequently proved to be 100% reliable in operation over the long-term - as long as 32 years in one case. With T4 ignition switches having such a lousy reputation, even newly fitted ones, that seems like a no-brainer to me?
                  Entirely is the point! you dont need to add a relay because that is the purpose of the starter solenoid.

Lost voltage is no issue to a relay/solenoid pulling a few amps that would probably trigger on a 5v feed anyway - however the headlights where the output is voltage critical and the load is significantly more and thus the volt drop is also more (V=IR) so any contact resistance is multiplied by the expected current to give your volt drop across that contact, also the light circuit has been specced too minimally with the copper content so there's volt drop through the wires.

However, if you want to put a relay onto a relay, go right ahead. I've never had a ign switch fail on starter contact I dont think thats the weak point?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                    Sure.
                    If you need additional info, you've got my details?
                    Pm me to make sure I have correct ones.

Let me know your price as well.

Comment

Entirely is the point! you dont need to add a relay because that is the purpose of the starter solenoid.

Lost voltage is no issue to a relay/solenoid pulling a few amps that would probably trigger on a 5v feed anyway - however the headlights where the output is voltage critical and the load is significantly more and thus the volt drop is also more (V=IR) so any contact resistance is multiplied by the expected current to give your volt drop across that contact, also the light circuit has been specced too minimally with the copper content so there's volt drop through the wires.

However, if you want to put a relay onto a relay, go right ahead. I've never had a ign switch fail on starter contact I dont think thats the weak point?
                      Admittedly these figures are taken from a large sporty 1000cc V Twin with Valeo/Bosch starter motors, but should be in the right ball park for our T4 starters:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/top...-current-draw/

It suggests that the solenoid draws more than just a few amps - it jumps to 50A then drops to around 10A. So I will be fitting a relay.

Comment

Pm me to make sure I have correct ones.

Let me know your price as well.
                        PM Sent .....
                        Last edited by Activ8; 15 April 2024, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• Them pizzas above look ropey as fuck.
                          Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

• It's been a long time since I've seen one without any cheese on...

Comment

Working...
                            X