No announcement yet.

My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They look fantastic plus very very practical, how did you set the braking angle?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Braking angle?

What's a braking angle?

Comment

• Apologies. The clocked angle you set the caliper at?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
          Apologies. The clocked angle you set the caliper at?

I did think that was what you were on about.

Basically the caliper only really fits in one place - even then see how close the allen head mounting bolt is to the hub carrier casting.

I wondered what would happen to braking forces depending where the caliper was mounted, did some googling and found it didn't matter. On a bike, the torque reaction can be used.

The best analogy for me was imagine the hub with a circular mounting plate where the caliper can be mounted anywhere through 360 degrees - the resultant force on the hub is always the same.

Ideally I'd have liked to put the caliper at 2/3 or 9/10 o'clock as that's where they normally are, but mine is down around 7 o'clock. But reading more into it, apparently race car engineers like to run calipers low on the hub to lower c of g - and if it's good enough for the likes of porsche, it do for a van.

Comment

• What Merc did you pull the calipers from? I've looked at the ML brembo 4 pots because they're reasonably cheap but no further on a non-VAG braking upgrade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
              What Merc did you pull the calipers from? I've looked at the ML brembo 4 pots because they're reasonably cheap but no further on a non-VAG braking upgrade.

C class - cheap!

Comment

• Mate turned up today to have his T4 looked at and he brought me a present....

The cover plate thing that goes over the battery ECU area - tidied up my engine bay even more.

He bought it from cali campers, he bought 2, the side cover and a washer bottle and think he paid £30 for the lot. Blooming sensible price not too much scene tax!

Went out to a bonfire party tonight drove the T4 and just love barelling along in it.

Comment

• Made up some small brake lines for my calipers

And fitted

Need new rubber all round, plan is to paint my wheels before getting the new tyres fitted, borrowed some ropey old merc steels from a local scene hero

Dont look too bad, 16'd dont fit in the arch properly, too small; but could work with whack from the lowering stick.

Comment

• Like that. A bit different to when you got it. Hours of work.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Need new rubber all round, plan is to paint my wheels before getting the new tyres fitted, borrowed some ropey old merc steels from a local scene hero
                      For the wheel bolts, radius or tapered? Fitting mine today and have 27mm tapered bolts- just wanted to make sure before I commit! 🤙🏻

Tom

Comment

• Those steels are Audi and they have radius seats. My 16 Merc Vito steels are also radius.

Looks cool, much better than your ropey old alloys
                        Jebem ti nanu u trulu sisu

Comment

• Sirfbum, just offer the bolt into the wheel, you'll see a small gap around the head if it isn't seating properly
                          Jebem ti nanu u trulu sisu

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Sausages View Post
                            Sirfbum, just offer the bolt into the wheel, you'll see a small gap around the head if it isn't seating properly
                            Yeah, will do- just being super lazy saving myself the walk to the garage with a bolt [emoji23]

Tom

Comment

Sirfbum, just offer the bolt into the wheel, you'll see a small gap around the head if it isn't seating properly
                              Well that’s bloody annoying. Looks like they are Radius. Now where to find a set of black radius bolts on a Sunday....

Tom

Comment

Looks cool, much better than your ropey old alloys

I don't need to look cool - the more you know, the less you need to show

So after a bit of a cry about not being cool, I decided to clean my bland dullsville audi 5 spokes up.

Then I coated then in some paramose (think nitromors before the tree huggers made it dolphin friendly) and hit them with the pressure washer

Another cupole of coats of paramose and blasting and they now look like this.

Now I don't know if I want to focus the cleaning a bit more and bring the polished faces back up or just continue with the original orange paint plan...

While I have the wheels of I thought I'd best test them over the new brakes , and eyeing the two items up side by side didn't look good.

Thankfully the wheels fit over just perfect...

Don't think 16s would fit, it might be pretty damn tight, nothing with much dish either as the back of the spokes run pretty close.

Yes Dave - about 10mm!
                                Last edited by regcheeseman; 19 November 2017, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X