Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    What size is the valve Reg?

Could you use a TIAL style V-band clamp to reseal the actuator housing? Changing the spring would be useful upping it to 1 bar would claim a lot of the N75 map back for rebuilding the housing for bigger boost builds.

So what's the plan? Remove the top port and replace it with a welded nut?

Paid £7 for a v band - it doesn't fit, the thickness of the joined section is not enough for the shape of the vee to seal effectively - yeah I could mess around for ages and get something 80% ok, but is there any point?

Now we know what is inside you can perform the mod to all your actuators and make them adjustable.

All you do is unscrew the air fitting and replace with an M5 x 40+mm fully threaded bolt, ideally a cap head not a hex but I didn't have one. The more you wind it in the greater the preload on the closing spring. Once set you just lock it off with the nut.

There's no need to cut another actuator apart, one was sacrificed for the greater good.

I managed to fit the bolt into mine earlier with everything in situ - tricky but I did it. I've got about 15mm of preload on the spring, you'll need a lot to open that wastegate!

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
      Paid £7 for a v band - it doesn't fit, the thickness of the joined section is not enough for the shape of the vee to seal effectively - yeah I could mess around for ages and get something 80% ok, but is there any point?

Now we know what is inside you can perform the mod to all your actuators and make them adjustable.

All you do is unscrew the air fitting and replace with an M5 x 40+mm fully threaded bolt, ideally a cap head not a hex but I didn't have one. The more you wind it in the greater the preload on the closing spring. Once set you just lock it off with the nut.

There's no need to cut another actuator apart, one was sacrificed for the greater good.

I managed to fit the bolt into mine earlier with everything in situ - tricky but I did it. I've got about 15mm of preload on the spring, you'll need a lot to open that wastegate!
      Don't go all "Barry" Reg, you know too much preload and you're loosing the mapped boost control, possibly more limping too. Too much boost and it's "less-car-can-go" [emoji6] and more cooking those passengers of yours!

I'll get mine out tomorrow.

Save the parts, they might come in handy.

Comment

• As the wastegate opens before boost target is met, could it be there is a mismatch between what the ECU believes is required to open the 'gate and how much the gate opens as a result of a given signal? - The extra preload just restores the balance but it will need some fine tuning to make sure the preload is adequate but not too much.

Comment

• The 'ECU' believes....? [emoji102]
          There's a broad range of targets across the rpm range plus allowances for gear changes when the rpm falls away. Like you state have a play with the best preload and do a log run then I can tweak the boost map to suit.
          Last edited by Activ8; 19 August 2019, 02:45 PM.

Comment

The 'ECU' believes....? [emoji102]
            There's a broad range of targets across the rpm range plus allowances for gear changes when the rpm falls away. Like you state have a play with the best preload and do a log run then I can tweak the boost map to suit.
            I'm trying to rationalise how the wastegate responds to the N75 signal sent by the ECU, i.e could it be that the ECU thinks that the wastegate will open 50% with a 50% PWM signal but because of a mechanical parts mismatch the wastegate opens 75%???

Whatever, the -20% map has killed the smoke, lost the constant limp mode trip point (hopefully) and unfortunately killed the sub 2000rpm torque (OBVS) - however boost is now up 10psi and there's some decent power if you rev it.

It's going very nicely at the moment. dunno if I'll get the chiller back on before action - cant see anything wrong with it, probably needs a pressure test.

Comment

I'm trying to rationalise how the wastegate responds to the N75 signal sent by the ECU, i.e could it be that the ECU thinks that the wastegate will open 50% with a 50% PWM signal but because of a mechanical parts mismatch the wastegate opens 75%???

Whatever, the -20% map has killed the smoke, lost the constant limp mode trip point (hopefully) and unfortunately killed the sub 2000rpm torque (OBVS) - however boost is now up 10psi and there's some decent power if you rev it.

It's going very nicely at the moment. dunno if I'll get the chiller back on before action - cant see anything wrong with it, probably needs a pressure test.
              You would have to look at the duty cycle on a run. Request vs Actual boost. Measuring Block 11.

With the current preload what boost are you seeing on the gauge at 1500, 2000 & 2500 rpm?

Standard spring was 9-10psi iirc, so the -20% map should max out at 15.2psi ish, with your preload the ECU is not really controlling a lot within that boost window.
              Last edited by Activ8; 20 August 2019, 07:41 AM.

Comment

• Brembo discs and pads fitted. £67 from Euro for the lot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190820_201245[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	268061

While they were off, I cleaned and polished wheels front and back then coated them in poorboys.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190820_201236[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	268062

Was hoping to impress Activ with the bling at Action.

Comment

• Dragged out of the £15 toolbox thread to save the 'normals'

Originally posted by Activ8
                  how was the long drive to Santa Pod with the actuator mod?
                  Been meaning to PM or email you about this very issue....

It was holding 25 psi on the gauge, the pipes stayed on and we were flying up and down the M5 at (ahem) mph, not much came past on the journey home

Obviously the fuel wasn't there to make clutch killing power as I'm on the -20% map

However the off-boost coast 2200 rpm limp is still there- something odd going on. I think the fault code is a red herring, it just throws up the nearest report to the actual problem, could be a blip in the matrix?

But this EXCITING thread about tools should not be spoiled by such banter, JoT4 will only stop reading it - I'll post up on my build thread because only you or I only dares go there anymore as it's turned into a two man nerd-off.

Comment

Dragged out of the £15 toolbox thread to save the 'normals'
                    You're considerably over boosting at 25psi , thats well outside of compressors map and over spooling the turbo. Cannot recall the compressor wheel sizes but I know we peaked that wheel at 22-23psi at 1800-2000rpm and then backed it off to 18 in the mid 4's. Back your actuator screw off.

I set (iirc) the turbo maps to 1 bar (15psi) max IQ fuelling would not of been touched, but I'd change and raise the AFR.
                    Last edited by Activ8; 6 September 2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

You're considerably over boosting at 25psi , thats well outside of compressors map and over spooling the turbo. Cannot recall the compressor wheel sizes but I know we peaked that wheel at 22-23psi at 1800-2000rpm and then backed it off to 18 in the mid 4's. Back your actuator screw off.

I set (iirc) the turbo maps to 1 bar (15psi) max IQ fuelling would not of been touched, but I'd change and raise the AFR.
                      None of that is causing the limp mode.

I rarely go WOT on the van, the boost peak seen was a one-off experiment to see where it was at, I control boost with my right foot in normal driving, but I will back off the preload.

I set (iirc) the turbo maps to 1 bar (15psi) max IQ fuelling would not of been touched, but I'd change and raise the AFR
                      Does this comment relate to the -20% map???

You dropped the boost map 20% ????

Comment

None of that is causing the limp mode.

I rarely go WOT on the van, the boost peak seen was a one-off experiment to see where it was at, I control boost with my right foot in normal driving, but I will back off the preload.

Does this comment relate to the -20% map???

You dropped the boost map 20% ????
                        It is. The maps are controlling boost relative to the throttle position and fuel IQ.
                        If you're 300millibar under or over the set boost limits 3x the ECU throws a limp mode at any point in the rpm.

As I've stated before. We would need a few logs to see what's happening. What's it recording as a fault - high or low boost pressure? I doubt it's boosted air temps but that's another as you raise the psi.

The fuelling is weakened off and the boost reduced from 19 psi limit to 15psi. So the bhp and torque are both reduced until you sort out a new clutch.

What do you think it is if not the ECU protection?
                        Last edited by Activ8; 6 September 2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

It is. The maps are controlling boost relative to the throttle position and fuel IQ.
                          If you're 300millibar under or over the set boost limits 3x the ECU throws a limp mode at any point in the rpm.

As I've stated before. We would need a few logs to see what's happening. What's it recording as a fault - high or low boost pressure? I doubt it's boosted air temps but that's another as you raise the psi.

The fuelling is weakened off and the boost reduced from 19 psi limit to 15psi. So the bhp and torque are both reduced until you sort out a new clutch.

What do you think it is if not the ECU protection?

Obvs the ECU is throwing up a code, I'm not sure how the ECU is interpretting data and throwing up a code. Almost like theres a bit of odd data somewhere, is it possible that the wrong bit of data is in the wrong map because software has identified the map slightly wrong?

It limps when I'm off the throttle entirely or just starting to press the pedal - possible 5% ? surely there's next to nowt boost present then?

The limp trigger point is very specific to a rev range, which is why I suspect a rogue bit somewhere - I'll try to log it....

If the limit is 15psi and I was holding 15 - 20 at some points on the way home - why no limp? surely 15psi + 300mbar = 19.4 psi, should have been triggered?

edit, thought about this on the ride home and it could be taken that I'm blaming the code, I'm not, I do realise it could just as well be a mechanical component chucking up an odd signal - it's just the rev dependant thing is really odd symptom
                          Last edited by regcheeseman; 6 September 2019, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Obvs the ECU is throwing up a code, I'm not sure how the ECU is interpretting data and throwing up a code. Almost like theres a bit of odd data somewhere, is it possible that the wrong bit of data is in the wrong map because software has identified the map slightly wrong?

It limps when I'm off the throttle entirely or just starting to press the pedal - possible 5% ? surely there's next to nowt boost present then?

The limp trigger point is very specific to a rev range, which is why I suspect a rogue bit somewhere - I'll try to log it....

If the limit is 15psi and I was holding 15 - 20 at some points on the way home - why no limp? surely 15psi + 300mbar = 19.4 psi, should have been triggered?

edit, thought about this on the ride home and it could be taken that I'm blaming the code, I'm not, I do realise it could just as well be a mechanical component chucking up an odd signal - it's just the rev dependant thing is really odd symptom
                            Read the code that at least will narrow it down - a lot.

With the 2.5bar MAP sensor if the maps are within the 300-400mbar of the mapped Z axis, limp tolerances don't trigger - it's only at lower revs where the boost falls within the MAP sensors range.

Could possibly be the N75 duty cycle too if it's not controlling the boost. Logrun would help, obvs.

It could be an electrical glitch as it could be the map & the mapper.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman
                              A PR?

It was fine, I wasn't even pushing it - didn't even get the stench of burning oil I normally get on an enthusiastic run.

25 psi was seen once on a gentle incline just to see what the turbo was doing, and how to tweak the preload - lasted about 2 seconds at most.

The run back was fairly sedate TBH, low revs, we stayed south of three figure speeds, never went to 100% throttle except on the boost experiment, mostly running 15 psi max, controlled with the right foot.
                              I was aware of a diesel knock clatter around 3000 rpm under load so I was being wary, timing needs knocking back a touch - it's that or the vac pump that has started to click as well
                              PR = (14.7 + 25) / 14.7 = 2.7
                              (14.7 = ATM with no allowance for losses)

Here's a map of the 36/50mm compressor to give you some idea. The flow is better with the larger Volvo housing but it'll help visualize the inefficiency of too greater boost or the lack of control if it's allowed to spin up in the higher revs.
                              The X axis is airmass in m3/sec (x 1620.4 for bhp on the Z axis.)

Comment

• Sorry but that graph means nowt to me.

I've asked people to explain them in the past and still none the wiser.

I do know I was right foot regulating 20 psi peaks on the run down the A30 yesterday, holding a steady 80 up hill and down dale, even flashing cars to move over on hill climbs so I could accelerate past them - yes accelerate.

Even funnier when it was a T5 or some cock in a beemer that thought he owned the fast lane.

Had to tailgate one BMW, who pulled out in front of me on a climb and I was pushing him up the hill - missus gave me one of those looks but as the boost pipes held in place and we didn't have to stop once to refit them she had nothing to nag me about. (apart from my numberplate)

Funny, funny, funny - great weekend, barrelling along, not much came past me and she ran like a dream.

Picked up my new seats from a bloke called Neil in Falmouth who was rocking a Just T4s sticker - got some big plans for fitting the new seats. Full leather land rover seats in exchange for the rear rock and roll seats.
                                Last edited by regcheeseman; 15 September 2019, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X