My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheers.

The electronic actuators have a built in safety range irrelevant of the map signal to it or voltage controlling it. On the two I played with the range was 8 - 88% (if I recall correctly) so the actuator would never fully open or fully close the vanes.

Staying mechanical has its benefits.

Sent you the physical head bolt specs earlier this year.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s
    Last edited by Activ8; 12 September 2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      Cheers.

The electronic actuators have a built in safety range irrelevant of the map signal to it or voltage controlling it. On the two I played with the range was 8 - 88% (if I recall correctly) so the actuator would never fully open or fully close the vanes.
      Just adjust the linkage to operate over -8% - 112% range?

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
        Just adjust the linkage to operate over -8% - 112% range?
        Played with the linkage but the vanes kept jamming up on the bench when I got it wrong, so had to keep stripping it to try again. Ball ache and at the time patience was low.

How come you had to weld your VNT up (historical thread) could you not get the range of movement required?

Comment

Played with the linkage but the vanes kept jamming up on the bench when I got it wrong, so had to keep stripping it to try again. Ball ache and at the time patience was low.

How come you had to weld your VNT up (historical thread) could you not get the range of movement required?

Not welded up - just fixed in position.

Because the servo motor wasn't fast enough to respond or I thought it wasn't

I was getting problems with too much manifold pressure holding valves open and suspected he turbo, it wasn't that but then I got bored and someone offered me a bundle of cash for the car.

Oh yeah - drove the van earlier - 11psi.

Still it goes fine and will save the clutch.

And borrowed a sewing machine from the mother in law...

The old camo covers that I made for my roof rack had had it, so I bought some heavy grey canvas - could be green I can never tell.

My missus bought me some proper covers for fathers day that didn't fit so I made some myself.

Missus got a refund and I got fuck all - just like the previous three years worth of father's days. ......oh and birthdays and christmas', at least my parent turned up with a card 14 days late, they couldn't manage to actually apologise or wish me happy birthday though.
          Last edited by regcheeseman; 12 September 2018, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah - drove the van earlier - 11psi.

Still it goes fine and will save the clutch.

And borrowed a sewing machine from the mother in law...

The old camo covers that I made for my roof rack had had it, so I bought some heavy grey canvas - could be green I can never tell.

My missus bought me some proper covers for fathers day that didn't fit so I made some myself.

Missus got a refund and I got fuck all - just like the previous three years worth of father's days. ......oh and birthdays and christmas', at least my parent turned up with a card 14 days late, they couldn't manage to actually apologise or wish me happy birthday though.
            Does it go into limp mode at 11psi? And it saves oil now!!

Comment

Does it go into limp mode at 11psi? And it saves oil now!!
              It was only a short run to the shops, didn't limp.

Daylight will tell how much oil it used.

Comment

• Do you still want me to send you a spare Volvo actuator for modifying?

That 240mm paddle clutch plate is designed for a 240mm SACHS SMF (520Nm) , and its not the 800Nm DMF jobby, so not as fierce a bite according to SACHS.
                Physically Its certainly NOT 240mm in diameter across the paddles, (not measured or compared it yet) so I'm thinking it could work on a 228mm SMF flywheel (I know its sort of more fuckmuppetry and a bodge) but it could save a lot of pennys with the GRF/HRD gearbox!

Comment

Do you still want me to send you a spare Volvo actuator for modifying?

That 240mm paddle clutch plate is designed for a 240mm SACHS SMF (520Nm) , and its not the 800Nm DMF jobby, so not as fierce a bite according to SACHS.
                  Physically Its certainly NOT 240mm in diameter across the paddles, (not measured or compared it yet) so I'm thinking it could work on a 228mm SMF flywheel (I know its sort of more fuckmuppetry and a bodge) but it could save a lot of pennys with the GRF/HRD gearbox!
                  Yes - send the actuator. A adjustable preload will just have the effect of shifting the N75 map up depending on how much preload is dialled in so adds an element of good old old school tuning.

How can a 240mm clutch not be 240mm?

It should work on a 228 DMF flywheel as well then?

What pressure plate though - surely it's torque rating (and snatch prone-ness)will depend on the pressure plate used.

I'd suggest that my pressure plate isn't up to much torque wise - regardless of the friction plate used.

Comment

• OK, will do.

I'll measure the plate tomorrow and compare to the others I've got. It just looked smaller than 240mm.

Fuckmuppetry & Bodge Award Winner

Comment

• [QUOTE=Activ8;111949Fuckmuppetry & Bodge Award Winner[/QUOTE]

Whoa hang on! the former I'll go with (you did cut a massive hole in a structural element of your vehicle), you can't have the latter award (yet) as we are yet to witness any Bits Of Damn Good Engineering from your stable.

As an idea of the calibre required.....

rubber gloves holding boost pipes tighter
                      lumps of wood used as bump stops, cable tied to chassis rails in the wickes car park.
                      oil bottles fashioned as water/petrol separators in the engine bay - why fix a hole in the petrol tank filler neck that is letting in road water when you can rig up some sort of incendiary device in the engine bay with a litre or so of petrol sloshing around in a old plastic bottle?

Comment

• In my defence I took the advice of an "expert" at the time (WillI@TidyTransporters) so I was under the influence.
                        I was referring to a latterly edited post Tuesday (you removed it) but did refer to the Volvo actuator control as a bodge.
                        So it was good enough then ..... watch this space new Avatar in development!
                        Many thanks for the motivation.
                        Last edited by Activ8; 13 September 2018, 10:03 AM.

Comment

In my defence I took the advice of an "expert" at the time (WillI@TidyTransporters) so I was under the influence.
                          I was referring to a latterly edited post Tuesday (you removed it) but did refer to the Volvo actuator control as a bodge.
                          So it was good enough then ..... watch this space new Avatar in development!
                          Many thanks for the motivation.
                          You're right, I did and I was referring to the use of boost to hold the actuator shut as the bodge - my bodge, you cant have that!

tidytransporters? hmmmm....

Liking the new avatar - what I can see of it.

Think i need to reinstate an old favourite - likewise watch this space.

Comment

You're right, I did and I was referring to the use of boost to hold the actuator shut as the bodge - my bodge, you cant have that!

tidytransporters? hmmmm....

Liking the new avatar - what I can see of it.

Think i need to reinstate an old favourite - likewise watch this space.
                            Err refer to early threads & when you first fitted the turbo. Capping first then applying boost, so "get orf m'bodges" & now reclaimed!

Yep, Will the "expert" liked it and fitted one to his black & orange wheeled ex-AA - it was extensively discussed.....

It reads "Quality Fuckmuppetry" - I enjoy the irony.

Comment

• Paddle is 240mm but can be used on DMF & SMF flywheels. Got dimensions of the SMF fly they sell. Apparently the OEM clutch is Sachs so they reckon with OEM plate 500Nm but 600+Nm with the SRE pressure plate. The 800Nm paddle has 6 paddles and requires gearbox mods.

Comment

Paddle is 240mm but can be used on DMF & SMF flywheels. Got dimensions of the SMF fly they sell. Apparently the OEM clutch is Sachs so they reckon with OEM plate 500Nm but 600+Nm with the SRE pressure plate. The 800Nm paddle has 6 paddles and requires gearbox mods.

Good to know - I can fit my old DMF for mocking up the GRF gearbox.Then buy a clutch in due course.

Went for a proper spin tonight - the van is going nice, very nice indeed. The wastegate aint leaking anymore so there's boost lower down and it can match the fuel so the smoke is gone. Revs build better and it doesn't feel as forced when it's revved.

Sure the boost stops dead at 12psi but I can live with that for now as the bottom end of the rev range is stronger and cleaner, making normal driving more enjoyable, short shifting up to 70 it's much quicker.

Comment

Working...
                                X