No announcement yet.

The San Fran Van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last time I had my eyes tested they said I have 9 scares on one and 24 on the other. And I wear safety glasses! Wait till you have to have metal dug out of your eye ball with a needle. They numb it but you cant look away and it feels like someone stirring a coffee mug full of sand with a knitting needle.Mind the relief after is priceless.Get them googles.

Comment

• Your vans going to have some forum history mate. Our blue one has the little panel that covers the OBD socket from Druggedonions van. So our vans will be related.

Comment

• I will heed your advice and wear them from now on. Still a bit irritated. My mate Ross has had the needle in the eye your on about. Says its horrible. The rate its going and amount of bits needed my van will be related to half the country's.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• You've broke those inox disc from either wobbling or being too heavy on them.

They should take ages to wear out, the same time as 3mm discs wear out.

I use nothing but 1mm disc for cutting. cutting a complete T4 front end up for scrap used 2 discs, that included cutting through A and B pillars both sides and both chassis legs.

Have you got that bracket sorted yet, I found one the other day.

Comment

• I think I was pushing too heavy then, the discs weren't lasting any time. Sounds like me being heavy handed with them if you can cut half a van up with 2. I didn't remember using so many cutting up my van right enough. They were just 1mm.
            I've bought plenty more so I'll take more time with them. Got 1mm, 1.6 mm to.
            Druggedonions has 1 on his scrapper but it has the towbar, I don't want a towbar. It was cutting the bumper bolts out to remove it that shattered the discs. I'm getting a cut from the back doors to rear wheel tubs next from him. Similar to what jumbungla did in his build thread. I think he needs his bumper brackets for going on his own van so I'd buy yours if going spare?

Comment

• Good to see you're back working on the van mate.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Just T4s

Comment

• Yes mate , nice and steady with the grinder , the cordless one is for quick little jobs. Use a corded one for big jobs. It spins faster and cools the blade better, so less wear.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

• I'm glad to be back at the van aswell. Hopefully a lot more with the lighter nights coming in. I'm wanting to get a push on with it. I went to prep the sill yesterday and clean it up ready to put on but the cordless grinder I've got is pants even for that. I previously just used it for cutting brass off scrap copper. Got a cheapo corded 1 today so I'll crack on thro the week. The golf is doing my head in now, lost boost on the way home there. My mate had a spare n75 valve? And changed that, no different. Diagnostic says airflow meter so try that next. No looking forward to tomorrow's drive to work. Fkn cars!!

Comment

• Resurrecting this old thread. Got a bit done today. First priority was to sticker up my welder. Rather fitting I think..

Next job was connecting up the welder to my new hobby bottle using the guv'nor I got from Reg. Working fine. Cheers!
                    Decided to repair the replacement sill.

Made a repair panel.

Tacked it in then welded the bottom seam.

Ended up chasing that hole in the bottom left hand corner so cut more out.

Made another repair piece then welded it all up
                    Then cleaned the welds up. Which is my next question... how far do you buff your welds back. I'm trying to get as flush as possible. Which was too far in this case.

My own fault! I was too eager to grind it back. I hadn't welded on the opposite side. Lesson learned and repaired.
                    Then all ready for primer.

Comment

• I'd sand off flush. Can you weld it at the back as well where its out of sight? Its getting there mate.

Comment

• Then I went on to the underside of the sill.
                        Took an aluminium strip off?? And this was underneath
                        Cut all that mess out

Then spent ages making a repair panel using a vice and a big hammer. Not near hans standard but good enough.

Then welded it all in
                        Then gave it a quick blast of primer cos it was getting on time wise. But I've run out. Still to clean the welds up anyway and still the left hand side of the sill to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                          I'd sand off flush. Can you weld it at the back as well where its out of sight? Its getting there mate.
                          Yea I got it welded all the way round before I buffed it back again. Learned that the hard way.

Comment

• That's coming together nicely. I see your starting to master the welding. Pleased with that i'd be.

Comment

• Thanks a lot mate. Tbh I really enjoy the welding. Getting a feel for it. Its the making of panels is a pain. Gonna get a decent vice next I think
                              Originally posted by S49 View Post
                              That's coming together nicely. I see your starting to master the welding. Pleased with that i'd be.

Comment

• If that repair is underneath i'd be tempted not to grind it off. Heres the same spot on our blue one. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0778.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	675.6 KB
ID:	296784Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0771.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	861.1 KB
ID:	296785

Comment

Working...
                                X