My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is looking really good.

Isn't the floor carpet a fire risk whilst your welding and grinding away in the garage? Add the oil soaking over time and your adding to the risk?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      It is looking really good.

Isn't the floor carpet a fire risk whilst your welding and grinding away in the garage? Add the oil soaking over time and your adding to the risk?
      Over and above the gas canisters, petrol cans, aerosols etc etc?

The new carpet is definitely cheap in comparison to the wool based one I had previously - it doesn't like being showered with grinder sparks and melts far too readily.

Comment

• Cut the bracing section for the bottom edge of the seat frames and cleaned the fresh paint off prior to welding

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191107_201516[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	268569

Then welded into place

Name:	IMG_20191107_202007[1].jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	268570

Both braces welded in, paint was re-applied

Name:	IMG_20191107_205730[1].jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	268571

Comment

• Really nice welding there Reg, as a non-welder you can see that lovely rippley bead and flow, would the ambient temps / moisture aid "getting it right"?

So, why 4x4 swamper styling?
          Are you going the full hog with externally mounted spare, front under tray armour?

And thanks, I needed this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
            Really nice welding there Reg, as a non-welder you can see that lovely rippley bead and flow, would the ambient temps / moisture aid "getting it right"?

So, why 4x4 swamper styling?
            Are you going the full hog with externally mounted spare, front under tray armour?

And thanks, I needed this.
            Putting heat in the work would aid welding (and spraying) but not to any great extent, welding 3mm thick fresh steel is easy to get right.

Why swamper? Always liked jacked up vehicles, probably because of small man syndrome.

Just fancy a change, big tyres will push the gear ratios up, the comfort will be better, and I can crash potholes and kerbs without worrying.

Not full hog - No bull bar as I've always been worried about the risk to pedestrians but they look cool. May add a ladder and side bars

Changing back will be no biggy.

Comment

• Some of you might have seen my efforts to fit the rear seat belt reel onto the bracket that was already there and thread to accept the reel - long story short it took me about an hour to fit the reel with it's single bolt.

So now to fit the top mounting, which originally starts with nothing more than a plain hole in the C pillar and you have to get a backing plate and nut located first to take the bolt to mount the fitting.

But, I wasn't happy with the standard set up, sits too low and its just too OEM, I do OEM+

I had a set of the adjustable front mountings from the van I scrapped a while ago,

Name:	Seatbelts (6).jpg
Views:	377
Size:	478.8 KB
ID:	281675

eyeing them up, they fit but possibly a bit proud, so plan A was to cut a slot in the C pillar and weld them in place. I sat on that idea for a day or two and the time came today to cut into my van and I had second thoughts about chopping into such an important structural member.

Plan B was to drill some holes and fit rivnuts but they are never particularly strong...

Plan C was to drill bigger holes, drop some flanged nuts in and weld them in place, holes were drilled, the top two holes are new the lower one is the factory position for the seat belt mount. you can also see the lines I drew for cutting the slot.

Name:	Seatbelts (4).jpg
Views:	388
Size:	632.2 KB
ID:	281676

It was when I had these holes drilled I had a great idea, first get a strip of steel, drill it, weld some nuts on and give it a coat of paint which looks a bit blobby in the pic

Name:	Seatbelts (1).jpg
Views:	356
Size:	619.8 KB
ID:	281677

Then I got a weight on a bit of sprare welding wire and dropped it down the pillar, having first removed that sodding seat belt reel first (while it was out I ran the sub cables through from the back of the van) - then remove the weight and fit the bracket onto the wire.

Name:	Seatbelts (3).jpg
Views:	350
Size:	833.2 KB
ID:	281678

Thankfully it pulled up without snagging and with a brief fiddle I caught a bolt in one of the bracket's nuts

Name:	Seatbelts (5).jpg
Views:	345
Size:	556.0 KB
ID:	281679

Now I could remove the wire and bolt up the bracket

Name:	Seatbelts (7).jpg
Views:	358
Size:	594.3 KB
ID:	281680

And then make good with the trimming carpet and the original plastic cover, it needs a mod to fit perfect but sits pretty good as it is - happy with that.

Name:	Seatbelts (8).jpg
Views:	344
Size:	619.0 KB
ID:	281681
              And before it was too late, I remembered to run the flat speaker cable across the van floor, I'd cut little recesses out of the floor ply before the rails were fitted properly so the cable runs under very neatly - the devil is in the detail!

Name:	Seatbelts (2).jpg
Views:	343
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	281682
              Last edited by regcheeseman; 23 November 2019, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• I cannot see any pics in the last post, this is what I'm seeing on my Android App.

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-tempid":"temp_12564_1574458929885_390","title":"Se atbelts (2).jpg"}[/ATTACH][IMG=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/just-t4s.co.uk\/core\/image\/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP\/\/\/wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw=="}[/IMG]​

Comment

• Nop, no pictures.

Comment

• Fine on my lapdog, not via phone, I'll try again later

Comment

• Online with my laptop and browser , all I can see are broken image link thumbnails for all of the uploads in the seatbelt post.
                      Last edited by Activ8; 23 November 2019, 07:59 PM.

Comment

• Me too on my phone

Sent from the Midlands by pigeon

Comment

• Are they there now

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                            Are they there now
                            Yep. All good - thanks.

Comment

• The X's on the floor are for a row of bolts that go into a box section chassis rail - I could go through the whole box or just not fit the bolts, think I'll go for the latter.

The ticks are actually L's to indicate low points in the rail that cause the seats to jam on the rails, I'll loosen the bolts and pack spacers under the rails.

Comment

• Can now see the pictures Reg, cheers.

Comment

Working...
                                X