The San Fran Van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by damont4 View Post
    Fair play mate I know how daunting it can be when there's a lot to repair just gotta keep ticking one little job off at a time
    Great job

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Just T4s
    Thanks mate, Like you say, 1 job at a time, that's all the wallet allows anyway. I've possibly got part of the week off next week so hoping to get cracked on.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

As your already in balls deep , I’d just cut all the rust out and weld in fresh steel , you’ve come this far and I’d hate it for you to be back here again next year .

Comment

Didn't get to the scrappies today. but I've reserved those vents for you mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
          As your already in balls deep , I’d just cut all the rust out and weld in fresh steel , you’ve come this far and I’d hate it for you to be back here again next year .
          Certainly balls deep. It was f@#$%d with the previous "repair" so had nothing to loose really.
          I've cut out as much as possible back to decent steel on the floor (just corner) to repair with sheet steel. I'm treating the rest of floor and interior side of tub as another job. The replacement floor panels are of limited width (500mm max) so itl be big patches to good existing metal.
          The inner arch I've flapped back to clean metal (mostly) the bits I've concentrated most with the rust remover gel is where the existing tub meets the pillar, (twisty bit in pics) and the bottom of the pillar, between where the quarter panel goes and sill.
          I'm having to replace the sill. (Prob next after arches, all 4 eventually [emoji1785]) but I'm unsure how the repair panel will finish into the pillar (I'll re read si's molly build) so I was intending on just cleaning up and priming that area till its sill time. That wont effect the quarter panel fitting. You get me??

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
            Didn't get to the scrappies today. but I've reserved those vents for you mate.
            Thanks Si, top man!. Theres really no hurry. Just at your leasure [emoji106]

Comment

Looking at the level you are going to I didn't think you'd need em this week or next. Will grab em when i go up, next weekend if I don't have to get anything in the week for clients motors.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                Looking at the level you are going to I didn't think you'd need em this week or next. Will grab em when i go up, next weekend if I don't have to get anything in the week for clients motors.
                Yea be a wee while yet mate

Comment

Originally posted by fife t4 new View Post
                  Certainly balls deep. It was f@#$%d with the previous "repair" so had nothing to loose really.
                  I've cut out as much as possible back to decent steel on the floor (just corner) to repair with sheet steel. I'm treating the rest of floor and interior side of tub as another job. The replacement floor panels are of limited width (500mm max) so itl be big patches to good existing metal.
                  The inner arch I've flapped back to clean metal (mostly) the bits I've concentrated most with the rust remover gel is where the existing tub meets the pillar, (twisty bit in pics) and the bottom of the pillar, between where the quarter panel goes and sill.
                  I'm having to replace the sill. (Prob next after arches, all 4 eventually [emoji1785]) but I'm unsure how the repair panel will finish into the pillar (I'll re read si's molly build) so I was intending on just cleaning up and priming that area till its sill time. That wont effect the quarter panel fitting. You get me??

Yeah I’m with ya .

Comment

Heres the results after about 5 hours sitting in clingy.

Then all gunky after a good wire brushing. It had slightly dried under the clingy (under south facing black tarp) but dipped the wire brush into more deox while scrubbing.

Then a good wash and wipe down.

I'd say that's an overall success. Seems to do what it says on the tin anyway.

Fruitbats got me a bit paranoid I've not taken enough shite out so I'm gonna attack it a bit more with grinder tomorrow, and think a dremel is the key for those awkward bits. I'll give it another coat of deox after that then hopefully good to weld.

Comment

Could you post a couple of pics of the Deox plus a before & after of the best success plus a little write up in the Just T4's Bodywork Standards Thread? Appreciate it. [emoji106]
                      https://just-t4s.co.uk/showthread.php?t=44589

Comment

Managed to get a wee bit done today, first I took the back bumper off, and discovered a mess.

Not good, I then made a wee repair patch for the back tub. Attempted to weld that in. Varying success, unsure if its correct steel or my shit welding. Anyway it's not photoworthy yet. Made a different repair panel. Haven't welded it yet. Had to stop cos the farmer was shifting his cows [emoji609][emoji230]

Before

After,..patched but not welded. Pretty chuffed for first time panel beating attempt. I know sills fucked in background. It's on list.

Comment

Make sure you grind all that paint and shite off the joint before welding mate.Gota be clean metal.

Comment

Get back to shiny metal. If the repair isn't double the size you expect you haven't gone back far enough.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0686.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	268490Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0687.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	268491Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0688.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	268492Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0689.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	268493 I spect this will be back though in a year or two. Should really have fitted a sill like I did on the left side.

Comment

Done my first bit welding on the van this afternoon. It's a complete mess. Only my 4th go ever. And first 3 practice runs were old panel flat on the floor. Please don't be too harsh. But I'm fully expecting it. A lot more practice needed.

My welder. £50 from gumtree. Think 90 originally. I know reg....lidl

Comment

Working...
                                X