My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robbie#t4 View Post
    [emoji15][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] peeping toms!
    Reg you should start charging them for watching!

Loving the orange! What were the callipers from? And what size disc are you going to use?

Calipers are merc brembo four pots from a big old c class, plenty about and cheap.

The idea was to get them to fit with the standard alhambra/galaxy vr6 upgrade discs that everyone uses but there's no way with later T4 hubs so I've just gone for bigger audi a8 discs - 345mm I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
      Calipers are merc brembo four pots from a big old c class, plenty about and cheap.

The idea was to get them to fit with the standard alhambra/galaxy vr6 upgrade discs that everyone uses but there's no way with later T4 hubs so I've just gone for bigger audi a8 discs - 345mm I think.
      Ah nice, cheers! Will be watching to see how these progress!
      You may be asked about making some more brackets if its an easy task to fit them! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Ah nice, cheers! Will be watching to see how these progress!
        You may be asked about making some more brackets if its an easy task to fit them! [emoji16]

You can ask - you wont get.

The idea was to make a bolt on kit - but the discs are too thick and need 1mm taking off each face meaning it's not a simple bolt on job.

If you can find some 345 ish diameter discs with a 112x5 mounting and max thickness of 28mm then I may be able to help.

Comment

You can ask - you wont get.

The idea was to make a bolt on kit - but the discs are too thick and need 1mm taking off each face meaning it's not a simple bolt on job.

If you can find some 345 ish diameter discs with a 112x5 mounting and max thickness of 28mm then I may be able to help.
          Could you not machine 1mm off the face with a lathe?

Comment

Could you not machine 1mm off the face with a lathe?

that's the plan, having to call in a favour though as there's no way the disc will fit in my lathe.

Comment

that's the plan, having to call in a favour though as there's no way the disc will fit in my lathe.
              Think you'd be at min. thickness if you skim a couple of mm off? There's a brembo mercedes fit 330x28.1mm available which are good value. Will post a link shortly!

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Flea bay item# 311589966383 pic shows dimensions too!

Comment

• Call me an old fart but I like the old solid discs on my 1.9.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                    Think you'd be at min. thickness if you skim a couple of mm off? There's a brembo mercedes fit 330x28.1mm available which are good value. Will post a link shortly!

Is the merc disc bell big enough to clear the vw hub and is the offset right?

Either way 330 is too small, the caliper needs to be kept away from the hub carrier so that bolts can fit.

Min thickness? no - I'll machine off the 28mm min thickness marks as well

It'll still have thicker walls than the original discs

S49 - you're an old fart

Comment

• Sounds like you've got this covered! But worth checking the eBay advert as the dims were all listed.

Comment

Sounds like you've got this covered! But worth checking the eBay advert as the dims were all listed.

The 330 is just too small - the bolt heads in the adaptor foul the hub mountings - unless I start turning down bolt heads or countersink the bolts, but then the two threads are quite close and I doubt the strength as a result. Plus I cannot find M12 x 1.5 pitch countersunk bolts in a high tensile.

I should really ditch the calipers and run something else and a different disc but I've bought 2 sets of discs and 2 sets of calipers so far and am such a stubborn git I'm determined to make something work.

I'm a little worried that the 10mm ally (6082 T6) plate wont be up to the job....

Comment

• What's the piston area of the 4 pots... greater than the T4's 57mm piston? If so, won't you need to upgrade the master cylinder? Or practice pumping the brake pedal like f*ck.

What's the worst that can happen if your T6 plate don't hold.... erm ... you'll die...

Comment

What's the piston area of the 4 pots... greater than the T4's 57mm piston? If so, won't you need to upgrade the master cylinder? Or practice pumping the brake pedal like f*ck.

What's the worst that can happen if your T6 plate don't hold.... erm ... you'll die...

Piston area is much larger I'd have thought because there's more of them but the donor has the same size master cylinder

I'll die and probably wipe out a bus queue full of orphans, cute puppies and dolphins in the process.

Comment

• What is it with dolphins on this site? Everybody wants to kill them.
                              Somebody wanted to shoot them not so long ago.
                              Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

• Advisory on last MOT for brake lines, so I replaced them today

Goodridge SVW1002-6P-OR

6 line kit in orange.

Brakes are transformed, you normally have to recalibrate your right foot if you jump out of a modern car but at least now there's less of a difference, action is far more solid.

Comment

Working...
                                X