I was going to ask Si...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was going to ask Si...

I was going to ask Si, but decided to open up the question to everyone.

So as most of you will know, my mechanical knowledge is limited...all of it has come from owning my T4 for the last 4 years.

So I'm slowly getting there, and I've managed quite a few things such as changing brakes pads, discs, new injectors (thanks Tommyp and arbitrary), put a turbo mod on (thanks to Brookester from the 'other' forum) done some wiring, and even some rust repairs (thanks Reg) etc. etc.

All of this has been done using cheap tools...draper, Hilka, and whatever I was bought as a Christmas or as a birthday present.

Well that was until I recently borrowed a mates Snap on set...Wow!!! The difference is really noticeable and now I want my own set.

The trouble is that it's extemely expensive.

I know some of you use Halfords stuff. Others use Bitool, and if your names Si, then probably a good mix of everything.

I've been looking at the bluepoint stuff. Apparently it's a spin off from snap on but much cheaper.

What do you good folks think.? Christmas is coming, and I'm thinking about splashing out a bit.

Thanks.

Frenchy.

The Blue Point stuff is not bad. The sockets and spanners are not as good as the Snap On parent and still not cheap. I built mine up over the years paying the Snap On man a tenner a week replacing the cheaper tools over time. Think Robs Bahco would be just as good. Don't get Facum ratchets as the new ones are rubbish and i'm not sure if Britool are still going but their tools since the mid 90's were not that good. Snap On may be going the same way as the lifetime guaranty replacements are chunkier that the originals, worse metal but more of it??? I keep picking up stuff at car boots as what ever you use it wears. And the days are gone when i'll pay 80 or 90 quid for a new Snap On ratchet. Spanners and socket wise it used to be about a pound a millimetre plus vat. Bet if I set foot on their van now i'd have kittens. A lot of woffle and not much help i'm afraid Jez mate.

Comment

Snap on tools are expensive ,but they are the best out there in my opinion , I have a mix of snap on , blue point , Bergen , Laser , sealey and Halfords professional range , I really rate the Halfords professional tool range , they feel nice in your hand and can take the abuse and they are guaranteed .

The problem with cheaper tools is the chrome vanadium isnt the best and the tolerance are not as good as the expensive tools , take for instance a good 17mm spanner will measure 17mm on the open end , cheaper spanner’s will be around the 17.2mm hence why they slip and round off bolts , they also open up with age .

Buy the best you can comfortably afford .

Comment

B and Q do a Magneson range of tools the chrome is dull and I've found that that type tends to wear through rather than peel off leaving a sharp bit flapping. The B and Q have stood the stick I gave them. 17mm comes at about £2.50, and feel good in the hand I have a 1/4 drive set 30 quid.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

It's given me some good food for thought.

I'll be checking them all, but like the sound of the Halfords stuff and the bluepoint is still appealing.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi. French. I have got a mix of. Snap on. Blueprint bergen. The snap on stuff is worth the money. Buy cheap. Buy. Twice. I have collected mine over the 30 years that I have been doing motors

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by frenchdna View Post
              Thanks for the replies.

It's given me some good food for thought.

I'll be checking them all, but like the sound of the Halfords stuff and the bluepoint is still appealing.

Thanks again.
              If you are going the Halfords route get a trade card, I got mine today, very easy. It will give you some very good deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by huskyman View Post
                Hi. French. I have got a mix of. Snap on. Blueprint bergen. The snap on stuff is worth the money. Buy cheap. Buy. Twice. I have collected mine over the 30 years that I have been doing motors

Good luck
                Cheers Husky. I've been looking at the Snap on. Expensive stuff but I agree with you...buy cheap, pay twice.

Comment

Originally posted by chally69 View Post
                  If you are going the Halfords route get a trade card, I got mine today, very easy. It will give you some very good deals.

Thanks Chally. Still not made my mind up, but the Halfords pro stuff also lols good.

I'll get a card if I go with Halfords stuff.

I'm more than likely going to end up like most on here and have a mix of stuff as I begins to buy it over time.

Comment

Also bear in mind 2nd hand stuff, I managed to pick up a whole tool box containing snap on, mac, blue point and more for a bargain price.

Comment

Buy the best you can but draft a shopping list as it's easy to get carried away!

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                        Buy the best you can but draft a shopping list as it's easy to get carried away!
                        Spot on advice!
                        However, once the bright sparkly tool lust takes over its amazing what you can qualify to your self that you need!!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

Thought about this again but in addition to the above I'd add, get yourself organised with tools. A tool board slotted shelves &/or a tool cupboard layout (nothing OCD) there are sets you can buy on Amazon that kickstart a toolboard system. A magnetic tray I've found handy plus a cheap open 'carpenters style' tool box for filling with loose tools applicable to the job then put them away when finished.

I don't like rummaging and routing about!

I popped out Saturday to see a mate and he's Mr Snap-On but while we were fiddling about with his Harley got chatting about his 3 tiered tool system rammed with Snap-on gear. His words were "don't bother unless you're using them daily and only if the rep is supportive of the warranty as many will argue the toss about swapping tools out after a breakage". As others have implied he also recommended Halfords where the guy behind the counter couldn't give a hoot about handing over a new socket, screwdriver etc. and if you buy local you'll build a rapport with staff that are a short trip to exchange away.

He liked the Bahco gear but the brands tainted by Snap-on warranty issues he's had for years.

Air tools - he stated don't carry warranties beyond 12 months despite the outlay, so buy Aldi for odd bi annual use and if it suits the use as there's a 3 year warranty much better than any of the tool makers. Most air tools can be easily repaired.

Buy a decent torque wrench that's calibrated to 350Nm and remember it's a measuring instrument so treat it with care.
                          Last edited by Activ8; 23 September 2019, 09:30 AM.

Comment

The bluepoint 100pc 1/4 and 3/8 set is really nice, well thought out with most stuff you need. It's my goto set now because it's nice kit and everything is there.

I've got a lot of different stuff - draper expert, halfords, sealey premier, bluepoint, snap on. Everything has got a lifetime warranty, and is pretty much the same quality, the snap on sockets are a bit nicer than blue point, which are a bit nicer than the others, but not worth the premium unless you're particularly flush.

The snap on 80tooth ratchets are a lot nicer than the cheaper ratchets I've got, although the sealey premier one is nicer than the bluepoint.

Halfords advanced is nice because there's no drama with the warranty, much easier than arguing with the snap on guy.

Comment

Halfords all day long, there's always an offer on - think they are half price at the mo.

Buy with a trade card and it's often cheaper.

Don't buy old worn stuff, it'll cost you more in skinned knuckles and rounded nuts.

I've used cheap stuff for years and slowly upgraded as funds allowed, my stuff gets used but not abused, rarely break a tool and not broke anything Halfords yet. Though the 18mm socket I had sacrafice and weld into place could do with being replaced. Doubt I'll get that on the lifetime warranty.

Treat yourself to some ratchet spanners, I wouldnt trust them doing some mental tight bolts up, and reach for the solid combination halfords spanners instead - I've a set of flex head ratchet spanners and they are really good, especially when you are in a tight spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X