Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member / VW T4 transporter 1.9td 800 special / rear bumper iron...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member / VW T4 transporter 1.9td 800 special / rear bumper iron...

Hello.

I'm the keeper of a 1999 T4 1.9td 800 special in Northumberland, UK.

It's healthy enough, but out of MOT because rust; on which subject I come to you for advice.

The front cross member / bumper iron needs to be replaced and /seems/ to be available online.

The rear bumper iron (701 807 303 ?) also needs replacing. I've not found a source for such a thing.

Any pointers to a source, or suggestions for a work-around would be very welcome.

thanks
    simon

Hello and welcome,

Not sure as not looked but there is a hose away towbar that replaces the bumper bar if that suits?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

Hello and welcome

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Just T4s

Comment

Hi. Nothing on the bay?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by tagishsimon View Post
          Hello.

I'm the keeper of a 1999 T4 1.9td 800 special in Northumberland, UK.

It's healthy enough, but out of MOT because rust; on which subject I come to you for advice.

The front cross member / bumper iron needs to be replaced and /seems/ to be available online.

The rear bumper iron (701 807 303 ?) also needs replacing. I've not found a source for such a thing.

Any pointers to a source, or suggestions for a work-around would be very welcome.

thanks
          simon
          Remove it and repair it. Paint it.
          It's probably not as bad as you think.
          Post some pics up. [emoji106]

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
            Remove it and repair it. Paint it.
            It's probably not as bad as you think.
            Post some pics up. [emoji106]
            It's pretty bad

Untitled.jpg

Comment

Some more photos; project underway...

t4 front right.jpg
              T4 rear.jpg
              DSC_0301.jpg
              Attached Files
              Last edited by tagishsimon; 7 November 2019, 12:22 PM. Reason: change photo

Comment

Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
                Hello and welcome,

Not sure as not looked but there is a hose away towbar that replaces the bumper bar if that suits?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s
                Thanks Greeny - any more pointers to that? A buy-in & bolt-on solution would be good, else it might be fabricate from first principles.

I've found nothing on ebay or elsewhere so far, albeit I'm still more at the start than the end of this whole thing.

Comment

It's pretty bad

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14031[/ATTACH]
                  Oh yeh ..... tin worm central.....
                  Will it clean up and then could it be plated over or provide the basis for some box work replication?

Comment

It's very very bad; there's not a lot of solidity to it.

I think if push comes to shove, it's a bar with two sticks & I'd be inclined - with my wealth of absolutely no clue whatsoever - to ask an engineering shop to fabricate something new from scratch.

But per above, I live in hope of a bolt-on solution.

Comment

1 in Germany

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Oh, yes. So what exactly is '800 special' all about? What's special & what's 800? Can anyone tell me more about my van

Comment

Oh, yes. So what exactly is '800 special' all about? What's special & what's 800? Can anyone tell me more about my van
                          Its a desperate attempt to get shot of the low spec leftovers of unsold T4s before the T5 replaces them, by the additional of some nice seats, electric pack and a badge.

The Westfalia towbar is £200+ but it does come with a complete replacement rear bumper iron.

With rot that bad on the bumper iron, I'd be inspecting the rest of the van very carefully before spending any money on it.

Comment

Ours has a tow bar that replaces the bumper iron and has passed the mot 3 years running like that, so perhaps the answer is fit that sort of tow bar.

Comment

It's odd. Front and rear irons are completely shot, but, so far, the rest of the structural ironwork looks in very good condition, considering.

Famous last words.

Comment

Working...
                              X