T4 Petrol project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d-9 View Post
    The easiest 1.8t for a t4 is the very early longitudinal AEB from a passat/a4 because they use the same block as the 2.0 t4, so the sump etc will all bolt on. The mk4 platform and later ones need sump mods and a custom drivers engine mount, obviously nothing you can't handle, but more work and fabrication.

If I get mine back on the road anytime soon, your welcome to come for a run in it
    I'd have to take you up on that d-9 cheers. The 2 litre runs so nice I hope shes happy with it. that leaves me short of a project. Did spot a VR6 van with box trouble on the bay of flea so that got me thinking. Pedal box and gear stick still in the grey one in the yard by us. But wouldn't mind going a 1.8 swap just need a rough van to build round it. S49's running so well I don't want to spoil that one so i'm on the look out for another cheap van. The wife has two VR6's so why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      Is it any 1.8T longitudinal engine or just those 150bhp 95-99 year units?
      I'll keep an eye out for those.
      Specifically the AEB, which is the early 150bhp one - easy way to tell is look for longitudinal with a cable throttle. Annoyingly there was a load of these in the scrapyard back when i was doing mine, but I hadnt realised that they would be the easy fit.

Originally posted by S49 View Post
      I'd have to take you up on that d-9 cheers. The 2 litre runs so nice I hope shes happy with it. that leaves me short of a project. Did spot a VR6 van with box trouble on the bay of flea so that got me thinking. Pedal box and gear stick still in the grey one in the yard by us. But wouldn't mind going a 1.8 swap just need a rough van to build round it. S49's running so well I don't want to spoil that one so i'm on the look out for another cheap van. The wife has two VR6's so why not?
      Seems like a plan! Has the one in the yard still got the sliding door or passenger door?

Comment

Sorry I've harvested those and just about everything else bar the engine and box which were gone almost as soon as they got it.

Comment

They did one with a throttle cable? This gets better by the minute. Contact breakerpoits Bosch dizzy?...No, i'll get me coat.

Comment

Yeh theres a bunch of different 1.8t's, probably the most common 1.8t is the AGU from the mk4 golf, 150bhp (will remap to 200bhp) with cable throttle. The missus has got one in her mk2 and has abused the hell out of it for about 10 years, somehow its still running although it smokes a bit! They drive really well, little turbo so not much lag, dump valve noises and a lot of performance.

The AEB is nice because it uses the early block, same as the 1.9d, 2.0 petrol, etc, so you can bolt it in using T4 sump, mount and oil pickup. All the others (as far as i know) use the later block which means custom modified sump, oil pickup and drivers side engine mount. Not the end of the world, but not bolt in anymore.

TBH its not a big issue fitting a drive-by-wire throttle engine into a T4, you use a 2.5tdi pedal and potentiometer bracket, and a 1.8t throttle pot from a early TT - this is what I've got in mine and it all just bolted in.

Comment

Next up I got the van Motd with the new engine, failed first time around but nothing too major. If you're ever doing a big project, get it MOTd before you take the engine out, it sucks having to do the shakedown on the way to the mot.

The engine felt like it had more to give, so it got a stage 1 remap, and then I cut a hole in the front bumper for the intercooler, which helped a LOT as it was finally getting proper airflow. Fitted a e36 m3 bumper grille:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	0ECF2AFF-4267-48E7-A985-91E3F7FA7B68.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	268479

I decided to go green:

Name:	BAB1C69A-546D-471F-BAA7-D28BF05920C5.jpeg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	268480

This wasn't my first choice of colour, but I managed to get some genuine BBS CHs in 17" (didn't want to go 18", they look nice but I like a comfy ride) for a good price from a chav . After a while the green on black grows on you, but I'll probably get them sprayed when they start to get tatty. I'm not quite sure on the width of the wheels, they are 8.5 and I'm not sure if they'll ever clear properly without a lot of archwork. I need to do the maths and experiment a bit.

I used the van a fair bit for mtb and surf trips after that:

Name:	C81E88D3-3483-4CFC-9DE3-3612D632F9F1.jpg
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	268481

Comment

Seems I've dropped lucky on the AEB then.

Comment

Yeh lol! I'm really interested to see how easy a conversion kit is with an AEB, if you don't mind can I pop up for a nosy once you've got the conversion underway?

Comment

Yes mate. Your more than welcome.The van will be backed in the corner of the workshop in February when the tax runs out. Unless I really get my ass into gear with the engine prep this side of new year.

Comment

I did a little research on T4 petrol conversions , here's the engine codes that match d9's suggested 1.8T donors.

Engine Info
                      110 kW (150 PS; 148 bhp) at 5,800 rpm; 210 N⋅m (155 lbf⋅ft) at 1,750ā€“4,600 rpm
                      Engine Codes
                      AEB, AGU, AJH, APH, ARX, ARZ, ATW, AUM, AWC, AWD, AWL, AWT, AWW, BJX, BKF, BKV
                      Donor Cars with this Engine
                      VW Polo GTI,
                      VW Golf Mk4 GTI,
                      VW Bora,
                      VW New Beetle,
                      VW Passat B5,
                      VW Sharan,
                      Audi TT Mk1 (8N),
                      Audi A3 (first gen),
                      Audi A4,
                      Audi A6,
                      Skoda Octavia,
                      Skoda Superb (first gen.)
                      SEAT Ibiza.

Hope this helps someone going down this route.

Comment

As requested by d9:

Engine Code Information GUIDE.

Its not completely researched so there could other 1.8T engine units that may or may not work with the same installation effort.

The AEB uses the cylinder block 058 103 101 H or 058 103 101 D

The Engine Supports are 8D0 199 305 and 8D0 199 306 G

This block is common across the following engine codes

AUDI AEB, AJL, APU, ARK, ANB. 1998, 1999, 2000 & 2001

VW Passatt / Passatt 4Motion 1.8T ATW 1998, 1999, 2000 & 2001

The 1.8T 06B block of the same era uses different engine mounts.

Comment

Iā€™m getting closer to putting the van back together, so thought I should finish the history and get up to date.

Picking up again a year after the engine change in April ā€˜15, I had to run up to Yorkshire, which went really smoothly until the oil light came on the Audi. I stopped and bought oil, and moved the coolant hose out the way so I could pour the oil in easier, at which point the coolant y piece snapped and fired hot coolant all over the engine, including down the open oil filler hole

I got the broken audi recovered back home, spent an hour doing some rush fixes on the van, checked the fluids and set off again for Yorkshire. First up was bolting the fire extinguisher down so it wasnt rattling around, then fitted an underseat sub so I can hear the radio on the motorway - its not hifi but it helps and it solves the issue until I have time to pull out the interior and do a proper build, and bolted the throttle pot down properly after it fell off the week before.

I put another 450miles on it that week, averaged a comfy 28mpg of mostly motorways with the cruise on 70 or 50...Then I went to leave the hotel after a stag do on sunday morning, being all smug at my awesome turbocharged van being so reliable after the super busy week, turned the key and it just went 'clunk'
                          Last edited by d-9; 5 April 2021, 11:05 PM.

Comment

The next big job on the van was a front suspension refresh, I had fitted bilsteins and lowered it already, but the bushes and balljoints were a bit worn (not bad really because it was all probably original).

ā€‹

Que lots of messing around - I decided to try and do the balljoints wihout the special tool, because I'm tight (and have a hydraulic press in the garage). After glaring at them for a while I realized it wasnt really an option without taking the torsion bars off and loads of extra work, so I ordered the special tool. The wheelbearings were completely textbook - despite not being any play you could feel they were noisy and felt worn. Not bad for 260k thou

While I was at it, I upgraded to 300mm vented discs from a shalhambraxy. The stock brakes were pretty impressive considering they were solid discs, but would fade after a few hard stops, so I was mostly after better cooling:
                            ā€‹
                            While I was at it, I fitted the correct alternator belt to fix the sequel when it was cold, just an inch shorter and the problem is totally gone, swapped out the badge for a silver one, and fitted a new gear knob (a momo one like I had back in the day ).

Once it was all back together, the van was ready for the first T17club meet at santa pod (photo credit to slimjim):

Name:	SP_05.jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	324666

Name:	SP_06.jpeg
Views:	264
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	324667

Pod was an awesome day out, the van worked perfectly all day, and I learnt a lot! The pushing-the-van-in-the-queue to racing ratio was pretty crappy on a rwyb public day, I think I got less than 60 seconds of racing for about 7hrs at pod, but it was a lot of fun and a great way to kick off T17 club. My best time of the day was 16.6, fairly respectable for a van, but it has a lot more to give - I had a bunch of tools in the back, an unused LPG tank (which is part of the bed support, so its easier to leave it where it is), and I was changing gear at 3k, not the 7k redline. Im very keen to take the van back, once its all back together.

Comment

Where the video????

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                                Where the video????
                                I don't think anyone thought to film the vans, shame because the smoke from Jims was epic

Comment

Working...
                                X