I was going to ask Reg.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was going to ask Reg.

I’ve decided to take my old air filter out as I’ve decided I’m just getting too old for the ‘whoosh’ sound, and have decided I want a quieter and more stock looking engine.

Trouble is, I’m having a hard time trying to route any pipe work to the standard air box.

I was going to ask Reg what he thought...but then I remembered...he’s not a 2.4 fan

Only joking Reg...so what do you think?

Here’s a picture of what I’ve done so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20729133-6A7E-47ED-8057-C20555957C67.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	272999

The red line shows the direction of the pipework . I’ve used the standard plastic pipe, then added some on to extend it to the turbo. It’s very tight. (Steady on now Arff!)

But I don’t like it...

So can I fit one of these?

Name:	3E4D8A67-718D-4179-AB34-30A752469053.jpg
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	273000

It’s off a 2.5??? Will it fit.???

Here’s the cone I took off

Name:	110FE032-60C2-46BD-8B8D-CC0FCEA572CF.jpg
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	273001

And can anyone recommend a decent filter??

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks all

Frenchy.

should fit?

£35 is too much for a knackered pipe.

Activ may have a few

I've a spare ABL box and pipework - that should fit.

Anything will look better than the black waste paper bin fitted to the stock 2.4 though.

I love the garden hose. Tell me that's not your brake servo pipe.

Comment

Jez, yes it will fit the ACV / AJT K14 turbo but they are rubbish with a poor seal at the turbo inlet. It's crap but I have one if you want it?

Why restrict the airflow with this type of small pipe?

What do want to achieve?
      TDI airbox and paper filter etc?
      All of them restrict airflow and airmass.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
        should fit?

£35 is too much for a knackered pipe.

Activ may have a few

I've a spare ABL box and pipework - that should fit.

Anything will look better than the black waste paper bin fitted to the stock 2.4 though.

I love the garden hose. Tell me that's not your brake servo pipe.
        I didn’t know an ABL one would fit...could be an option.

Re the garden hose... shit, bugger, damn...you noticed it,,, but I I do have a defence

In all honesty (and this is the absolute truth), when I bought the van I never opened the bonnet. I’ve never messed around with a car or van before, and everything I know now is because of learning stuff with my T4. If you had said vacuum pump, I’m afraid I would have just stared at you with a vacant look.
        When I did eventually one day open the bonnet, I saw the hose pipe...and yes, as embarrassed as I am, i have to admit, it is the vacuum pipe. I have pulled it off and there is a split in the pipe. So someone before me have put it on to cover the split. It’s not ideal I know, and I am guilty of having just left it. But all that will now change, as I am truly very embarrassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
          Jez, yes it will fit the ACV / AJT K14 turbo but they are rubbish with a poor seal at the turbo inlet. It's crap but I have one if you want it?

Why restrict the airflow with this type of small pipe?

What do want to achieve?
          TDI airbox and paper filter etc?
          All of them restrict airflow and airmass.

Hmmmm.... I know your right, re the restrictions etc, but I’ve started doing longer journeys, and the noise on the motorways just annoys me. I think I’m slowly getting older and more grumpier, and as I’m off to Cornwall this weekend, I thought I’d put the old box back in.

I just want a quiet life

Comment

Originally posted by frenchdna View Post
            Hmmmm.... I know your right, re the restrictions etc, but I’ve started doing longer journeys, and the noise on the motorways just annoys me. I think I’m slowly getting older and more grumpier, and as I’m off to Cornwall this weekend, I thought I’d put the old box back in.

I just want a quiet life
            OK.
            Put a long strip of insulation foam in the offside wing cavity. It hugely reduces the noise in the cab area. Clean out the wing area first of debris.

Also, plug any gaps in the bulkhead making sure all the loom seals are fitted correctly.

Offer still stands if you want the pipe.
            Last edited by Activ8; 20 August 2019, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Your a bugger Rob.

Now you’re be got me thinking I need to put the cone back on.

Can you help me decide on what I want for breakfast too? Cornflakes or muesli? I just can’t decide

Cone or no cone...that is the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                Put a long strip of insulation foam in the offside wing cavity. It hugely reduces the noise in the cab area. Clean out the wing area first of debris.
                Sounds interesting - do you have any pictures of exactly where to put this strip of foam?
                Any is it a wing off job?
                1999 2.5 TDI

Comment

Your a bugger Rob.

Now you’re be got me thinking I need to put the cone back on.

Can you help me decide on what I want for breakfast too? Cornflakes or muesli? I just can’t decide

Cone or no cone...that is the question.
                  Diesels need air/oxygen in abundance. The more you have the sweeter the engine - it becomes more efficient. One (?) of the benefits of the 2.4td is it's unrestrictive unsensored running, don't give it up by installing mechanical impositions.

The Transporters are poorly sound insulated compared to the Caravelle. It's often an area that's over looked compared to the "converted" rear.

Think about repositioning the filter. Try different cones too. I can recommend the K&N Apollo CIS which is mounted to the front of the van - so only pedestrians hear the intake sucking.

Neither cornflakes or muesli - highly processed crap. Porridge oats, flax seed or nuts with cold water. Coffee. No sugars.

Comment

Originally posted by DubDick View Post
                    Sounds interesting - do you have any pictures of exactly where to put this strip of foam?
                    Any is it a wing off job?
                    I use a strip of dense sound insulation foam and caress it into the top cavity leaving a small gap at the base for water and debris. I haven't removed the wing to date as I've been able to access the void through the inner wing opening as I have no airbox. I bought this recently, the inner wing foam airbox 'gasket', I'm sure that would work too.

Comment

Is that the thing that normally grows moss on it?
                      If so mine already has it so should already be sound proofed, right?
                      1999 2.5 TDI

Comment

That's the one. Keeps the van rotting faster. They is only 1 place for it.
                        Bin

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Yep, that's it best place the bin.

Comment

I’ve got to admit...I took mine off when I fitted the cone. It was wet and full of green mould. So it went in the bin.

Now I’ve fitted the box back in... but without the mould foam moss thing.

Comment

I’ve got to admit...I took mine off when I fitted the cone. It was wet and full of green mould. So it went in the bin.

Now I’ve fitted the box back in... but without the mould foam moss thing.
                              Mine was moss covered and the rats decided to to nibble on it. Goes to show how long mines been sat! I'm going to put a cone on mine as my air box will be obsolete because of the new engine and intercooler

It's not about following the trend .... It's about making it!

Comment

Working...
                              X