My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Biff View Post
    It doesn’t but how hard you have the suspension to stopping it nodding down the road will.
    Think the reason people go steel wheels when you are low is that they don’t crack. Not everything is done to be “scene”
    900lb 5” springs crack eventually, shocks there are only 3 options of short shock which you will need for 5’s.
    Sachs are too soft so the only options you have are gmax or gaz. I went gaz which are wound right up to hard & run 1100lb springs & my bus still nods a bit.
    Suspension has no effect on 'nodding' - that's damping. If you have to set it rock solid then that's wrong.

GAZ are awful shocks, useless adjustment range and then they break. Not a lot of options for low lows though.

I'm already on pinks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      Possibly every van in use is load different , the passengers weight to the loads nett and gross carried. Its a compromise from empty to fully laden. Off the shelf solutions for lowered vans is just another factor to chuck-in.

The Sachs HD's are designed for a 50mm drop (?iirc) and to keep the same properties as the standard oem shock. They are great shocks at that sort of ride height. Go lower may just make them as crap as the rest.

I've got adjustable Gaz shortened shocks fitted too, 2/3rds of the adjustment is a waste of the adjustment function as theyre too soft to drive with even on a stripped canvas, which stinks of design compromise or lack of design. Complete waste of money for the real range you actually get.

Faulkner are great to deal with and extremely helpful and will design a spring for you at a cost otherwise the off the shelf ranges need to be matched with your nett and gross loads. Their range is more than enough to meet most van ride height designs. But, its still only as good as the shock fitted. Bilstein B8's (£ ouch) maybe the only shock designed for real "lows" or retro fitting an airride system (£ ouch) to keep your van at scene levels with any load carried.
      The marketing bollocks says the Sachs HD Super Touring are supposed to be stiffer as well as shortened and it certainly feels like they are. The normal Sachs that I believe to be OEM spec that came off were shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
      #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Suspension has no effect on 'nodding' - that's damping. If you have to set it rock solid then that's wrong.

GAZ are awful shocks, useless adjustment range and then they break. Not a lot of options for low lows though.

I'm already on pinks.
        Pinks being the torsion bars? I heard GAZ are shit as they take forever to test and setup then there’s plenty of info about them rusting very quickly.

As far as I’ve read, the Billy B8’s are the best you can possibly fit to a T4 followed by the Sachs HD Super Touring. I think you’ve got these fitted too haven’t you Reg?

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
          the Billy B8’s are the best you can possibly fit to a T4 followed by the Sachs HD Super Touring. I think you’ve got these fitted too haven’t you Reg?
          Yep.

The billsteins aint no better, it's just a lie spread by those who bought them trying to justify the expense.

Impressed with my HDs, not sure what they'll be like run at the limit of travel, might find they go solid.

Comment

Yep.

The billsteins aint no better, it's just a lie spread by those who bought them trying to justify the expense.

Impressed with my HDs, not sure what they'll be like run at the limit of travel, might find they go solid.
            Yeah I imagine they would say that as they’re outrageously expensive. About double what I paid for my HD’s but I did get them on offers and from a German company.

#vanlife

Comment

• Bit of recent history, took it to the dyno/mapper and made 194 bhp on 1 BAR of boost, the turbo had been turned down on the wastegate preload and couldn't make any more, I'd done that to save the ailing clutch that had been replaced before the dyno run. The mapper told me to get the idle sorted and bring it back wit the capacity for 1.2 BAR.

As I drove it after the dyno the gearbox had a bit of a whine I'd not noticed before, went like feck though.

Pump hammered to sort the idle and the boost wound up and it was time to book it back into the dyno, my boy wanted to go surfing with his mate and needed a lift so I gave them an entertaining drive to the beach. By the time I got home again the whine was worse.

Went out to the van later and there's a pool of oil underneath, quick sniff test proved it was gearbox oil, a look under the bonnet revealed nothing but there was what looked like a roller from a roller bearing sat on the exhaust manifold. No way that could have come from the box though, because it was still running and driving, even used it to tow another T4.

Its sat on the drive for a bit while I've been doing other stuff, finally got around to starting on the gearbox replacement with an 02G I bought years ago just in case. First up, drop the undertray and the signs are not good

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20211011-WA0000 (1).jpeg
Views:	324
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	332747

The gearbox casing had no obvious damage and I couldn't see how a bearing had escaped??

Once I pulled the gearbox it was obvious

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20211011-WA0006.jpeg
Views:	327
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	332748

That's the end of the layshaft punched into the bellhousing and the remains of a bearing hanging off the end.

As the motor was loosing a bit of water, plus I had a flowed port matched head and 12.9 cylinder head bolts to fit I decided to pull the head and got a bonus shock, something had been causing merry havoc in pot 3

Click image for larger version  Name:	dancy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	181.0 KB ID:	332640

Decided I needed to build up the repainted block I've had sat on the engine stand to mock up the six speed, so I've been building up the second engine, the head is on with the uprated bolts and a 2 hole gasket, the turbo is back on and I'm waiting for the modified cam and INA lifters to turn up

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211016_205305235.jpg Views:	0 Size:	463.7 KB ID:	332641

My attentions now turned to the AEL intake, I sized it up on the old engine before pulling it apart....good plenum, nice long well radiused runners but the intake on the wrong side

Click image for larger version  Name:	intake2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	248.0 KB ID:	332642

Some strange hose connection and a EGR flange to sort as well....

Click image for larger version  Name:	intake.jpg Views:	0 Size:	280.4 KB ID:	332643
              Last edited by regcheeseman; 20 October 2021, 10:26 PM.

Comment

• The gearbox photos dont seem to show up or is it me? Ooch, that poor piston.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                  The gearbox photos dont seem to show up or is it me? Ooch, that poor piston.
                  I cannot see a couple of the gearbox pics either.

How on Earth did you get something that size into the cylinders? Had you changed the injectors recently?

Comment

• I still can’t believe the head hadn’t got any marks on it.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                      I still can’t believe the head hadn’t got any marks on it.
                      It may have been replaced?

How on Earth did you get something that size into the cylinders? Had you changed the injectors recently?
                      You know full well that I did, what are you insinuating?

I've no idea what it might have been or how it got in there (I'm guessing a similar way that it left again i.e. valve.) but it wouldn't have been dropped in at belt change or I never would have been able turn the engine over by hand to time up the belt.

No idea when the damage happened, I've never had the head off since I've owned it.

Got a spare piston?

Comment

• Nope not insinuating anything, I thought you'd had the head off a few years back.

Sorry no pistons spare. Although I've got 6 crates of an ex-AA van that still needs sorting / prcessing from 2011. Down the unit next week.

Do you need some part numbers for pricing up?

Comment

• If theres no marks on the head it must be old damage perhaps and the head replaced?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                            I've got 6 crates of an ex-AA van that still needs sorting / prcessing from 2011. Down the unit next week.
                            Jesus fucking Christ man.

#vanlife

Comment

• some progress but dead laptop so cant post pictures, this post is useless without pics etc

Comment

some progress but dead laptop so cant post pictures, this post is useless without pics etc
                                Activ has laptop batteries. Lots.
                                Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Working...
                                X