I was going to ask Si...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Halfords all day long, there's always an offer on - think they are half price at the mo.

Buy with a trade card and it's often cheaper.

Treat yourself to some ratchet spanners, I wouldnt trust them doing some mental tight bolts up, and reach for the solid combination halfords spanners instead - I've a set of flex head ratchet spanners and they are really good, especially when you are in a tight spot.
    I need to get a trade card , but it’s an hour and a half round trip to my nearest Halfords .I normally buy when tools are on offer .

I have the flex Halfords ratchet spanner’s and the standard ratchet spanner’s , I can also recommend the Halfords brake pipe / power steering pipe spanner’s , really chunky

Comment

Thanks to all for chipping in.

Great advice as always.

I've stared a list of stuff that I need/want (as suggested by Rob).

Gonna nip to Halfords tomorrow, as they seem to be getting some good reviews, and I'm also still quite keen on the bluepoint.

So making progress.

Thanks again.

Comment

Not everything has to be top quality. I've got Snap On long series combi spanners and 3/8" socket set and ratchet because they get used all the time. But my stubby spanners are no-name cheapies, same with 1/4" sockets etc. as I figure I won't be heaving on them. The rest is a mix of stuff chosen depending on how much or hard it's going to be used.

Don't bother with Silverline Tools. Yes they do do some good stuff and the abuse a set of deep offset spanners of mine has taken is amazing. But I worked for a place who distributed Silverline so I could return stuff really easily and most of it did go back because overall it's shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
          I can also recommend the Halfords brake pipe / power steering pipe spanner’s , really chunky
          I got one of those and will second it.

One job that can go wrong and often does - either the corroded fitting rounds off or the spanner breaks/splays and slips. This spanner has been a saviour on many occasions that I think would have ended in tears otherwise.

Good tip is to tighten the fitting a touch before you try and undo it.

And if you are working on a Jap car, half a turn out, quarter turn back and repeat until the bolt starts to turn freely, jap bolts are soft, like to bind up solid on rust and shear off far too easily.

Comment

+1 for the halfords brake spanners, they've taken some abuse. The Silverline 6-32mm spanner set is a bargain at £32 too. No idea what warranty they have, don't freaky care because I've abused them for years and not broken any.

Comment

This lot is worth keeping an eye on especially if your local.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F143389751531

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Good job i'm on the westside.

Comment

Originally posted by d-9 View Post
                  +1 for the halfords brake spanners, they've taken some abuse. The Silverline 6-32mm spanner set is a bargain at £32 too. No idea what warranty they have, don't freaky care because I've abused them for years and not broken any.
                  I checked the handtools warranty with Silverline and it's a forever guarantee, (their words ,so not even legaleze) but they require you to register the purchase with them within 30 days of receipt! See link below.

So I've now ordered a few bits'n'pieces. Some of the online prices were incredible.

https://www.silverlinetools.com/en-G...ion?Guest=True

Comment

Check out the Silverline spanner set, I bought one of these sets in about 2009 and have beaten the crap out of them since, haven't damaged a single spanner. Up to £36 now! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...dp/B000LFTQMC/

The only issue I had is the roll gave up around 2014, so after a few months of keeping my spanners in a carrier bag, I transferred them to my toolbox and bought another spanner set - pleased to see the roll is a lot tougher now.
                    Last edited by d-9; 28 September 2019, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Check out the Silverline spanner set, I bought one of these sets in about 2009 and have beaten the crap out of them since, haven't damaged a single spanner. Up to £36 now! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...dp/B000LFTQMC/
                      Yeh there's some great pricing and products. Appreciate the heads up for stimulating the interest. I've bought this obstruction spanner set for £10.02 in the week and just registered for the extended lifetime warranty. Emailed by return with the details registered as a certificate to save, but job done.

I'll take an hour this afternoon with a coffee and have a shop!

Comment

If anyones interested, Register and Order for your Silverline Tool Catalog here ;

https://www.silverlinetools.com/en-G...questCatalogue

Comment

They look useful! £18 with 4 magnetic trays ��

I've also got a Silverline polisher and a Silverline biscuit jointer thats are really good. Maybe you'd kill them if your using them professionally, but for the 1-2x year that I use it, it's perfect.
                          https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...dp/B002QS1LZ2/

Comment

They look useful! £18 with 4 magnetic trays ��

I've also got a Silverline polisher and a Silverline biscuit jointer thats are really good. Maybe you'd kill them if your using them professionally, but for the 1-2x year that I use it, it's perfect.
                            https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...dp/B002QS1LZ2/
                            Yep. Bought one a few years back - never been.out of the box! Always ended up polishing each panel by hand when I've got 20 mins!! Mad!!

Comment

Evening guys I have used and abused over the past 10 years a teng socket set as well as spanners on everything from diggers and dumpers to my trusty t4 Lilith Mistress of the bank account

Comment

I didn't want to be the first to mention Tengtools but I love mine, they've had some stick for almost 30 years and are still like new. Nowadays I tend to buy Halfords, its good value and feels nice and I only buy hex sockets. My 60 year old king dicks are useful for my Harley

Comment

Working...
                                X