The San Fran Van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The San Fran Van

Thought it was about time I introduced myself officially. I'm Neil and the better half is Michelle. Were from Fife in Scotland [emoji1022]󐁧󐁢󐁳󐁣󐁴󐁿. Always been a big fan of vw's.* Got the bug from my dad. I've had a couple mk4 tdi golfs but this is first t4. (We had a 1.9 as a work van when I was an apprentice.) So since May this year we've been the proud owner of a 94 plate caravelle. 2.4d. Only 89500 miles but flat as p#$a. Not a thing done inside. More like a work van. Unnamed, so far...its the bus.

I'm clueless when it comes to motors but I'm ready to get stuck in. This forum has already been invaluable for info and guidance. Have to mention my mate kev, he's a massive help in keeping me right on how to do things. ( more he does it and I help) and the bus is kept at his while its getting worked on.

Heres the bus*basically how I got it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Here's pics from the guy I bought it off. Work he done

Comment

All I've done so far. Replace load sensor and back lines. Brakes too

Comment

Lovely job mate welcome along [emoji106]

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Just T4s

Comment

You'll enjoy the van far more getting stuck in and "bonding" with it .... are you planning to double glaze it? [emoji6][emoji23]

What's the plan when it's all finished, clan trips in Scotland or cross border raiding party?
          Last edited by Activ8; 19 September 2019, 08:42 AM.

Comment

I stripped the curtains, panels, and roof liner off last night to see exactly what I was dealing with body wise. Some rot on back arches and floor. Will put pics up when I'm back tonight.

Bought a cheap gasless mig from gumtree last Friday. Just a cheapo lidl parkside thing. 90a, So been practicing welding with that. Never welded beforebut It feels similar to lead burning which I've done. I've managed to stick 2 bits of scrap metal together anyway

As far as usage plans, I'll be using it for a weekend camper eventually so will kit it out for that.
            We've only been away for about 6 nights in total so far, airbed and gas stove chucked in back. Just Scotland so far but definitely up for further trips in future. Didn't know you couldn't wild camp in England though?? Bizarre

Comment

Originally posted by fifet4 View Post
              Didn't know you couldn't wild camp in England though?? Bizarre
              You can. There are some lovely spots.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                You can. There are some lovely spots.
                Legally though reg?

Comment

Not legally, but i done it, as long as u keep a low profile and clean your mess up.
                  And don't drink, just in case the authorities ask u to move

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
                    Not legally, but i done it, as long as u keep a low profile and clean your mess up.
                    And don't drink, just in case the authorities ask u to move

Thanks. I dont understand why its illegal tbh?. I try and fly below the radar anyway hans. And always clean up behind us.

Comment

Its illegal for a few reasons, the mess people leave, people plotting up on others land (without asking) the risk of people being victims of crime and mainly our government are control freaks...

Comment

Like the look of the welding. Are you wild camping or stopping toe a cup a tea? Are they gonna stay all night to check. Theres a little car park mile or two south of Harlech the pay and display gives a price from 6 til 6 but says no camping.

Comment

Welcome , nice starting point, very low mileage too, ,

Come rain or shine I'm out in mine!!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                            Like the look of the welding. Are you wild camping or stopping toe a cup a tea? Are they gonna stay all night to check. Theres a little car park mile or two south of Harlech the pay and display gives a price from 6 til 6 but says no camping.
                            Sleeping in a van isn't camping. As long as u dont have big set-up.

Comment

That was the previous owners welding skills Si. I could sure use them after uncovering this lot after stripping things back today.

Holey moley [emoji54]

Comment

Working...
                              X