No announcement yet.

Swapping sausages - TDI conversion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...and looks like a need a replacement front cross member now I presume?

You wont me to drop out tomorrow?
    Jebem ti nanu u trulu sisu

Comment

I know what you mean about wiring Reg, I'm an aircraft avionics tech and I keep meaning to sort my ex-AA wiring out but every time I look at it I shiver and look away then go and grab a JD & coke and it all seems better.

Old not retro.

Comment

Couple of hours spent degreasing and pressure washing until it looked somewhat less manky

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170529_141533.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	261397

More rusty holes were revealed

Name:	20170529_141644.jpg
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	261398

Name:	20170529_141554.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	261399

And more electrical bodges - this is the glow plug feed why would you chop into a perfectly good wire to replace it with another? Oh it's because the bulkhead fuse was gone, simply wire around it rather than replace the fuse.

Name:	20170531_211606.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	261400

No idea what thought processes were behind this work of genius, the boot is compromised and the CV joint scrap as a result; in fact all four CVs are ruined, as is the gearbox rear mount. Yay!

Name:	20170529_141614.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	261401

Sorted out the silly sceneboy ride height.

Name:	20170529_215639.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	261402

With an assortment of bolts in the gearbox output flanges (heh heh 'flange') separating them was fun, a bit of a fight with a few bolts and the driveshaft bolts in particular, but my 3 ft breaker bar took no prisoners and the gearbox was out

Name:	20170529_215651.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	261403

Sausages, add a speedo cable to your list of required bits as the old one is broke.
        Last edited by regcheeseman; 8 July 2017, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Fucking hell! the state of that drive shaft!!! and those electrical bodges are nothing to do with me this time. No need for speedo cable as it's gonna be electronic speedo no?

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Bit of a double edged sword this photo as I also get to annoy Turk with my concrete blocks

No, not in the slightest bit annoyed Reg .......... it's pretty much as you mentioned in my thread, do what you feel is safe. And many thanks for the 'safe working practices' you've displayed in your pictures. I just didn't feel safe going under my van with my 'poxy' axles stands ........ the emphasis is on the 'poxy' ! my thread was basically an alternative to what I felt were totally inadequate poxy axle stands for the job in hand. As for the concrete blocks you have there, I would have to agree that that is a good solution to getting under any van, and not the 'breeze' blocks I had envisioned in your response my thread. So long as the concrete blocks are of the 'load bearing blocks ' type, as opposed to 'general building blocks' that are much weaker in construction.

Interesting project there mate ....... I'll be following your progress, not that I need to change my 151bhp engine in my MultiVan but it's interesting to see somebody with the ability to change out an entire engine. And in his own driveway to boot !

TURK
            Yeah, baby ! ........ new Multivan 151bhp AHY 'BigBlue' ; ) >> http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1023689
            And ......... Lulu, T4 2.5 TDi short nose 126bhp > http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=276554
            The T4 Quad Headlight Project > http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249064

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Sausages View Post
              Fucking hell! the state of that drive shaft!!! and those electrical bodges are nothing to do with me this time. No need for speedo cable as it's gonna be electronic speedo no?
              No. Same gearbox, same clockset

Originally posted by TURK View Post
              No, not in the slightest bit annoyed Reg .......... it's pretty much as you mentioned in my thread, do what you feel is safe. And many thanks for the 'safe working practices' you've displayed in your pictures. I just didn't feel safe going under my van with my 'poxy' axles stands ........ the emphasis is on the 'poxy' ! my thread was basically an alternative to what I felt were totally inadequate poxy axle stands for the job in hand. As for the concrete blocks you have there, I would have to agree that that is a good solution to getting under any van, and not the 'breeze' blocks I had envisioned in your response my thread. So long as the concrete blocks are of the 'load bearing blocks ' type, as opposed to 'general building blocks' that are much weaker in construction.

Interesting project there mate ....... I'll be following your progress, not that I need to change my 151bhp engine in my MultiVan but it's interesting to see somebody with the ability to change out an entire engine. And in his own driveway to boot !

TURK
              I cheated a bit really mate, those wheels are only just touching the concrete blocks - the axle stands are taking the load. Blocks are merely insurance.

Comment

I cheated a bit really mate, those wheels are only just touching the concrete blocks - the axle stands are taking the load. Blocks are merely insurance.

I would be more inclined to have solid concrete blocks taking the load and have the axle stands as a side measure Reg.
                My disliking and mistrust of axle stands, particularly the smaller types like they sell in Halfrauds are the tops of them. The tops ( or footing if your prefer ) tend to be quite small, so if you imagine you have an older van, chances are the chassis would be rusted in some areas, not always noticeable ......... and that small 'footing' could quite easily punch a hole in the chassis causing the van loads to fall on you !

I live out in the sticks in central France mate, getting hold of decent tools is near on impossible round here so I have to be constructive ........... first chance I get, I'll be buying myself some decent ramps, until then, the job can wait !

Just a quick question for you mate .......... in your photos of the engine removed, you have the two box sections that secure the cross member clearly visible, the left one having the towing-eye, I know those are actually part of the chassis. But on either side of those two box sections are another two box sections going in at an angle .......... are those also part of the chassis' structure ?

TURK
                Yeah, baby ! ........ new Multivan 151bhp AHY 'BigBlue' ; ) >> http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1023689
                And ......... Lulu, T4 2.5 TDi short nose 126bhp > http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=276554
                The T4 Quad Headlight Project > http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249064

Comment

No. Same gearbox, same clockset
                  I got a replacement gearbox here with electronic speedo output. Are we not using the seat clockset?

Comment

Wow that is a sight on those cv joints !

I have bodged my glow plug fuse lol but I have a replacement to go in now , don't know what amp it is by any chance ?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Great thread is it a 1z you are putting in ?
                      dyslexics are teople poo

Comment

Ahu from a Seat Cordoba

Comment

Originally posted by TURK View Post
                          I would be more inclined to have solid concrete blocks taking the load and have the axle stands as a side measure Reg.
                          My disliking and mistrust of axle stands, particularly the smaller types like they sell in Halfrauds are the tops of them. The tops ( or footing if your prefer ) tend to be quite small, so if you imagine you have an older van, chances are the chassis would be rusted in some areas, not always noticeable ......... and that small 'footing' could quite easily punch a hole in the chassis causing the van loads to fall on you !

I live out in the sticks in central France mate, getting hold of decent tools is near on impossible round here so I have to be constructive ........... first chance I get, I'll be buying myself some decent ramps, until then, the job can wait !

Just a quick question for you mate .......... in your photos of the engine removed, you have the two box sections that secure the cross member clearly visible, the left one having the towing-eye, I know those are actually part of the chassis. But on either side of those two box sections are another two box sections going in at an angle .......... are those also part of the chassis' structure ?

TURK
                          These are decent axle stands, with a good saddle design, I always locate them in a well on the underside of the van so less likely to slip - always picking up on a reinforced section of chassis - typically the wishbone mount areas.

What I didn't do was chock the rear wheels and the handbrake is not too clever on this van - so a few demerit points there.

I'll have a look at the chassis areas you mention - would you like photos taken?

I got a replacement gearbox here with electronic speedo output. Are we not using the seat clockset?
                          Did that mean "I want to use the Seat clocks?" - may have to anyway because of immo, but I could immo delete it...

What gearbox do you have?

The mech/elec drives are normally interchangeable

Originally posted by nathaniel_evans View Post
                          Wow that is a sight on those cv joints !

I have bodged my glow plug fuse lol but I have a replacement to go in now , don't know what amp it is by any chance ?
                          60A - 80A

Originally posted by kaz View Post
                          Great thread is it a 1z you are putting in ?
                          Cheers! It's been so long since we stripped the donor I've forgotten. Came out of a 2000 ish Seat Cordoba - think it may have been an AFN??? Has an odd turbo location which might be fun to deal with

Comment

I'm happy to use the existing clocks, as long as we can get the temp gauge working, not sure if it's a clock fault, or whether it was ever wired up properly.

Replacement box is CRM 02B which has the same early mounts, but someone has swapped the speedo output at some point as I think it should have originally had a mechanical drive. I'm also happy if the immo is deleted, so whichever way you choose is good for me

Comment

Donor was a 1998 Ahu Seat Cordoba estate
                              Last edited by Dave Sausages; 5 June 2017, 10:02 AM.

Comment

I'm happy to use the existing clocks, as long as we can get the temp gauge working, not sure if it's a clock fault, or whether it was ever wired up properly.

Replacement box is CRM 02B which has the same early mounts, but someone has swapped the speedo output at some point as I think it should have originally had a mechanical drive. I'm also happy if the immo is deleted, so whichever way you choose is good for me
                                Will sort something out either way, the temp gauge could well be due to the connector for the temp sender that was hanging in the engine bay - it's either fallen off or was removed because of another fault elsewhere.

I could do with a spare gearbox..... I've another project plan in the pipeline.... fitting a different gear ring on the diff, rather than a fifth gear mod, this'll make all the gears taller.

Donor was a 1997 Ahu Seat Cordoba estate
                                AHU/AFN - yep probably one of them, big dirty diesel engine - they all fit given enough gripfill.

Oh, your rad has no clips on it at all, realy needs the hinges to put it into service mode safely - do you want me to search etos and get the part numbers - have to go to VW this week, I could get a price.

Did you find a turbo flange? I've got some 2.5" mandrel bends, straight and flexi sat waiting in my ebay basket - was it a four bolt flange on the exhaust?
                                Last edited by regcheeseman; 30 May 2017, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X