Page 146 of 157 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 1567
    Activ8's Avatar Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,166 Times in 2,551 Posts

In my defence I took the advice of an "expert" at the time (WillI@TidyTransporters) so I was under the influence.
    I was referring to a latterly edited post Tuesday (you removed it) but did refer to the Volvo actuator control as a bodge.
    So it was good enough then ..... watch this space new Avatar in development!
    Many thanks for the motivation.
    Last edited by Activ8; 13th September 2018 at 10:03 AM.

regcheeseman's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
    In my defence I took the advice of an "expert" at the time (WillI@TidyTransporters) so I was under the influence.
    I was referring to a latterly edited post Tuesday (you removed it) but did refer to the Volvo actuator control as a bodge.
    So it was good enough then ..... watch this space new Avatar in development!
    Many thanks for the motivation.
    You're right, I did and I was referring to the use of boost to hold the actuator shut as the bodge - my bodge, you cant have that!

tidytransporters? hmmmm....

Liking the new avatar - what I can see of it.

Think i need to reinstate an old favourite - likewise watch this space.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by regcheeseman View Post
    You're right, I did and I was referring to the use of boost to hold the actuator shut as the bodge - my bodge, you cant have that!

tidytransporters? hmmmm....

Liking the new avatar - what I can see of it.

Think i need to reinstate an old favourite - likewise watch this space.
    Err refer to early threads & when you first fitted the turbo. Capping first then applying boost, so "get orf m'bodges" & now reclaimed!

Yep, Will the "expert" liked it and fitted one to his black & orange wheeled ex-AA - it was extensively discussed.....

It reads "Quality Fuckmuppetry" - I enjoy the irony.

Fuckmuppetry & Bodge Award Winner

Thanks

Paddle is 240mm but can be used on DMF & SMF flywheels. Got dimensions of the SMF fly they sell. Apparently the OEM clutch is Sachs so they reckon with OEM plate 500Nm but 600+Nm with the SRE pressure plate. The 800Nm paddle has 6 paddles and requires gearbox mods.

Thanks
    Paddle is 240mm but can be used on DMF & SMF flywheels. Got dimensions of the SMF fly they sell. Apparently the OEM clutch is Sachs so they reckon with OEM plate 500Nm but 600+Nm with the SRE pressure plate. The 800Nm paddle has 6 paddles and requires gearbox mods.

Good to know - I can fit my old DMF for mocking up the GRF gearbox.Then buy a clutch in due course.

Went for a proper spin tonight - the van is going nice, very nice indeed. The wastegate aint leaking anymore so there's boost lower down and it can match the fuel so the smoke is gone. Revs build better and it doesn't feel as forced when it's revved.

Sure the boost stops dead at 12psi but I can live with that for now as the bottom end of the rev range is stronger and cleaner, making normal driving more enjoyable, short shifting up to 70 it's much quicker.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to regcheeseman For This Useful Post:

Activ8 (13th September 2018)

Thanks

So based upon tonight's drive you suspect the top port was leaking and failing to seal the wastegate valve?

Thanks
    So based upon tonight's drive you suspect the top port was leaking and failing to seal the wastegate valve?

Nope not exactly. The top port was fine.

The wastegate valve was leaking on the housing, the boost pressure was just holding it shut tighter - any small flow through the valve was tending to push it open - much like a plug in a full sink is difficult to unseat, but if you put a hole in it, you can pull it open easy because less differential pressure either side of the plug.

However, in order to hold the valve shut there needs to be boost present, so when just starting to boost there's no 'assist ' and lots of leakage meaning a boost dead spot when picking up from idle.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to regcheeseman For This Useful Post:

Activ8 (14th September 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Nope not exactly. The top port was fine.

The wastegate valve was leaking on the housing, the boost pressure was just holding it shut tighter - any small flow through the valve was tending to push it open - much like a plug in a full sink is difficult to unseat, but if you put a hole in it, you can pull it open easy because less differential pressure either side of the plug.

However, in order to hold the valve shut there needs to be boost present, so when just starting to boost there's no 'assist ' and lots of leakage meaning a boost dead spot when picking up from idle.
    So you've had the wastegate off, ground it back to clean it up? or just swapped it?

Thanks
    So you've had the wastegate off, ground it back to clean it up? or just swapped it?

Yes - when the turbo was off for the oil leak fix.

I was going to lap the seat back into the housing but realised I had nothing to lap it in with. Should have turned up a drill mounted tool to suit and done the job properly whilst I had access.

I went for the half-arsed wire brush in a drill - but it has seemed to work.

The turbo shaft is slopping about a bit so it's days are numbered.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACV_AAB_HeadComparepng.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	10384
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACV_AAB_HeadComparepng1.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	37.2 KB