Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
    We all have days like that mate.
    Days? - it's gone on for weeks - totally pissed off.

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    Is the IP wiring on the Volvos EDC correct?
    EDC?

It got the lid and wiring from a vw pump because it had the ACV connector on it originally.

What effect would wiring have on the engines ability to fire/start. The pump was spitting out 5 spurts off diesel per rev - it can only be a timing issue.

Comment

• Checked a Volvo D5252T Rebuild Manual.
      Page info below ;
      0.25 +/- 0.02

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
        Checked a Volvo D5252T Rebuild Manual.
        Page info below ;
        0.25 +/- 0.02
        Thanks, Googled everywhere for the DTI figure and found nothing, the volvo forums are occupied by a loads of useless fecktards who have no clue about anything, they just tippex everything and hope for the best or cut half the timing belt off.

Anyway, checked all the fuses, found one broke, not sure it was even related, unpluged the relay, dunno what happened but the solenoid got power again, still wouldn't prime so I force fed it diesel from a bottle.

Injector lines primed up quick, tightened up the first two unions and it was already trying to fire, tightened up the others and it fired up and settled into a clean idle !

Yay

Turned it off, removed bottle and connected lines back up

Started again and just sat there idling spot on.

Then it just faltered a bit and then died.

After that it just starts an dies like an immo fault - it's not an immo fault

It's not any fault - no codes.

I'll time it back to 25 as the timing might be out of range and the ecu is having a fit and shutting down, strange though because if anything it sounded like the pump was retarded not advanced?

Failing that, I'll put the bottle feed back on....

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Thanks, Googled everywhere for the DTI figure and found nothing, the volvo forums are occupied by a loads of useless fecktards who have no clue about anything, they just tippex everything and hope for the best or cut half the timing belt off.

Anyway, checked all the fuses, found one broke, not sure it was even related, unpluged the relay, dunno what happened but the solenoid got power again, still wouldn't prime so I force fed it diesel from a bottle.

Injector lines primed up quick, tightened up the first two unions and it was already trying to fire, tightened up the others and it fired up and settled into a clean idle !

Yay

Turned it off, removed bottle and connected lines back up

Started again and just sat there idling spot on.

Then it just faltered a bit and then died.

After that it just starts an dies like an immo fault - it's not an immo fault

It's not any fault - no codes.

I'll time it back to 25 as the timing might be out of range and the ecu is having a fit and shutting down, strange though because if anything it sounded like the pump was retarded not advanced?

Failing that, I'll put the bottle feed back on....
          Spec is 0.25? Really wow. We all thought it was the same as the T4?! Makes complete sense though when I consider the fuck up with the early frankenpumps with the mis-matched VW and Volvo head/camplate.

Other than rated pump speed, what are the other differences between the Volvo and VW as they’re both 11mm and both lift to 2.48mm iirc?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
          #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post

Spec is 0.25? Really wow. We all thought it was the same as the T4?! Makes complete sense though when I consider the fuck up with the early frankenpumps with the mis-matched VW and Volvo head/camplate.

Other than rated pump speed, what are the other differences between the Volvo and VW as they’re both 11mm and both lift to 2.48mm iirc?

They dont both lift to 2.48, volvo was around 2.2

Turns our 0.25 was even worse, way too retarded, so reggies ear was far better at tuning than the theory. I'm guessing volvo injector have a much lower break pressure hence the really low pre-lift setting.

I fixed the van...

And learnt something.

I was right Tommy, the 'mod' does have a legitimate justification, I wont waste breathe trying to explain why on here... there's none so blind etc

I dont care for the whys and the wherefores, it bloody works now.

I tried it at 0.25, it ran, obviously way too retarded and then about 40 seconds in, yet again it stumbled and died.

I hooked up a bottle and it was the same

I busted out thor and pushed the IQ to a near max position so it wasn't bouncing on it's stop trying to control the idle, and as expected it fired straight up and tried to rev to the moon, I turned it off on the key and it kept running, sat at about 700rpm idling nicely? turn the ignition on again and it killed it.

Started it up and exactly the same. odd???

Knocked the IQ back again with thor and I have it pretty good, it's hanging up slightly on decel and a bit of lumpy idle for about 5 seconds. At least I can now hook up the PC, get the timing dialled in and then more hammer mod and fine tune it with IQ adaption then back to the mappers to finish the job.

Took it for a quick spin, its proper quick even with no boost on.

And... yes the idle is high in the video because the mapper turned it up trying to get it stable, they'll drop it back down again.

Comment

• I have the exact same problem and my solution will be exactly the same as yours , adjust IQ and carry out the hammer mod to find the happy medium .

The hammer mod makes perfect sense when you understand what the hammer mod is achieving .

Comment

• You could tell Thor had been out, theres an imbalance of cosmic energy around the Country. Why didn't your mapper just remap the QA map for 0.24's?

You lot and your hammer mod!

Comment

Why didn't your mapper just remap the QA map for 0.24's?
                  He tried and couldn't.

It dawned on me the other night what was going on whilst chatting shit with Tommy, I was pretty sure the hammer mod was needed but had to try a few other things before - none of which worked.

The IQ mech was travelling as far as it could to the minimum position but because the new injectors deliver more fuel the idle was still high, the ECU was sensing that the idle speed was too high and using a different method to try and reduce the idle, not sure if it pulses the fuel solenoid or wildly adjusts the timing, whatever it creates very lumpy idle.

Hammer mod allows the spill collar to operate across a different range - this is exactly the same as I see on mech pumps when you turn the fuel up and then have to re-index the spline to get the idle back into range.

Comment

You lot and your hammer mod!
                    You’ll get your head around it one day Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post

You’ll get your head around it one day Rob
                      Lol. Having rebuilt 4 TDI pumps & rewrote the QA map for mine and quite a few others I think I already do Kev. You guys and your hammers. ;-)

Comment

• For those of us who don't know, what the chuff is the hammer mod?

Why do I get the feeling I've just fallen into a trap.
                        Like the time I bought a Matayogi.
                        Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                          For those of us who don't know, what the chuff is the hammer mod?

Why do I get the feeling I've just fallen into a trap.
                          Like the time I bought a Matayogi.
                          Belt it till it works?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

The IQ mech was travelling as far as it could to the minimum position but because the new injectors deliver more fuel the idle was still high, the ECU was sensing that the idle speed was too high and using a different method to try and reduce the idle, not sure if it pulses the fuel solenoid or wildly adjusts the timing, whatever it creates very lumpy idle.
                            Ah so as per our comments on the caveman thread ref the DA/timing device, the pump has to be able to advance the timing at idle so how can it not have pressure to compress the spring and give good cold start characteristics for the pump with case pressure at idle? Answer: it must have pressure and therefore the Tdi DA spring will be soft and I’m over advancing.

Am I right in thinking the electronic switch/solenoid at the bottom of the Tdi pump just bleeds off pressure? So at normal operating temp it’ll be bleeding off pressure to keep the timing somewhere near static/baseline and then at higher revs it’ll then stop bleeding quite so much in accordance with some map or something to advance the timing as it’s needed as pump/engine speed increases?

#vanlife

Comment

Lol. Having rebuilt 4 TDI pumps & rewrote the QA map for mine and quite a few others I think I already do Kev. You guys and your hammers. ;-)
                              Fuck all the silly sensors and other bullshit off and go mTdi, all you need is a hammer then and not a degree in computer sciences and a shitload of spare electrics for roadside repairs.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by fife t4 new View Post
                                Belt it till it works?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Just T4s
                                Is that really it? That's the famous hammer mod? Can't be...
                                Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Working...
                                X